Author Topic: Is the true world enemy the economy?  (Read 8109 times)

Offline Kradorex Xeron

• Technical Consultant
  • Administrator
  • Bishop
  • Digitally Original
    • Personal Site
Is the true world enemy the economy?
« on: June 22, 2013, 03:16:12 am »
All,

I've been thinking..

What happens when there is a force that causes unparalleled human suffering, do countries not send military to attack it?

I feel that ultimately, the economy itself has become a force that exceeds that of anything the Nazis could have ever done during World War II, it has caused billions over hundreds of years to lose their homes, billions over many generations to starve, stifled innovation so badly that nothing can ever move forward anymore. Consider:

Politicians are forced by the economy to cut programmes that benefit the public and are forced to implement policy that only benefits money.
CEOs are forced to lay off thousands of employees and create policy that is often unfair, lest the company doesn't make a profit to make numbers look good.
Investors are forced to think with their wallets lest they lose everything, not spending time seeking ways for innovation to happen.
Boards of Directors are forced to think about what would make money, not what would bring betterment of the organization and in extension, humanity.
Billions of individuals are forced to work jobs for their lives that they cannot enjoy, not working jobs where they can actually grow.
People who are willing to work cannot because employers are forced to set the bar so high on entry because of the false scarcity that the economy makes.
Those with jobs are required to make their company or organization money by any and every means necessary, often disregarding what good could be done.
Those with skills developed through experience cannot use them because there is cost prohibitive certification processes.
Inventions cannot be created lest payment is required for a component of that invention.
Art and music cannot be spread and culture strengthened lest money isn't moving from one point to another.
Cultural ties cannot be strengthened lest there are debts between nations.
Environmental initiatives are often forgone because of expenses.

The list goes on...

This world's true enemy isn't a country, it isn't a religion, it isn't a group, or an army. It's the economy. A system that has intruded and pursued espionage into the depths of every government, every company, every organization, everyone's lives. It is always watching, it's made life so you cannot live without it. If the economy was a person, it should be charged with the most heinous of war crimes. It serves nobody but itself, it has no nation, no creed, no vision of a future nor accountability in itself.

It only serves to re-enforce the animalistic instincts of 'only the strongest survive' and 'you must hoard lest there be a bad time ahead', it creates a scarcity were people are brainwashed by others also brainwashed into believing the economy is a requirement for society, where the acquisition of wealth is believed to be the ultimate goal of life. This brainwashing is of no person's fault but rather an incremental process that has grown almost organically over the past many thousand years ever since pieces of silver and gold were used as payment.

Those people oft targetted as being "bad people", the CEOs, bankers, politicians, so on and so forth are brainwashed as well, brainwashed to the point where they will put themselves through stresses that deforms their bodies, destroys their health and makes them age faster for no benefit of anyone. Stop looking to blame, stop looking for scandal and start thinking in the abstract, beyond the physical and realize that at the end of the day, the economy is just numbers that have been granted gross  and wanton importance world-wide.

Call me crazy, but I feel we shouldn't be taking up arms to have a revolution against any government, but rather a system that has made itself seemingly untouchable by the aforementioned espionage that no person could have in history performed. If any sort of semblence of an economy is to exist, it should be barter alone, no monetary or numeric value whatsoever should be in place and that barter system must have limits placed on the system itself, not necessarily those partaking in it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 03:20:55 am by Kradorex Xeron »
~Krad Xeron

Art Vandelay

Re: Is the true world enemy the economy?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 04:32:41 am »
If I may be completely honest, this is the most utterly retarded thing I've read in a long time. If I didn't know the author, I'd swear it was an Onion or Cracked article. The economy is some sort of artificial restraint on human society, it's simply a means of measuring and quantifying the wealth and abilities of the vast numbers of humans in our society.

