Author Topic: Anti-Abortion ads to air on the Super Bowl  (Read 7537 times)

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
Re: Anti-Abortion ads to air on the Super Bowl
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 12:22:58 pm »
Showing shock images doesn't make a solid argument.  It just takes advantage a humanity's natural aversion to anything bloody and graphic.  If this tactic was actually valid, PETA should have managed to outlaw all animal products by now.
This
also this falacy is why games like Mortal Kombat have to be more then just over the top gore to be good.

And even then, it's different, since it seems people have different reactions to simulated gore and violence, as opposed to real gore and violence.  I think I have an easier time watching a gory video than I do watching a gory live-action movie, and even with the game, sometimes I have to look away.

Offline Aqualung

• Crazy Person Magnet
  • Apprentice
  • I don't know and neither do you!
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 01:33:28 pm »

Well that's a good reason not to watch the super bowl this year. >:|
"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun." --Billy Joel

Offline Smilodon

• Warrior of Perim
  • Bishop
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 01:48:05 pm »
And I think I heard somewhere that most of those images were from late term miscarriages not abortions.

But hey, this guy probably thinks lying is okay as long as it's only people on his side doing it.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 02:05:34 pm »
And people will believe it because they're constantly trying to push the OTHER lie that fetuses become viable much closer to conception.

Why they have to spend an extra 6 months or so incubating is probably just shyness.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 02:43:34 pm »
They will generate more antagonism than enthusiasm for their cause.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 03:28:26 pm »
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/01/10/401848/super-bowl-viewers-will-see-graphic-anti-abortion-ads-with-pictures-of-bloody-fetuses/?mobile=nc

Ladies and gents, Randall Terry, in his infinite lack of wisdom, has decided he wants to air pro-life ads with bloody fetuses on the Super Bowl. Forgive my lack of enthusiasm for this thing's stupidity. To be honest, I'm surprised the FCC isn't yelling "HOLD ON THARRR!" at this crap.

I read that as "Randall Tarly".

I've spent most of the morning on A Song of Ice and Fire-related sites.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline shadowpanther

• Sod it, this'll do.
  • Bishop
  • FOR SCIENCE!
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 04:05:07 pm »
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/01/10/401848/super-bowl-viewers-will-see-graphic-anti-abortion-ads-with-pictures-of-bloody-fetuses/?mobile=nc

Ladies and gents, Randall Terry, in his infinite lack of wisdom, has decided he wants to air pro-life ads with bloody fetuses on the Super Bowl. Forgive my lack of enthusiasm for this thing's stupidity. To be honest, I'm surprised the FCC isn't yelling "HOLD ON THARRR!" at this crap.

I read that as "Randall Tarly".

I've spent most of the morning on A Song of Ice and Fire-related sites.

To be fair, he'd probably do the same thing.
Fight Spam! Click Here!
"Kick logic to the curb and do the impossible!"- Kamina, Gurren Lagann.

"Telling someone they know a lot is like telling a man with a few grains of sand clinging to him that he possess much sand."-Stephen Fry

They say an Englishman's home is his castle; which is handy as my home IS a castle and I LAUGH from the top of the turrets.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 07:40:54 pm »
And I think I heard somewhere that most of those images were from late term miscarriages not abortions.

But hey, this guy probably thinks lying is okay as long as it's only people on his side doing it.

The pictures used are either 1) miscarriages, and therefore not induced abortions, 2) late-term abortions, which are illegal anyway (except to save the mother's life), 3) stillborns, or 4) abso-fucking-lutely fake.

For example, that infamous sign of the top part of a fetus' head clenched in forceps, complete with hair, is obviously a fake. The size of the forceps indicated that the head is too small to be in its third trimester, as the sign claims. Secondly, a fetus would not have nearly as much hair as is on the photo. Lastly, the information on the sign says that it was aborted in Texas in 1987, when third-trimester abortions were completely illegal.

Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 08:13:52 pm »

The pictures used are either 1) miscarriages, and therefore not induced abortions, 2) late-term abortions, which are illegal anyway (except to save the mother's life), 3) stillborns, or 4) abso-fucking-lutely fake.

For example, that infamous sign of the top part of a fetus' head clenched in forceps, complete with hair, is obviously a fake. The size of the forceps indicated that the head is too small to be in its third trimester, as the sign claims. Secondly, a fetus would not have nearly as much hair as is on the photo. Lastly, the information on the sign says that it was aborted in Texas in 1987, when third-trimester abortions were completely illegal.

Not surprised.  These people still show images of saline-abortion results, as if they were still actually going on.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 09:36:51 pm »
Yes, this what America wants to see when they're stuffing nachos and wings in their faces...fake aborted fetuses

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 10:20:55 pm »
Talk about losing your appetite.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 10:26:48 pm »
2) late-term abortions, which are illegal anyway (except to save the mother's life)
I'm actually not sure this is true. It might be true in your state, but not necessarily every state. Wikipedia leads me to believe that what I think is true really is true.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 10:44:22 pm »
Yes, this what America wants to see when they're stuffing nachos and wings in their faces...fake aborted fetuses

Ninja'd