Author Topic: Cannibalism in North Korea?  (Read 4320 times)

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
Re: Cannibalism in North Korea?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 03:41:22 pm »
It still blows my mind that North Korea exists and the amazing amount of brainwashing it takes to stop people from stopping and thinking
'wait, this is bullshit!' or maybe there is some kind of underground movement brewing that we don't know about?

Possibly, but not likely. North Korea's intolerance for dissent of any kind borders on cartoon villainy--even complaining to a neighbour about the lack of supplies in your month's rations can get you sentenced to years of hard labour in a gulag. AND your entire extended family, too. There are government plants and microphones for spying all over the place and people are actively encouraged to narc on friends and loved ones for saying anything bad at all about the government or the Kims or showing any kind of affection for anything that ISN'T North Korean. All of which are punishable by anything from years in a gulag to immediate execution.

It's likely everyone there knows that things in North Korea are TERRIBLE no matter how much brainwashing and propaganda they're force-fed from birth. Even in Pyongyang. Otherwise people would not take the risks they do to escape. About two thousand North Korean refugees arrive in South Korea every year, and countless others are still mired in other countries, especially China, trying to sneak or barter their way to begging asylum from Japanese or South Korean embassies, and others who try to get across the border and never make it. The risk is terrible, but thousands of people make it every year. Those are not the actions of people who aren't aware that their country is a horrible, terrible, awful place.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 05:35:10 pm »
The thing about any kind of "resistance" is that it's extremely difficult to engage in when you're in a country like North Korea. As Cait said, everyone is encouraged to at least fake love for the regime and rat out anyone they can. I'm not sure if people are rewarded for their loyalty, but at the very least they're probably so scared of being randomly punished for any kind of "insubordination" that they'd be willing to get others condemned to try and look loyal. Kind of like they're going "See? I'm loyal! I helped you! Please don't shoot me!" Can't really get a resistance going when the population has been put down so badly that you can't reliably seek out supporters or hide your activities without the risk of anyone snitching.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 12:14:37 am »
The good news the cure for this infection is relatively simple.  Wait for the current idiot to do something retarded and watch China roll in.

Ironbite-then roll out and South Korea unifies the country.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 03:34:13 am »
Really fucking easy to criticise from way over here, huh? I doubt that the average North Korean believes anything individually more obviously bullshit than the lies the average Australian believes. I'm sure that I believe a whole bunch of unexamined lies, too. There have been about a dozen occasions in my life when they were pointed out to me, always a bit uncomfortable. The difference being in the number of obvious lies not being challenged in North Korea to those in Australian liberal arts institutions.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 04:44:13 am »
Really fucking easy to criticise from way over here, huh? I doubt that the average North Korean believes anything individually more obviously bullshit than the lies the average Australian believes. I'm sure that I believe a whole bunch of unexamined lies, too. There have been about a dozen occasions in my life when they were pointed out to me, always a bit uncomfortable. The difference being in the number of obvious lies not being challenged in North Korea to those in Australian liberal arts institutions.

I think you need to go to bed.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 01:29:42 pm »

I think you need to go to bed.

It's Fred. He's like that no matter how well rested he is.