Author Topic: Small (and/or Cheap), Useful Things  (Read 3045 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Small (and/or Cheap), Useful Things
« on: December 28, 2015, 10:07:14 am »
Continuing with my trend of starting topics about things in life that are handy, why not talk about the little things that make life just that much easier?  Things like...

• A cheap multitool.  You don't really need one of the ultra-expensive, name-brand multitools you get at Sears or something.  Even a $10 thing you pick up at Home Depot or Lowes is incredibly useful.  Most household tasks, or tasks when you're out and about, can be solved with a pair of pliers, a screwdriver, a knife, and a saw.
  • Duct tape.  For a quick-fix until you can get something properly done, nothing does it like duct tape.  Pipes spring a leak in winter?  A little duct tape can mend it til you can get a replacement pipe.
  • A can of WD-40.  I love my can of WD-40.  Why?  Because I absolutely loathe squeaky hinges sliding doors that hitch up every other time you open 'em.  Its also imminently handy when screws and such are seized up and a little can help keep other sliding mechanisms (even those on certain kinds of phones) moving smoothly.  I haven't found a thing yet that isn't loosened up by a quick spray of WD-40.
  • A pocket notebook and a working pen.  Jotting down notes for games, ideas, grocery lists, tidbits of important info, and so on.  I've always got at least one pocket notebook around somewhere in case I need it.

What other little things make life easier for you guys?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: Small (and/or Cheap), Useful Things
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 11:42:42 am »
You mentioned a multitool. They're nice for a tackle box or backpack on a bike. But I'd suggest a small pocket knife.
In my wallet, I have two items always. First is a little business card sized piece of paper with medicinal allergies, blood type, and emergency contacts. Anything to make the police or medics job easier if they were to stumble upon me. The other cheap useful thing in my wallet is a spare car key. We've all done it at some point.
In my car, I keep a roll of toilet paper. Great emergency tissues as well as wiping of the window when they fog up. Not to mention sometimes on a road trip nature calls.
ETA: I keep a lighter around. And not just because I'm a smoker, but having the ability to light birthday or scented candles or firecrackers can be very handy.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 11:48:00 am by rookie »
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 12:46:34 pm »
my every day carry is a sharp blade, a credit card, and a lighter. my blade is a claw, so inwardly curving. i've used it to jimmy doors open as well as an improvised screwdriver. the credit card is self explanatory, and the lighter... you can't survive anywhere without a means of lighting a fire.

in my car, i keep towels, a survival blanket, and about 100ft of paracord, as well as flint and steel. you never know.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 12:49:43 pm »
I agree with the lighter, even if its just a cheap-ass Bic cigarette lighter you get at a gas station.  Prolly gonna add that one to the list of things I carry with me when I go out.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 11:47:34 am »
I would. Throw it in the glove box and forget about it until you need to light a birthday candle.

My pocket knife is actually a Buck. A classy Dad kind of knife that I can pull out in almost any kind of situation that isn't self defence. The kind that won't frighten suburban mothers.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 01:00:48 pm »
I would. Throw it in the glove box and forget about it until you need to light a birthday candle.

My pocket knife is actually a Buck. A classy Dad kind of knife that I can pull out in almost any kind of situation that isn't self defence. The kind that won't frighten suburban mothers.

damn, you've got taste. a friend of mine's got one. beautiful blade. i really should invest in a less scary knife, maybe a nice horn-handled laguiole with a corkscrew, but i'm too comfortable with claw-blades... oh well, guess i'll just have to buy another knife for my collection, poor me...
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 02:29:08 pm »
A cheap Wi-Fi Kindle. Like the $39 kind. Should your laptop or pc die on ya, it's a lifesaver. That's how I was able to order the laptop I'm posting with now, and pay my bills and check email and shit while waiting for it to arrive.

Better yet, get the lowest cost 3G Kindle. The browsers on them are a bit slow, but no worse than a cheap smartphone. The 3G service is basically free for low bandwidth apps, email and web browsing, courtesy of Amazon. Buy a $1 book now and then, or shop Amazon on the Kindle occasionally, and they'll never charge you a dime for the connection.

There are literally millions of free classic titles and super cheap and excellent indie books, plus fun but super old school games and useful things like Mobi Weather, temp and distance converters, etc. The battery lasts 5 times longer than a smartphone or tablet, even with Wi-Fi left on, and will stay good for 12 days used just as a reader, or 3 to 6 weeks on standby if unused. Takes less than 2 hours to charge with the wall socket connection, 4 hours via USB.

Also, if while browsing you find the images too small, use the zoom just to toggle the Mobile Version page button, and it's all good; the smallest Kindle screen is vast compared to any phone, in glorious HD greyscale with no screen glare or eyestrain.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 12:54:13 pm »
I like to have a packet of Sugru around in case I need it.  Even better than duct tape for some applications (especially since it's actually weatherproof).

I always carry a ballpoint pen (gel ink, because I'm an ink snob).  You'd be surprised how useful a sharp, thin, poking utensil can be at times.

And the two "girly" things:

- A portable purse hook.  Perfect for any place with a horizontal surface and dodgy floors.  And no, you can't always hang it on a chair and get it to stay.

- A compact mirror.  Yes, makeup touch-ups are nice, but it's also good for signal-flashing in an emergency.  (Plus, mine has R2-D2 on it, which makes everything better.)
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 01:20:17 am »
Most of the obvious stuff has already been mentioned, but here are three things I always take with me if I'm planning to be gone for more than fifteen minutes:
-Chapstick. Self explanatory, and it can also be used to soothe small cuts and skin irritation or to make something small slippery and/or flammable.
-A PocketJuice. This was a lifesaver when I worked two hours from home and wanted to listen to music while working. I got a basic brand-name one for $5 at Walmart, and it works exactly as advertised.
-Yarn and crochet hook/knitting needles - if you don't know how to use them, the internet can teach you in about an hour, or else befriend someone who knows what they're doing and ask for help. I only take this for longer trips or ones where I'm not driving, but it's a great way to do something productive while you're waiting for something else to happen. I keep mine either in the front kangaroo pocket of my hoodie, or in a small book bag that I carry with me. (Little old ladies striking up nice conversations is an added bonus.)
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 02:06:40 am »
Double posting to add some things I keep in my car:
- A change of clothes in two garbage bags. T-shirt, sweatpants, sweatshirt, two pairs of socks, underwear. I've never needed it, but it doesn't take up much space in my trunk and it's nice to know I have it. The extra pair of socks can be doubled up for more protection from the elements, stretched over shoes to make walking on ice easier, used as mittens, or a hundred other things. The garbage bags can be used as a makeshift rain poncho or, you know, to hold garbage. I also stashed $30 in the pocket of the sweatpants for safe keeping.
- Pads and tampons. Not just because I or a companion might need them, but the cotton from a clean tampon can be used to start a fire in an emergency or to help dress a wound.
- Jumper cables. Duh.
- A seatbelt cutter/window breaker. I keep it in the center console so it's close at hand, and the blade can cut through other stuff of the right dimensions too. Inspired by Mythbusters and a scarily vivid dream about being trapped in my car as it sank.
- Cheap cat litter. In case I end up in a ditch or spill something in my car. (It'll keep the worst of it from soaking in while I drive to a gas station to use their napkins and vacuum cleaner.)
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 11:41:22 am »
When I had my truck I kept kitty litter in the bed in the winter. Anything to get weight on the drive axle, and it was handy when stuck on some ice.