Author Topic: Using recess power, Obama putting Cordray in job (Updated)  (Read 5752 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Using recess power, Obama putting Cordray in job (Updated)
« on: January 04, 2012, 02:16:02 pm »
WASHINGTON (AP) — In a defiant display of executive power, President Barack Obama on Wednesday will buck GOP opposition and name Richard Cordray as the nation's chief consumer watchdog. Outraged Republican leaders in Congress suggested that courts would determine the appointment was illegal.

With a director in place, the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau can start overseeing the mortgage companies, payday lenders, debt collectors and other financial operations often blamed for practices that helped tank the economy. Even before Obama announced the move in an appearance in Ohio, Cordray said he would begin work right away.

Politically, the move immediately raised the level of confrontation for a president seeking re-election by championing the middle class and challenging an unpopular Congress. Acting right after Tuesday's GOP presidential caucuses in Iowa, Obama sought to grab attention and show he would not be slowed by making his most brazen leap-frog over Congress.

Republicans have halted Cordray's nomination because they think the consumer agency is too powerful and unaccountable. Leaders of the party responded in blistering fashion.

The Senate's top Republican, Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, accused Obama of an unprecedented power grab that "arrogantly circumvented the American people."

Added House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio: "It's clear the president would rather trample our system of separation of powers than work with Republicans to move the country forward. This action goes beyond the president's authority, and I expect the courts will find the appointment to be illegitimate."

It was unclear who might undertake a legal fight. But people familiar with the matter said an outside private group regulated by the consumer agency might be in the best legal position.

By his move, Obama essentially is declaring that the Senate's short off-and-on legislative sessions are a sham intended to block him and do not count.

Yet it was his own party that started the practice when George W. Bush was president.

The White House braced for fallout, but said Obama was left with little choice to get the consumer agency fully running after months of stalemate.

White House communications director Dan Pfeiffer announced Obama's move on Twitter after senior administration officials first confirmed it to The Associated Press. Obama spokesman Jay Carney said White House lawyers have determined Obama is within his bounds to appoint Cordray now.

Cordray is expected to formally take over the job later in the week and stands to serve for at least the next two years, covering the length of the Senate's session.

source - http://news.yahoo.com/using-recess-power-obama-putting-cordray-job-162516090.html

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Look at the republicans BAAAW.  Go figure it took a election year for Obama to find his spine...and balls all at once, now lets hope he keeps them found and doesn't lose them down the road.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:17:09 pm by CaseAgainstFaith »
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Keiro Dreamwalker

• An Puisín Faolchú
  • Pope
Re: Using recess power, Obama putting Cordray in job
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:23:50 pm »
... Indeed. He just raised his chances of getting a vote from me.
You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones. Remember this, on this journey you insist on making. If you die, I will not survive you long. Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!

People so seldom say "I love you". And then it's either too late or love goes. So when I tell you I love you, It doesn't mean I know you'll never go, only that I wish you didn't have to.

shykid

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 02:57:53 pm »
GOP: "Bawwwwwwwwwww."

This is like a bully whining and crying foul after his victim had enough and slugged him in the jaw.

Normally, I would think this is a pretty shitty and underhanded move from Obama, but given the circumstances, I think it is perfectly excusable. It's not okay to do something just because "the other guy did it to me too", but you have a valid reason when that person is purposely obstructing everything you do to sabotage your career. It's kind of like how shooting someone is okay if they hold a gun to your head; it's "self-defense" so to speak. It has been known since day one that the Republicans are playing politics and strategically blocking anything Obama does to ruin his chances of re-election, and this is not just speculation on my part: they've even more or less said that was their plan. If the other side doesn't want to play nice and be reasonable, then you have to stoop to their level to get anything done and prevent them from running all over you.

Either way, this was perfectly legal and within his power, AFAIK (though someone correct me if I am wrong). Still, rules and laws are not made to be mindlessly followed, but rather to ensure justice and fairness. Breaking them is sometimes not only justified, but it is also the right thing to do (e.g. the Civil Rights movement, which would have gotten nowhere by "following the rules").

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 04:39:29 pm »
Translation: "How dare the President take a page out of our playbook!"
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

shykid

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 04:43:44 pm »
Exactly.

Or maybe they're jealous that they didn't think of that idea themselves.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 05:25:59 pm »
They really don't like it when things don't go their way huh?

Ironbite-good for Obama.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 06:55:02 pm »
The republicans are crying foul? This from the party who didn't say a word when Bush Jr pulled that shit 171 times?

Hypocrites.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 07:02:04 pm »
The republicans are crying foul? This from the party who didn't say a word when Bush Jr pulled that shit 171 times?

Hypocrites.
Teddy did 193 at once.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 07:04:18 pm »
Fuck Bitches

Recess Appointments
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 08:47:59 pm »
Ahhh, the tears of the criminally stupid. I do love them so. I can't say the GOP didn't have that coming.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 09:34:49 pm »
Guess he figured out calling his base whiners wasn't helping him.

Sorry to be so cynical but would this have happened if it wasn't getting lose to elections?
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 09:55:16 pm »
Sorry to be so cynical but would this have happened if it wasn't getting lose to elections?

Probably not, but hopefully this will set the tone for the next four years if he wins and therefore has nothing to lose.

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 11:25:27 pm »
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:46:36 pm by VirtualStranger »

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 11:39:51 pm »

Probably not, but hopefully this will set the tone for the next four years if he wins and therefore has nothing to lose.

Didnt' we think that 3 years ago?
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 01:10:09 pm »
Don't know about that, but the current term is different because he's up for re-election. If he is elected in '12, it'll be his last term and therefore he has less to lose by standing up to the bullies trying to ruin the country. He won't have to worry as much about public opinion, to the point where he can actually get shit done, that is, not meaning he could do whatever he wants.