Author Topic: Australians express support for same-sex marriage  (Read 1363 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Australians express support for same-sex marriage
« on: November 15, 2017, 12:37:29 am »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/australia-same-sex-marriage-1.4402216

It looks like Aussies are in favour of same-sex marriage.

According the Australian Bureau of Statistics, 79.5 per cent of those eligible to participate responded to the survey. Of those, 61.6 per cent supported a change to the law, while 38.4 per cent did not.

In Australia, voting in elections and referenda is compulsory, but the Senate refused to fund a binding vote. Almost 80 per cent of more than 16 million registered voters posted ballots in the voluntary survey, which gay marriage advocates opposed as an unnecessary obstacle and opponents derided as being about a boutique issue of little public interest.

The UN Human Rights Committee last week criticized Australia for putting gays and lesbians "through an unnecessary and divisive public opinion poll." The committee called on Australia to legislate for marriage equality regardless of the survey's outcome.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: Australians express support for same-sex marriage
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 04:52:51 am »
Whaddaya know, Australian conservatives are already using the results of the plebiscite to try to push through more legally sanctioned discrimination!

Best quote of the day goes to the journo who covered 'No' campaigner and 'conversion therapy' snake oil salesman, Lyle Shelton's concession speech.

Shelton himself looked like a man trying very hard to not look like he’d just been brutally owned. He was smiling, gracious in defeat except for the part where he tried to say the Yes campaign had a decade’s head start on campaigning, and also the part where he backed the Paterson bill as a reasonable step forward.

The Paterson bill being once-proposed legislation that would not have change the legal definition of marriage but merely ads gay marriage as a separate form of marriage that some could choose to believe in-and allow bakers and others to refuse service to gays. The bill was such a turkey that the senator who bore it's name recently dropped it.

Fuckin' delicious!

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:26:22 am by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 05:23:59 am »
Folks in Finland are already complaining about Australia for allowing same-sex marriage. Yes, we passed a similar law a while ago but they still haven't given up.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 05:47:15 am »
Folks in Finland are already complaining about Australia for allowing same-sex marriage. Yes, we passed a similar law a while ago but they still haven't given up.

I haven't looked at the local Catholic paper for years now, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they still call it same-sex "marriage".
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 11:50:40 am »
Good! I hope Australia gets in step with the rest of the Anglosphere on this.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:44:45 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/australia-same-sex-marriage-1.4436992

Same-sex marriage is now legal in Australia.

Online ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 01:07:54 pm »
YAY!

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 01:39:43 pm »
Wonderful! It's nice to hear about something good happening, for once.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 03:44:22 pm »
About bloody time!