Author Topic: The Abortion Issue  (Read 35457 times)

Offline D Laurier

• Bishop
  • Never trust a white man with power.
Re: The Abortion Issue
« Reply #165 on: January 28, 2012, 08:21:56 am »
According to the bible (which the anti-abortion people use as their main justification) A baby becomes a person eight days after birth... so abortion is acceptable any time before that
Cable (or satelite) TV is like paying someone to projectile poop all over your brain.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #166 on: January 28, 2012, 08:33:24 am »
The cycle of poverty is very often self-perpetuating. It can't just be chalked up to laziness.

I'm not just chalking it up to laziness.  I have said only a certain percentage can be blamed on that. 
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #167 on: January 28, 2012, 08:45:36 am »
The cycle of poverty is very often self-perpetuating. It can't just be chalked up to laziness.

I'm not just chalking it up to laziness.  I have said only a certain percentage can be blamed on that. 

a very small percentage.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
« Reply #168 on: January 28, 2012, 09:16:12 am »

a very small percentage.
^This. I can only toss my own personal anecdotes in there as well, but everything I've seen of poverty (and I've seen a hell of a lot of it) points to poverty as a self-maintaining cycle. My parents were both from large (8+ kids), poor, abusive families who thoroughly did not prepare their kids for the realities of adult living; this lead to the cycle of desperation, abuse, and poverty repeating itself over fourty times (counting all my aunts, uncles, and cousins) in my family alone, just counting my "near" family.

As I like to put it, you can't get far in a car with too little gas in the tank. If two people - one with a large supply of personal wealth and one who collects bottles every day just to eat - attempt to fill the proverbial tank, the "rich" man will get further. Even if the "rich" guy works hard for his money, he started out with more and doesn't have to struggle nearly that hard to get by, so what funds he has will get him more in the long run. It's just that simple.