Author Topic: A blue Georgia?  (Read 1147 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
A blue Georgia?
« on: December 24, 2013, 03:23:37 am »
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/12/23/georgia-turning-blue/

I talked about how in California the GOP is losing grounds in some of their traditional seats like in Ventura, Imperial, and San Diego county. But California is generally considered a moderate left state already. Now there is suggestion that Georgia is shifting to the left to become a swing state instead of a red state. Mind you the link is addicting info so take some of their assessment with a grain of salt. They're overly optimistic in my opinion. But they make a point in the fact that Georgia's demographically is shifting and that the GOP isn't doing much to keep in touch with his shifting demographic. Just like how nationally the GOP failed to win over non-white voters, the shifting demographic may become worrisome for the GOP. And the continuing support of homophobic figures mean they lose Atlanta's 11% LGBTQ populations. It's an interesting thing to see a Deep South State shift blue.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: A blue Georgia?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 04:03:23 am »
Eh, GA's kind of forgotten in that politicians assume, either Democrat or Republican that it'll automatically be a Republican-won state so there's not much ballyhoo that goes on down here, politically, compared to the more 'important' traditional swing states.  It's gonna bite the Reps in the butt one of these days.  Never assume, as the saying goes.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 04:20:58 am »
If all the black Georgians voted there would be a major dent in the GOP base 

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 01:47:11 pm »
Atlanta, Savannah, and Macon are still growing quite rapidly, and are cosmopolitan enough to be attractive to blue voters from everywhere. It's basically a liberal leaning city-state versus conservative ex-urb and countryside thing. We used to joke about the Perimeter (the US interstate highway I-285 ring road around the periphery of metro Atlanta) as being the Great Wall of Atlanta....keeping out the redneck barbarians. Now, even the ex-urbs and rural counties are becoming more moderate, as the younger people start voting. The internet does more good for opening up people's minds than bad, over all. Give it ten years and Georgia will at the very least be a swing state. In the meanwhile, I predict that Florida will become reliably blue in five more years.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 04:37:05 pm »
The great thing is that places like Atlanta are the jumping off point. And as more and more 'red blooded American Republicans' die off in the south, there is going to be a natural shift. Maybe not all blue, but certainly a swing.

It's how Atlanta and places like Orlanda, Florida are so progressive and liberal and more people are moving to such places as well as surrounding cities.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

QueenofHearts

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 05:28:04 pm »
I don't see how this is news... even assuming it's true, Virginia 8 years ago shifted the political landscape towards the Dems and VA remains the bellweather of the nation (at least for now).

Georgia is just the snowball growing as it rolls downhill.

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 11:12:03 am »
I still remember when so much right wing bull shit was coming out of Colorado.

Obviously not so much today.

So yes it's possible.

Just wish it was my state doing this.
Even our Dems tend to be right wing at least little
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor