Author Topic: Burglars Have Change of Heart When Learning Who They Stole From  (Read 3321 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Burglars Have Change of Heart When Learning Who They Stole From
« on: September 10, 2013, 11:30:41 am »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/08/08/210092385/burglars-return-loot-to-group-that-helps-sex-assault-victims/#0001

The burglar (or burglars) who broke into the offices of the San Bernardino County (Calif.) Sexual Assault Services on July 31 and stole several computers and monitors apparently had a change of heart after finding out that the people at the agency help victims of sexual violence.

The next night, someone returned the stolen goods and also left behind a note, as the California Governor's Office of Emergency Services and local news outlets report. The note's message:

"We had no idea what we were takeing. Here your stuff back. We hope that you guys can continue to make a difference in peoples live. God bless."

While they shouldn't have stolen it in the first place, it's nice to see that there are still good people in the world who are willing to return things for the greater good.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Burglars Have Change of Heart When Learning Who They Stole From
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 02:31:52 pm »
That must've been a relief for the people who work there.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 02:32:42 pm »
Consciences are great.  More people should use theirs.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 02:50:48 pm »
Consciences are great.  More people should use theirs.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 03:20:30 pm »
Makes sense. It's one thing to rob a rich business, another to rob something like that. I admit, I laugh whenever places like Walmart get robbed, because, well, pure evil (unless someone's hurt, obviously).
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 05:22:25 pm »
I bet most burglars would feel bad about it if they found out later they stole from a good non-profit...but how many would have the balls to take the risk involved in returning the guilt-making loot? These guys went beyond and over the line into Robin Hood land. The fact that they rob businesses and not people's homes, which really traumatizes your sense of personal safety for ages afterwards, puts them on the lighter side of criminal behavior to begin with.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 09:56:22 pm »
I bet most burglars would feel bad about it if they found out later they stole from a good non-profit...but how many would have the balls to take the risk involved in returning the guilt-making loot? These guys went beyond and over the line into Robin Hood land. The fact that they rob businesses and not people's homes, which really traumatizes your sense of personal safety for ages afterwards, puts them on the lighter side of criminal behavior to begin with.

I would think "Robin Hood land" would require them to steal from someone else and then donate to the non-profit.
Σא

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 09:58:04 pm »
Agreed. I wish they would stick to chain stores like CVS and Walgreens and stuff, rather than small businesses, since small businesses might actually be harmed, though.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 10:10:39 pm »
Unfortunately stealing from Walmart results in pay cuts for workers, workers getting laid off, and prices hiking up for other customers.

I don't exactly have any schadenfreude for big name stores getting stolen from because of factors like that.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 10:43:00 pm »
Unfortunately stealing from Walmart results in pay cuts for workers, workers getting laid off, and prices hiking up for other customers.

I don't exactly have any schadenfreude for big name stores getting stolen from because of factors like that.
^THIS! SO MUCH THIS! Everyone's hours have been cut at work because we've been losing so much money, in part due to the fact that we find the remains of like, $200 worth of movies and games some asshole kid stole almost every day. So no, people who steal from big box stores aren't hurting the corporation at all, they're only hurting the employees who probably don't want to be there in the first place.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 10:45:19 pm »
Nah, Wally's just makes a business insurance/inventory and property insurance loss claim, and writes off the down time from their business income tax return. Only a hand-to-mouth small business model would "need" to carve a theft loss out of the employees' backs (really, it would logically come out of the owner's income, but we're talking the douchebag scenario, here). When a big company does that shit anyway, they are lying as to the reason - the aftermath of a burglary did not necessitate that action. They just want to see how few people they can run the place with as to work load and wage freezes. And then the managers take up that savings into a bonus or pay raise for themselves.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 08:48:50 am »
Nah, Wally's just makes a business insurance/inventory and property insurance loss claim, and writes off the down time from their business income tax return. Only a hand-to-mouth small business model would "need" to carve a theft loss out of the employees' backs (really, it would logically come out of the owner's income, but we're talking the douchebag scenario, here). When a big company does that shit anyway, they are lying as to the reason - the aftermath of a burglary did not necessitate that action. They just want to see how few people they can run the place with as to work load and wage freezes. And then the managers take up that savings into a bonus or pay raise for themselves.

WRONG WRONG WRONG YOU'RE SO WRONG IT HURTS!

Wally world takes it out of the employees' paychecks because they can.  On the basis that if they had been more vigilant, they would've seen the theft taking place and stopped it.  Despite the fact they're not supposed to do that.

Ironbite-yeah there's a prime bit of logic.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 11:39:37 am »

WRONG WRONG WRONG YOU'RE SO WRONG IT HURTS!

Wally world takes it out of the employees' paychecks because they can.  On the basis that if they had been more vigilant, they would've seen the theft taking place and stopped it.  Despite the fact they're not supposed to do that.
Ironbite-yeah there's a prime bit of logic.
;D But where did I defend their actions in that post? Really, if Wally's has convinced their employees that shoplifting and burglaries necessitate wage cuts/hours reductions out of their employees, they've already won half the battle. A typical Walmart store can absorb a high incidence of pilfering and shoplifting and even a robbery or two with aplomb. And were that store to get "hit" really hard in inventory loss, they just make a claim on their business insurance inventory loss rider.
Ibby, we both posted the same thing in different words....