Author Topic: Catholic Bishops to "Investigate" Girl Scouts  (Read 5718 times)

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
Re: Catholic Bishops to "Investigate" Girl Scouts
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 10:11:54 pm »
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterfliesandwheels/2012/05/bishops-v-girl-scouts/

First, I know there's a rule saying that you're not allowed to quote an entire article, but I'm not sure if there's one about posting just links.  I think you have to at least make some comment about your thoughts on it, but I'm not sure.  Either way, I find topics consisting of only links and no explanations a bit irritating.

From what I gathered about on other articles about this (this article doesn't explicitly say, just that they're worried about "conflicts with church doctrine"), their grievance with the GSUSA is, surprise surprise, their stance on sex education and contraception, though the GSUSA say they have no official stance.

As for the article itself, I still find it amazing that they try enforcing their standards on organizations that they have no say in (unless the Girls Scouts is affiliated/funded by the Catholic Church and I just don't know it), especially when they know that they're under scrutiny of much of the non-Catholic word, and even many fellow Catholics. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 10:23:11 pm by Iosa the Invincible »

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 10:17:56 pm »
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterfliesandwheels/2012/05/bishops-v-girl-scouts/

First, I know there's a rule saying that you're not allowed to quote an entire article, but I'm not sure if there's one about posting just links.  I think you have to at least make some comment about your thoughts on it, but I'm not sure.  Either way, I find topics consisting of only links and no explanations a bit irritating.

As for the article itself, I still find it amazing that they try enforcing their standards on organizations that they have no say in (unless the Girls Scouts is affiliated/funded by the Catholic Church and I just don't know it), especially when they know that they're under scrutiny of much of the non-Catholic word, and even many fellow Catholics. 

Nope. The Girl Scouts are an entirely secular organization. While they do have various partnerships with religious institutions, none have any actual say in how the Girl Scouts operate.

Basically, they're the exact opposite of the Boy Scouts, in more ways than just genitals.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 11:37:55 pm »
If only they put this much effort in condemning corruption and pedophilia.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 12:21:18 am »
Hey Saturn...we don't like it when you just post the link to the article and give us no direction for discussion.  Don't be afraid to lead kid.  It's how we do things round here.

As for this....in what way will this affect the Girl Scouts?  Hmmm?  I mean obviously they'll be found incompatible with Catholic teachings but so what?  Lots of organizations are.  Does this mean anything?  Long run no.  Just a waste of an obsolete organizations time.

Ironbite-which is all it really has.

Saturn500

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 12:46:47 am »
Really, it's the Catholic Church, what comment was I gonna put? I mean, maybe "It's the RCC, 'nuff said"? I dunno.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 01:00:12 am »
If only they put this much effort in condemning corruption and pedophilia.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 01:30:16 am »
These tools, huh? Maybe they should go back to Italy, and stay in their little castle. *Sighs*Nothing would please me more than to troll them with any number of ideal fundie-trolling songs....hmmm...I think I have a post to make elsewhere.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 02:39:12 am »
What they're getting tired of little boys they have to go after the little girls too?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 01:51:19 pm »
Update: the bishops sent to investigate the Girl Scouts have gone missing. In unrelated news, the Girl Scouts have announced a new line of meat-flavored Girl Scout Cookies.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 04:24:23 pm »
Bill Donohue recently slammed The Three Stooges movie. Now the bishops intend to investigate the Girl Scouts.  And the Catholic Church is spiraling into utter silliness.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Danarth

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 01:52:02 am »
And this is why a monolithic, partiarchal, hierachal organisation like the Catholic Church is a bad idea.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 01:55:14 am »
Oh no it was a good idea.  Then it's founder died and his followers fucked it all up.

Ironbite-now look at the mess we've got.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 04:43:39 am »
Oh no it was a good idea.  Then it's founder died and his followers fucked it all up.

If any religion can be considered a "good idea" than so can things like shoving a cactus up one's rectum, calling people niggers in a predominately black neighbourhood and of course kicking grizzly bears in the bollocks.

Besides, I'm not sure what exactly it is that Constantine did right that his followers ballsed up.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:47:55 pm by Art Vandelay »

Offline Danarth

• Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 05:34:15 am »

If any religion can be considered a "good idea" than so can things like shoving a cactus up one's rectum, calling people niggers in a predominately black neighbourhood and of course kicking grizzly bears in the bollocks.

Kicking a grizzly in the bollocks does sound like a very manly sport.