Author Topic: Scandal erupts over Bay of Bengal "human safaris"  (Read 7299 times)

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
Scandal erupts over Bay of Bengal "human safaris"
« on: January 25, 2012, 10:30:09 am »
The voice in the video comes from a group of tourists, who have travelled to gawk at the Jarawa people as part of a paid tour. The Jarawa are a nomadic tribe who survive off of the land and have lived largely cut off from the outside world until 1998. Survival International, an organisation that fights for the rights of indigenous populations, has dubbed the degrading practice of shuttling tourists out to ogle, film, and photograph the Jarawa people as a “human safari”.

http://observers.france24.com/content/20120116-india-andaman-island-archapelago-jarawa-tribe-human-safari-tourists

I would add my own observations on this, but I think saying FUCKING RAGE says it all. >:(

Offline rosenewock21

• The Snuffleupagus of the Satanic Sesame Street
  • God
  • Holder of the sleepy time rag
Re: Scandal erupts over Bay of Bengal "human safaris"
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 01:04:06 pm »
This is sad, yes, but not anything new.

There are "human safaris" in South America you can take. Heavily armed "tour guides" lead tourists through the slums so they can say they've seen the real, indigenous people and places of the countries.
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 01:19:24 pm »
This definitely isn't something new but it's being addressed and challenged by indigenous activist groups world wide.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 04:22:08 am »
I'd be fine with this if they got the people's consent, but something tells me that they don't.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 08:42:17 am »
I'd be fine with this if they got the people's consent, but something tells me that they don't.

This.  I have nothing against tribes choosing to use such tourism as a means of support (I've been to a village in Panama that does this sort of thing), but exploiting tribes that DO NOT WANT to be stared at by strangers is a very different thing.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 09:33:57 am »
This is sad, yes, but not anything new.

There are "human safaris" in South America you can take. Heavily armed "tour guides" lead tourists through the slums so they can say they've seen the real, indigenous people and places of the countries.
Yeah definitely got swindled into one in Southern China, they took a tribe out of the jungle and made them do humiliating things. It was a bad one-hour and a total waste of 120 Yuan.