Author Topic: Election 2012 Thread  (Read 68987 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
Re: Election 2012 Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2012, 10:14:38 pm »
Filibusters are fucking cheap ass cop-outs and should be outlawed under penalty of strangulation by the reanimated corpse of Thomas Jefferson.

Filibusters have their place, as they allow the minority some (in theory) small level of control. If they worked the way many people think they worked*, they would be great. Sadly, that kind of filibuster went out long ago and will never come back because it takes too much effort

*By that I mean forcing someone to stand there and continue to speak until they either relinquish the floor or a vote is taken to end debate.

I was just going to point that out...Strom Thurmond is rolling over in his racist grave.  Who the fuck changed a filibuster into a simple motion filing anyway?

Offline cheese007

• Bishop
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, 10:38:41 pm »
Why the fuck did I read the comments on that link that Rabbit gave?? Seriously,"Gangbangers" in the whitehouse??
Sadly it's not just there. Nearly every story I read has at least a few Tea Party types spewing nonsense in the comments.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 10:49:46 pm »
Why the fuck did I read the comments on that link that Rabbit gave?? Seriously,"Gangbangers" in the whitehouse??
I guess I'm just becoming desensitized to this type of racist nonsense.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 04:35:08 am »
I'm hoping Obama, but it looks to be very close this time.  I hear a lot of people supporting Romney this time around, which is scary considering they also support things that would turn us into a Theocracy.

I'm just glad it's almost over.  It was hard to enjoy Halloween when all I see are political mudslinging shit all over the place.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 05:04:27 am »
I'm just glad it's almost over.  It was hard to enjoy Halloween when all I see are political mudslinging shit all over the place.

It's happened a lot lately, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's happened in the past with Halloween and Election Day being so close together. I remember in 2008 there was a lady who would ask trick-or-treaters who their parents were voting for, and would refuse to give candy if they said "Obama".
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 06:46:23 am by Random Guy »

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 05:12:27 am »
I don't remember it being this bad 4 years ago.  Sure there was a lot of, "Obama is a Muslim," but that was about it.  Maybe now it's because people can point to some numbers and say, "See, where's your 'Change' now?"

Personally, all I have to do is point to my company's stock and profits and say, "Right there!"
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 05:36:42 am »
Because I wanna be in the company of fellow electionistas, I'm popping my head in for a lil' while (I know, I'm surprised I wasn't eaten by ManBearChupaAngelCabras also). All legitimate polls are pointing to Obama but I'm massively worried about the obscene levels of voter fraud in Ohio (which has gotten so bad I practically feel they should just "give" the state to Obama as a punishment), Pennsylvania and Florida.

Vyper, you're not from California right? It was pretty ugly 4 years ago - not as ugly as it's gotten but it was pretty bad. Though that might be because of the confluence of Prop 8 (gimmie 3 cheers for the Reverse Trojan Horse Proposition) nonsense
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:39:21 am by Itachirumon »
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2012, 08:37:17 am »
I guess I'm just becoming desensitized to this type of racist nonsense.
You do a lot of good work on the mainpage... But everyone needs a rest every now and then.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2012, 09:11:29 am »

It's happened a lot lately, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's happened in the past with Halloween and Election Day being so close together. I remember in 2008 there was a lady who would ask trick-or-treaters who their parents were voting for, and would refuse to give candy if they said "Obama".

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2012, 09:31:40 am »
I think Obama is going to win by the skin of his teeth. GOP keeps the House but still not the Senate, though they might pick up a couple seats.

In preparation for the elections, I bought a bag of good weed and a bottle of decent whiskey. I plan on staying up watching results and making some sort of drinking game for the coverage.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2012, 11:39:42 am »
I think Obama will win the election narrowly, with fewer than 300 electoral votes.  The Republicans will have a net loss of 5-15 seats in the House, which will leave them with firm control of the chamber.  The Democrats will keep the Senate, I predict 51-47-2; and both independents will caucus with the Democrats, effectively giving them 53-47 control.

And I agree with Eric and DiscoBerry.  If the Republicans want to filibuster everything, then let them break out their state capital's phone book for a good, long read.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2012, 11:48:25 am »
I wonder, is it likely for Obama to win the electoral vote but not the popular vote this election?
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2012, 12:09:26 pm »
It's possible, but not particularly likely.  Obama has been showing a small lead in national polls.  Still, fivethirtyeight is putting the likelihood of Romney winning the popular vote but losing the electoral college at 6.9 percent, which is not an insignificant possibility (if their model is accurate).
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2012, 01:44:10 pm »
I wish the government could abolish the Electoral College. Nothing says democracy like a bunch of dudes that could, on a whim, decide to elect whoever the hell they wanted. Goooodddd timessssss.

That said, I'm leaning towards Obama winning. Incumbency non-sense. Also, I see change. I've seen change in the attitude of everyone around me. Economy is looking better, I love obamacare, and foreign policy's been mended. The fact people can't see the changes? Non-sense.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline worlder

• Bishop
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2012, 01:54:30 pm »
Romney

Always have the other scenario in mind.