Author Topic: Republican Candidates Cain and Gingrich  (Read 2824 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Republican Candidates Cain and Gingrich
« on: January 24, 2012, 01:48:52 pm »
One thing that had me scratching my head is with Newt's recent surge in the polls.  How is it Cain had his candidacy basically shut down after an affair hits the fan yet somehow Gingrich gets a free pass and everyone just shrugs it off and remains popular? Any thoughts/opinions?
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
Re: Republican Candidates Cain and Gingrich
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 01:58:41 pm »
He's white?

QueenofHearts

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 02:03:19 pm »
I believe the answer you're aiming for is race and I'm sure that was a factor. However, Cain's popularity stayed about as consistent as any other candidate's throughout the affair news, so race may not be it. Second, Cain left the race citing family concerns, which I would believe if his wife was just enlightened to Cain's philandering ass (I'd love to be a fly on that wall). Finally, Gingrich is old news. Everyone's heard of that asshole and I'd be surprised if he wasn't having an affair with some 25 year old right now. The news about Herman Cain was fresh and thus more damaging.

Then again, this is assuming that Cain actually intended to run for president and not to sell books.

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 02:04:37 pm »
His affairs are ancient news. Scandal in a politician's private life hurts them most when it is new (to the public).
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 02:11:26 pm »
I believe the answer you're aiming for is race and I'm sure that was a factor.

It's definitely a factor when you combine it with stereotypes about black people, like that they're all slaves to their sexual urges.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 03:48:59 pm »
Cain was accused of sexual harassment and misconduct along with with having an affair.  Herman seems to have gone slightly farther then Newt.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 08:04:11 pm »
Pretty much what everyone's said.  He's white, his affairs are older, and he didn't go as far as Cain did.

Ironbite-also Cain is a fresher face and Newt...well he's a newt.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 10:06:06 pm »
Finally, Gingrich is old news. Everyone's heard of that asshole and I'd be surprised if he wasn't having an affair with some 25 year old right now.
Not my mom, she was bitching about it the other day when heard the whole thing with Newt wanting an "open marriage" with his second wife. I was like, "You didn't hear about Newt fooing around before, during the whole Clinton thing??" But she really doesn't pay that much attention to politics, so..

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 07:58:37 pm »
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 08:38:41 pm »
Romney is a Mormon, which doesn't sit well in many fundamentalist Christian areas. Herman Cain dropped out because his stories of sexual harassment surfaced.

Now for Republicans, it's just a matter of what they hate more: Mormons or adulterers.

inb4 Ron Paul
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 08:46:44 pm »
Cain is a joke. He was always a joke, always would have been a joke, and he knows he's a joke. The difference between him and Vermin Supreme is that Vermin explicitly stated it. Also, Vermin is awesome.

Whether the accusations were brought up or not, Cain would have dropped out soon anyways.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.