Author Topic: Fairly substantial massacre in Egypt.  (Read 31449 times)

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: Fairly substantial massacre in Egypt.
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2013, 11:14:07 pm »
At this point, I almost would prefer the first world nations marching in and taking complete control of the Middle East. Not forever, but at least until everyone living there now is dead of old age. They've proven themselves unable to handle freedom and independence at all, so it should be taken, just like any criminals'. Sure, there's good people, but they'll just be oppressed and murdered by the people with power, so, fuck you, Middle East.
Oh yay, the white man's burden strikes again! I'm sure it'll work out just as well as it did in the past.
More like, "Could we, oh, idk, perhaps help out instead of just shipping shit there and praying that works?"
Yeah, no.

What you're arguing was the same argument that the European countries used to justify colonialism. Taking control of countries and continents because the natives can't do it properly. It worked ever so well, and totally didn't lead to issues that are still going on now, hundreds of years later.
I understand the issues, and I understand how it can go in the shitter, but things are, well, pretty damn bad already.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2013, 11:14:13 pm »
I'd support it as a UN effort, not 'Murica.
And where would the troops and funding ultimately come from?
It wouldn't be American-controlled, though, but UN. And at least we'd be doing something good with our insane amount of military spending. I can't imagine most members here support theocracies, oppressive dictatorships and the general insanity that is the Middle East.
Yeah, did you notice how I wasn't objecting to who's leading it, but rather the cost? Hell, going through the UN would be even more expensive, since it would be another layer of administrative costs to deal with.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2013, 11:16:54 pm »
I'd support it as a UN effort, not 'Murica.
And where would the troops and funding ultimately come from?
It wouldn't be American-controlled, though, but UN. And at least we'd be doing something good with our insane amount of military spending. I can't imagine most members here support theocracies, oppressive dictatorships and the general insanity that is the Middle East.
Yeah, did you notice how I wasn't objecting to who's leading it, but rather the cost? Hell, going through the UN would be even more expensive, since it would be another layer of administrative costs to deal with.
On the other hand, going to a much larger war (an entire region) might actually help the economy.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2013, 11:22:36 pm »
On the other hand, going to a much larger war (an entire region) might actually help the economy.
Oh sure, just like Iraq and Afghanistan.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2013, 11:31:34 pm »
That was a tiny thing, which was destined to be crap.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2013, 11:36:50 pm »
Indeed. Just imagine the effects magnified a thousand fold. Needless to say, not so good.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2013, 11:40:28 pm »
Indeed. Just imagine the effects magnified a thousand fold. Needless to say, not so good.
On the other hand, remember World War 2 and the Great Depression.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2013, 11:44:04 pm »
The pre-war build up? That had a nice side effect of boosting the economy. The actual war, however, everthing from coal to clothes to food, was hugely expensive and rationed. Every male between the ages of 18-30 was conscripted and all savings went into war bonds. People were really living it up back then.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2013, 11:47:01 pm »
The pre-war build up? That had a nice side effect of boosting the economy. The actual war, however, everthing from coal to clothes to food, was hugely expensive and rationed. Every male between the ages of 18-30 was conscripted and all savings went into war bonds. People were really living it up back then.
I'm not saying to bring back the draft. The buildup helped, though, and I'd actually like to see the option for people to buy war bonds to come back.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2013, 11:57:41 pm »
At this point, I almost would prefer the first world nations marching in and taking complete control of the Middle East. Not forever, but at least until everyone living there now is dead of old age. They've proven themselves unable to handle freedom and independence at all, so it should be taken, just like any criminals'. Sure, there's good people, but they'll just be oppressed and murdered by the people with power, so, fuck you, Middle East.
Oh yay, the white man's burden strikes again! I'm sure it'll work out just as well as it did in the past.
More like, "Could we, oh, idk, perhaps help out instead of just shipping shit there and praying that works?"
Yeah, no.

What you're arguing was the same argument that the European countries used to justify colonialism. Taking control of countries and continents because the natives can't do it properly. It worked ever so well, and totally didn't lead to issues that are still going on now, hundreds of years later.

Can I just point out the irony that the whole reason why Middle Eastern states even exist today is because the League of Nations divided them up into Mandates and handed them over to Britain and France to colonize lead to modernity? And that the Arab leaders, who were originally seeking British help during WWI as they rebelled against the Ottoman Empire, were cheated out of it by the completely secret Sykes-Picot Agreement?
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2013, 12:14:45 am »
The pre-war build up? That had a nice side effect of boosting the economy. The actual war, however, everything from coal to clothes to food, was hugely expensive and rationed. Every male between the ages of 18-30 was conscripted and all savings went into war bonds. People were really living it up back then.
I'm not saying to bring back the draft. The buildup helped, though, and I'd actually like to see the option for people to buy war bonds to come back.
The point is that living in a war economy fucking sucks. Not only is supporting a huge war like that is a massive drain, but also said war becomes #1 priority while the citizens' needs come second. That's why rationing becomes a thing.

Then of course there's the government, and the astronomical amount of debt it would have to wrack up to pay for such a massive war. Like I said, it would turn the entire 1st world into Greece within a week.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2013, 12:25:10 am »
We should give every Middle Eastern nation nuclear warheads and delivery systems. So many, in fact, that nothing remains of the region but a glass parking lot.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Undecided

• The boring one.
  • Bishop
  • Amateur Obfuscator
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2013, 12:47:05 am »
We should give every Middle Eastern nation nuclear warheads and delivery systems. So many, in fact, that nothing remains of the region but a glass parking lot.
We should glass every place that more than a hundred people or so die at once, just to make sure that no residual violence escapes the scene.
You mad, you lose.

People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.
Helen Keller
Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.
Voltaire

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2013, 12:52:09 am »
Yeah, no.

Can I just point out the irony that the whole reason why Middle Eastern states even exist today is because the League of Nations divided them up into Mandates and handed them over to Britain and France to colonize lead to modernity? And that the Arab leaders, who were originally seeking British help during WWI as they rebelled against the Ottoman Empire, were cheated out of it by the completely secret Sykes-Picot Agreement?
Also even after being a colony for 5 years France didn't see the irony of not giving Mali and Morocco and Vietnam self rule

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2013, 04:25:07 am »
Sometimes that does seem like the saner option. I still think it's possible to drag their asses into the modern world, but not without, well, a full takeover.