Let's start with the simplest point.
Billions of individuals are forced to work jobs for their lives that they cannot enjoy, not working jobs where they can actually grow.
Because certain jobs need to happen, or else very very bad things will happen. For example, it may not be particularly fun to be a garbage man or a janitor, but without them, we'd all be wallowing in our own filth within a week. We can't all be CEOs and artists. Never mind enjoyment or personal growth, we as humans can't survive in such numbers if certain tasks aren't fulfilled. Welcome to reality.
Those with skills developed through experience cannot use them because there is cost prohibitive certification processes.
So, how do you suppose we ensure people are qualified for certain jobs that you really don't want people to fuck up (surgeon, pilot, firefighter, electrician, the list goes on)? Do we just take their word for it? Do you have some amazing system in mind that's both free and reliably ensures people are indeed able to do what they say they're able to do?
Art and music cannot be spread and culture strengthened lest money isn't moving from one point to another.
So... What exactly do you suppose all of these museums and art galleries we have in pretty much every western city come from? How about the regular musicals and plays being shown, the concerts and even lowly street performers. How about the fact that every single kid, in public and private schools are given at least some education on art, literature, history, music and other art/culture related subjects (that is, by an institution whose existence depends on the ever omnimalevolent economy).
Investors are forced to think with their wallets lest they lose everything, not spending time seeking ways for innovation to happen.
Actually, seeking innovation will happen if there's enough competition in any given market. Investors and entrepreneurs, as you said, care most about the bottom line. As such, anything that gives them an edge over their competitors is of immense value to them, and they will indeed take risks to get it. Funnily enough, this is in fact a theory within the field of, wait for it, economics! The very thing which you claim is anti-innovation in all circumstances! It's almost as though you have no idea what you're talking about.

And that's just a few of your talking points torn to shreds. Anyone else want to tackle the rest? I'm feeling a tad lazy right now.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 04:46:12 am »
That's like blaming books for murders. 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Kradorex Xeron

• Technical Consultant
  • Administrator
  • Bishop
  • Digitally Original
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 06:28:48 am »
If I may be completely honest, this is the most utterly retarded thing I've read in a long time. If I didn't know the author, I'd swear it was an Onion or Cracked article. The economy is some sort of artificial restraint on human society, it's simply a means of measuring and quantifying the wealth and abilities of the vast numbers of humans in our society.
The problem is that the economy is no longer what it was originally designed to do. There hasn't been a true world-wide economical revolution in the history of man where the economy was reset. The world has gone through hundreds of governments and the same sort of problems have always persisted and everyone's looking for people to blame, rather than looking for possible systematic problems. I often see things like "Oh, the state of the economy is all $POLITICIAN'S fault" being thrown around and it disgusts me.

Let's start with the simplest point.
Because certain jobs need to happen, or else very very bad things will happen. For example, it may not be particularly fun to be a garbage man or a janitor, but without them, we'd all be wallowing in our own filth within a week. We can't all be CEOs and artists. Never mind enjoyment or personal growth, we as humans can't survive in such numbers if certain tasks aren't fulfilled. Welcome to reality.
"Welcome to reality". This gets used so often that it has lost all meaning. The fact of the matter is the word "reality" is often used as a shield against improving the situation any, but I digress. If humanity was able to progress and wasn't held back by a constant need to make money and have some quantified numbers (numbers don't exist in nature, they're man-made), perhaps those sorts of jobs could be made much easier and in fact cleaner to do so that people wouldn't mind doing them. If you were to be back say, 1000 years doing a manual labour job that in this day and age is completely automated and suggested that such would exist, someone would then say "This is reality, get out of fantasy land. Get back to work".

So, how do you suppose we ensure people are qualified for certain jobs that you really don't want people to fuck up (surgeon, pilot, firefighter, electrician, the list goes on)? Do we just take their word for it? Do you have some amazing system in mind that's both free and reliably ensures people are indeed able to do what they say they're able to do?
I'm not against certification, what I am against however is the artificial inflation (labelled "administrative costs") that has made becoming certified so prohibitively expensive and possibly preventing underprivileged, but brilliant minds from ever shining. "Reliability" is not a cost, it's an effort. Within the Internet itself, there are many many service providers that interconnect with each other on a settlement-free (no money involved) basis in exchange of traffic, often those points have at least a five-nines in reliability. Too, Linux, a freely available operating system is used on the majority of Internet servers because it is in fact reliable. It's just that the past generation has without fault of their own brainwashed the current generation into beliving "if it's without money, it's crap and can't be trusted". Money on its own can't do anything - it has no intrinsic value aside from being pretty, it requires belief to be of any worth.

