Author Topic: Now let the madness begin  (Read 4093 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Now let the madness begin
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 02:06:10 am »
Am I the only one who thinks it is silly that there are these few states that will determine who will win and the others are just taken for granted? Like the candidates spend all their time trying to win over a few key locations and the rest of the country never does anything about it?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 06:17:04 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu4RcDK8hZc

So the only reason Clinton won was because of 6 coin tosses in her favor.  But this does show something important.  Up until this point, a number of Clinton supporters claimed Sanders had no prayer.  Not only did this prove otherwise, but the fact that a series of coin tosses is the only reason Sanders lost that state means he still has a chance.  Let's hope this gets people fired up enough that they get out and vote for him so that those 6 coins are the only $ Clinton gets from here on in the election.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 06:36:09 am »
I had trouble believing that even USA would use coin toss rather than COUNTING THE DAMN VOTES to choose election winners and 5 seconds of searching the net does seem to reveal that this was an exaggeration:

http://www.npr.org/2016/02/02/465268206/coin-toss-fact-check-no-coin-flips-did-not-win-iowa-for-hillary-clinton

Not a huge exaggeration as they do use coin toss ...Why? When will USA finally start to move towards democracy and letting the people vote for their leaders? ...But if this had been up to coin tosses Clinton would have needed to win more than forty of them.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 07:13:29 am »
Holy shit... The system was probably the most practical one with 18th century infrastructure but why the hell it is still used?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 08:17:17 am »
This is the same government that insists its software engineers support IE8.  Actually adapting to the times is not something they do.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 09:12:11 am »
Well I'm glad there was more to it than a simple coin toss deciding the winner.  But the fact still stands that Sanders still has a chance to win and Clinton's chances are no longer 100%.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 11:26:22 am »
Am I the only one who thinks it is silly that there are these few states that will determine who will win and the others are just taken for granted? Like the candidates spend all their time trying to win over a few key locations and the rest of the country never does anything about it?

Because our electoral system is fucked up?? Same thing goes with general election, that's why I like to remind people who live in solid red or blue states that they're some wiggle room as to voting for a 3rd party.

As to the coin flip stuff, I think it's the most asinine way of determining a winner no matter who wins, but the "caucus" is outright bizarre to begin with, and prefer primaries myself.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:30:46 am by nickiknack »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 11:32:05 am »
If this is anything like the Filibuster and Gerrymandering bullshit that also exist in USA then the main reason why nothing is done is that everyone feels that "other people" are hurt more by the process.

...I mean, Filibuster exist because both parties are afraid that they lose some future election and lose their ability to stall and prevent the winners from accomplishing stuff and Gerrymandering exists because even though removing it would stop anyone abusing it, doing so would also stop YOU from abusing the system. ...And fair play is seen as a worse option than both parties having the ability to cheat and abuse the rules.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 12:31:44 pm »
"It's a midterm in 2010", they said. "I don't care who my state legislators are", they said.

Reap the decade-long whirlwind.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 08:02:30 pm »
Reality has never been something the Powers that Be has had any interest in.

Ironbite-as it tends to go against their interests.

You failed to address a single point that I raised. You simply hand-waved it away by saying that the conspirators were inept.

The_Queen: Which really begs the question, if these conspirators are completely divorced from reality, then why should I concern myself with them any more than I should with Professor Chaos?
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2016, 04:34:25 am »
New Hampshire is today and I can't wait to see the results.  Hopefully this is it for Bush and Carson and Sanders takes it here.

Ironbite- looking forward to the results

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 07:42:20 pm »
Seems The Donald has a much better ground game this time.

Its kinda scary when he shows he doesn't make the same mistakes twice - not as dumb as he acts.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2016, 08:08:30 pm »
Well, google appears to be calling New Hampshire for Trump and Sanders. Glad I won't have to stay up late tonight to find out who won.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2016, 09:32:22 pm »
Would make sense, given they started casting ballots at midnight. They don't fool around in New Hampshire.