Author Topic: So my brother converted.......  (Read 7498 times)

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
So my brother converted.......
« on: November 12, 2015, 05:51:08 pm »
....to the Mormon religion... is that called Mormonism? I'm not sure, but anyway....

I'm just putting this out there because I'm curious what is different about the Mormon religion from other Christian religions? My brother's still being a jackass, so I'm not gonna ask HIM about it... he gave me the dirtiest look imaginable after he told us we'd be saying grace before dinner when I was visiting my parents and I jokingly said "May the Goddess bless us all?" I'm hoping that he doesn't start hating on gays like many Mormons I've heard about (my dad would likely have a few very choice words for him if he did, thankfully. My dad may be a very devout RC but he doesn't agree with discriminating against homosexuals).

So... yeah, just more curious than anything... what makes Mormons different?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: So my brother converted.......
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 05:59:42 pm »
...weird posthumous conversion rituals.

I remember hearing David J Stewart rambling about Mormons believing they can eventually become gods of other planets, but Dirty Old Dave doesn't do the research even on rival Christian sects.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 06:02:16 pm »
your dad's gonna flip. the rcc considers the mormons heretics. basically (and i may be wrong), their prophet joseph smith (known fraud, hack, and all-round demagogue) claimed to have proof that jesus roamed the us of a before he got crucified. there, he punished the ameridians with red skin for not believing in him, and went back to the middle east to get crucified. among other things, mormons believe that they're the one true american faith, that polygamy is fine (until the inclusion in the union of utah in what? 1877?) that gays are teh icky, and so are stimulants (no smokes, no drugs, no booze, no coffee).

also, the golden tablets that could only be read by joe smith by hiding them in a hat and using special glasses to read them. the book of mormon comes from these tablets. it reads like a crackfic.

i am now calling for backup because i feel out of my league.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 06:11:26 pm »
Remember Skyfire?  That's typical Mormon behavior.

Ironbite-HAVE FUN!

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 06:13:08 pm »
I thought the story was that Jesus visited America after the Resurrection and did the cursing and such then. Also, that the natives were descended from at least one of the Lost Tribes of Israel.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 06:14:22 pm »
....to the Mormon religion... is that called Mormonism? I'm not sure, but anyway....

I'm just putting this out there because I'm curious what is different about the Mormon religion from other Christian religions? My brother's still being a jackass, so I'm not gonna ask HIM about it... he gave me the dirtiest look imaginable after he told us we'd be saying grace before dinner when I was visiting my parents and I jokingly said "May the Goddess bless us all?" I'm hoping that he doesn't start hating on gays like many Mormons I've heard about (my dad would likely have a few very choice words for him if he did, thankfully. My dad may be a very devout RC but he doesn't agree with discriminating against homosexuals).

There are a number of fundamental differences between their beliefs and those of mainstream Christians.  For example, they believe that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three separate beings.

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 07:02:28 pm »
My dad doesn't care that he converted to it... he's the sort that feels that as long as you believe in SOMETHING, it's all good. And he's happy my brother quit drinking (he was going through a case of beer a day) and quit smoking, both smokes and weed. And since we're in Canada, I don't know if it's going to be as bad as from what I've heard in the States...

It just sounds... weird from what I'm seeing so far. Then again, as a Pagan, maybe I shouldn't talk. :P

As long as he doesn't try converting me, we'll be fine. It just ticks me off that only a couple months ago, he went through this nice gesture to "make the peace" between me and him.... and now he's suddenly acting like an asshole again.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 07:43:42 pm »
Being that the Mormon faith follows a strong cult like behavior don't be surprised when his church tells him to cut communication and ties with family members that don't believe like they do.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 08:24:10 pm »

There are a number of fundamental differences between their beliefs and those of mainstream Christians.  For example, they believe that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three separate beings.

This is one of the biggest ones, for sure. It's worth noting that they don't accept any of the ecumenical councils, not even First Nicaea or First Constantinople.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 09:37:34 pm »
Mormonism is just weird, to be honest.