So... What exactly do you suppose all of these museums and art galleries we have in pretty much every western city come from? How about the regular musicals and plays being shown, the concerts and even lowly street performers. How about the fact that every single kid, in public and private schools are given at least some education on art, literature, history, music and other art/culture related subjects (that is, by an institution whose existence depends on the ever omnimalevolent economy).
If you want an element of culture that has been screwed up by money: Some regions have laws in place that financially punish those who come across archaeological finds while building: If you come across a find that may contain graves, you alone have to pay for calling out an archaeologist. If the economy gave a crap about culture, that'd be paid by tax dollars. Some construction companies to avoid paying for those sorts of things label the finds as "gaps" and fill tombs and historic caves in with concrete as if they were to follow the law, it'd mean they'd be losing money since they have to stop work while the archaeologist comes in.

Many museums and other "cultural" locales are in place for another place for companies to put their banners - "Sponsorship" as it's called. They're increasingly no longer paid for by tax dollars. Notice how economically, among the first things to go are the cultural elements whenever there are cutbacks? As far as education: "Oh, we can't have that field trip because visiting that museum would cost too much to arrange"

And as far as performances, I will simply mention two organizations as a point-in-self as to why money is ruining culture: RIAA, MPAA

Actually, seeking innovation will happen if there's enough competition in any given market. Investors and entrepreneurs, as you said, care most about the bottom line. As such, anything that gives them an edge over their competitors is of immense value to them, and they will indeed take risks to get it. Funnily enough, this is in fact a theory within the field of, wait for it, economics! The very thing which you claim is anti-innovation in all circumstances! It's almost as though you have no idea what you're talking about.
The problem here with that statement is that it fails to take into account the current state of the patent and copyright, collectively "Intellectual Property Rights" (IPR) systems which are so broken at the moment. Scientists and other similar people under the current system cannot themselves come out with inventions, there's always a businessman attached somehow. Often times the real inventors of things get shunned and the CEOs and such that paid for but did nothing to actually make the invention a reality get the credit simply because their name is attached and they paid for that thing.

This doesn't even get started with the currently broken copyright/patent systems where you can so easily step on somebody else's patents/copyrights without being aware and sued for monetary damages instead of the "other party" approaching you and making an alliance to make the invention(s) all that much better.

That's like blaming books for murders.

I wouldn't say so. Books don't force you to read them. The economy is pervasive and encourages greed and cannot be escaped unless you plan to live out in the middle of nowhere and have no contact with anyone else.

My whole point however is that money only has value if humanity gives it value and it has been given far too much without question and has far too much control over people's lives to the point it ruins lives and people don't even bat an eye anymore - "Oh, you lost your home, lost your job that you enjoyed, lost your family because you can't afford to stay together? Tough, that's reality.".
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 06:32:53 am by Kradorex Xeron »
~Krad Xeron

QueenofHearts

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 06:37:45 am »
I think you're confusing a means with an end. The economy is a tool for which people (ideally) benefit. You're confusing it with the end of being the actor and the enemy. I do have a certain Rousseauian (and to an extent Marxist) streak to my philosophy and do believe that government was set up by the powerful to protect their power (at the expense of everyone else). Therefore, it is the wealthy that is the enemy and manipulating the economy to the dangerous ends you speak of. That said, the only benefit I see for me and my beliefs is to play by the system as much I can while doing what I can to not lose my morals (Emile, anyone?). I think this is the idea you're getting at.

