Author Topic: Star Wars thread  (Read 35569 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Star Wars thread
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 01:05:51 am »
All I know is, no matter how good the movie actually is, there will be 50 dozen people complaining that it's the worst thing ever made.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 02:10:31 am »
All I know is, no matter how good the movie actually is, there will be 50 dozen people complaining that it's the worst thing ever made.

Even 50 thousand is still a low estimate of the complainers.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 05:58:56 am »
Was it Abrams' decision to get rid of the EU? I would think that a decision like that woul come from higher up in the Disney management.

I'm pretty sure Abrams had nothing to do with the decision.  He's just getting blamed for it. 

As for the EU, I'm going to miss the X Wing series (especially Wes Janson and Wraith Squadron) and the Thrawn Trilogy, but I'm sure we'll see little tidbits here and there.  I'm definitely glad to see pretty much every thing else gone.  NJO was okay, but I did not like LOTF and hated FOTJ.  I know people are huge fans of those and that's fine.  But as far as I'm concerned, good riddance.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 10:42:29 am »
I wonder if Abrams should get some kind of "Slayer of Canon" award for killing off not only the Star Wars EU but also the entire Star Trek canon minus Enterprise?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 03:38:15 pm »
I wonder if Abrams should get some kind of "Slayer of Canon" award for killing off not only the Star Wars EU but also the entire Star Trek canon minus Enterprise?

You mean the canon that's confirmed to still exist because his movies literally take place in another dimension which has actually crossed with the main canon at one point?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2014, 04:42:47 pm »
Depends on how one interprets the effects of time travel. Usually, when one alters a timeline like that, the previous timeline ceases to exist though. At least, that's the interpretation most commonly used in Star Trek.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2014, 04:53:07 pm »
Depends on how one interprets the effects of time travel. Usually, when one alters a timeline like that, the previous timeline ceases to exist though. At least, that's the interpretation most commonly used in Star Trek.

And that's an assumption.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2014, 04:56:43 pm »
Was it Abrams' decision to get rid of the EU? I would think that a decision like that woul come from higher up in the Disney management.
Are you suggesting that a souless bean counter decided to kill off all the elements of the Star Wars franchise that they don't own and hit the re-set button thereby ensuring that Disney maintains absolute financial and developmental control from this point onward as well as doing a pretty good job of cutting off at the knees any potential claims of intellectual copyright infringement on Disney's part?  ;)

I'm guessing when you spend $4.05 billion on something you've got to milk it for all its worth.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2014, 05:00:32 pm »
I suppose one could go with the Legend of Zelda approach where altering the timeline just creates a second parallel timeline coexisting simultaneously with the previous one, which seems to be what the writers suggested. I don't remember that occurring anywhere else in Star Trek though. Indeed, "City on the Edge of Forever," "Yesterday's Enterprise," "Past Tense," First Contact, etc. all use the single-timeline model.

But then, why is the Star Wars Expanded Universe dead now while the Star Trek Prime Universe is still alive? I'd say they're in the same position: still open to new fanwork but no longer active in official productions.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 05:05:31 pm by Random Guy »

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2014, 06:11:38 pm »

Since when? There are many episodes dealing with a "mirror universe" where things are different because people are different, and one TNG episode had Worf jumping from timeline to timeline.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2014, 11:00:30 pm »
Star trek has had timetravel and alternate realities before. One of my friends who is more of a Trekkie said that at least in the previous versions the old timeline remains and a new one is created in situation like the Star Trek Reboot movie.

It was a perfect way for them to do a reboot without making the old series and movies non-canon.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2014, 06:55:41 pm »
Random question:

If you were going to buy a Lightsaber toy, which do you think is more important?

That it glows (and/or makes noise) or that it extends and retracts?

Offline R. U. Sirius

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2014, 08:05:55 pm »
Random question:

If you were going to buy a Lightsaber toy, which do you think is more important?

That it glows (and/or makes noise) or that it extends and retracts?

The glowing and sounds will always be more important, since we don't yet have strong enough materials to create a retractable blade sturdy enough to stand up to any but the lightest strikes.

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2014, 04:52:23 am »
We have several, and they all . . . um . . . extend and retract. 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline R. U. Sirius

• The Beast
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2014, 02:02:42 pm »
I haven't seen any, at least not available as lightsaber toys. The only extendable lightsaber toys I've seen are the crappy nesting plastic ones (no idea what the technical term for it would be) that break on the first good hit.

So yeah, I'll stick with glowing and sounds being more important.