It all started when the con artist prophet Joseph Smith made up a story about was visited by an angel, who told him that he would be the one to restore the fallen church. The angel led him to a set of golden plates buried in upstate New York, which Smith translated using bullshit mystical powers, and produced a narrative called the Book of Mormon.

It and other documents describe God as being an ascended being from the star Kolob, who physically produced humans as "spirit children" who could one day create and rule their own little universes if they were good enough Mormons in life. The narrative centers around the Nephites and Lamanites, refugees from the Babylonian invasion of Israel who fled across two oceans and settled in the Americas. Jesus apparently visited them after His resurrection. The good Nephites and the evil Lamanites apparently fought each other often, culminating in the Lamanites destroying the Nephites and becoming the ancestors of today's Native Americans. Of course, the Lamanites were cursed with having a "skin of blackness" at one point, explaining why Native Americans have brown skin and why they should be subjugated under whites.

As the above post states, Mormons do not accept any church councils as valid. According to Joseph Smith, the entire church fell away from God around 100 AD and has ben living in darkness since. The Mormon church is considered to be God's restoration of the original faith, and the only True Church in existence.

Moromns do have a secretive, cult-like aspect to them, I'll admit. Many of their rituals are performed in temples where non-Mormons are not allowed to enter, and are discussed little with outsiders. I lived in Utah during the summer of 2009 when I was working as a docent at Dinosaur National Monument, and it was different from most other places I'd done similar work in. Everything looked similar to typical clean, small-town life, but there were a lot of subtle things that just seemed "off" or wrong about the place that are hard to explain.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 12:34:45 am »
This is completely personal opinion with no actual research.

From what I remember about the Mormons though is that Joseph Smith basically created a cult similar to Ron Hubbard's Scientology. The teaching and rules of his little cult pretty much changed on whimsy based on what he wanted at the time. Initially he was happily married to his wife, but then wanted to go and fuck other women, so all of a sudden the Mormonism encouraged polygamy. There were a few other times when the rules just changed all of a sudden to suit Joseph Smith, but I cant remember them off hand.

Short version they were a cult centered around Smith, and have since somehow gained legitimacy. They were based off of Christianity as its was easier to convert people from Christianity to something similar than something altogether new. However as I said each time something in Christianity got in Smiths way, suddenly new insight found out that he was right all along.

Being that the Mormon faith follows a strong cult like behavior don't be surprised when his church tells him to cut communication and ties with family members that don't believe like they do.

I think I remember hearing stories about this, not quite as bad as the Scientologists, but they do actively seek to separate believers from families who dont believe.

However as I stated, all stuff I heard around, none of it researched.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 02:03:06 am »
I KNEW THE KOLOB AND SPIRIT CHILDREN-UNIVERSE GOD THING WAS REAL!!

...J Stewart made the story sound LESS insane than it actually is.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 02:35:41 am »

Yeah, I think they still talk about Mormons who died in the Holocaust because they posthumously converted many of the dead... Israel has told them to stop it several times but they still do it because they think that by claiming that famous person being "posthumously" converted into Mormonism will mean that they can brag about them. I've told this before but at some point Mormons came to Finland and took microfilm images of the Church records so that they could be used for these posthumous conversions and afterwards the microfilms were donated to the Church. People who study their ancestry in Finland are grateful for that last bit since it meant that we got free copies of historical documents at a time when no digital copies existed.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 07:56:54 am »

Yeah, I think they still talk about Mormons who died in the Holocaust because they posthumously converted many of the dead... Israel has told them to stop it several times but they still do it because they think that by claiming that famous person being "posthumously" converted into Mormonism will mean that they can brag about them. I've told this before but at some point Mormons came to Finland and took microfilm images of the Church records so that they could be used for these posthumous conversions and afterwards the microfilms were donated to the Church. People who study their ancestry in Finland are grateful for that last bit since it meant that we got free copies of historical documents at a time when no digital copies existed.

that's like ten kinds of immoral, right there.... wonder why it didn't make a bigger splash.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Even Then

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 07:59:04 am »
Wow, FUCK Mormons.