I don't feel like going point by point, and if I overlooked something, I'm sorry, it's 6:30 AM, I just worked 7 hours, and I'm fighting to stay awake for a busy day.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 08:11:06 am »
The problem is that the economy is no longer what it was originally designed to do. There hasn't been a true world-wide economical revolution in the history of man where the economy was reset. The world has gone through hundreds of governments and the same sort of problems have always persisted and everyone's looking for people to blame, rather than looking for possible systematic problems. I often see things like "Oh, the state of the economy is all $POLITICIAN'S fault" being thrown around and it disgusts me.
Destroying the entire modern economy and going back to hunter-gatherer or at most primitive agricultural days (yes, that is really the most a barter economy can handle) will not fix those problem. Quite the opposite, in fact, since at most, the world can support around 20 million humans living in such primitive societies. There are currently almost 7 billion people alive today. You see the problem, yes?
"Welcome to reality". This gets used so often that it has lost all meaning. The fact of the matter is the word "reality" is often used as a shield against improving the situation any, but I digress. If humanity was able to progress and wasn't held back by a constant need to make money and have some quantified numbers (numbers don't exist in nature, they're man-made), perhaps those sorts of jobs could be made much easier and in fact cleaner to do so that people wouldn't mind doing them. If you were to be back say, 1000 years doing a manual labour job that in this day and age is completely automated and suggested that such would exist, someone would then say "This is reality, get out of fantasy land. Get back to work".
Well, if you've got the tech somewhere to make any and all menial jobs obsolete, do let me know. Until then, my point still stands. Then again, it could well be argued that removing those jobs may not in fact be the best course of action for the people doing them. After all, just look at what happened to Detroit and a huge chunk of the rest of the US when pretty much all of the factories and their dull, menial and un-artistic jobs up and left. The former workers are now quite a bit worse off than the were when the factories were open, strangely enough. It of course then raises the point, what are they supposed to do for work now? Or if you're indeed implying that they simply be given everything for free, well, I shouldn't need to explain the problem there. Food and housing and the like doesn't just pop up out of nowhere.
I'm not against certification, what I am against however is the artificial inflation (labelled "administrative costs") that has made becoming certified so prohibitively expensive and possibly preventing underprivileged, but brilliant minds from ever shining. "Reliability" is not a cost, it's an effort. Within the Internet itself, there are many many service providers that interconnect with each other on a settlement-free (no money involved) basis in exchange of traffic, often those points have at least a five-nines in reliability. Too, Linux, a freely available operating system is used on the majority of Internet servers because it is in fact reliable. It's just that the past generation has without fault of their own brainwashed the current generation into beliving "if it's without money, it's crap and can't be trusted". Money on its own can't do anything - it has no intrinsic value aside from being pretty, it requires belief to be of any worth.
You didn't answer my question. How do we ensure would be surgeons, or pilots or anyone who'd have a modicum of responsibility is indeed as qualified as they say they are? You did say you're not opposed to certification, just "administrative costs". Well, funnily enough, certification does require administration. You need to develop a standardised means of testing the qualifications in question. You need at least one, if not more, adequately qualified testers to carry out these tests. You more often than not need testing equipment and a facility in which to carry it out. You also need a nice big database of certified individuals that's readily accessible for any would-be employer to check up on it. Naturally, someone has to pay for all this stuff.
If you want an element of culture that has been screwed up by money: Some regions have laws in place that financially punish those who come across archaeological finds while building: If you come across a find that may contain graves, you alone have to pay for calling out an archaeologist. If the economy gave a crap about culture, that'd be paid by tax dollars. Some construction companies to avoid paying for those sorts of things label the finds as "gaps" and fill tombs and historic caves in with concrete as if they were to follow the law, it'd mean they'd be losing money since they have to stop work while the archaeologist comes in.
The problem I see is rather poor enforcement of a very pro-history regulation. Make tax payers pay for that? Fuck off. The construction company are the ones actually building on that land for profit, they're the ones with a responsibility to at least acknowledge any archaeological finds they dig up. What's needed is much stronger enforcement. More frequently audit any big construction job and any funny business is found to be going on, hit them with a fine that'll take years to recover from, if they ever do recover. If it turns out to be more expensive to try and cover up any finds than to simply deal with it in a more legal manner, than companies will do that.
Many museums and other "cultural" locales are in place for another place for companies to put their banners - "Sponsorship" as it's called. They're increasingly no longer paid for by tax dollars. Notice how economically, among the first things to go are the cultural elements whenever there are cutbacks? As far as education: "Oh, we can't have that field trip because visiting that museum would cost too much to arrange"
And how would a more archaic economy change that? When there's a shitty harvest and a long winter, or perhaps a war with a neighbouring tribe, suddenly the guy making cow horn necklaces or ochre dot paintings will find it a lot harder to trade for food.
The problem here with that statement is that it fails to take into account the current state of the patent and copyright, collectively "Intellectual Property Rights" (IPR) systems which are so broken at the moment. Scientists and other similar people under the current system cannot themselves come out with inventions, there's always a businessman attached somehow. Often times the real inventors of things get shunned and the CEOs and such that paid for but did nothing to actually make the invention a reality get the credit simply because their name is attached and they paid for that thing.

This doesn't even get started with the currently broken copyright/patent systems where you can so easily step on somebody else's patents/copyrights without being aware and sued for monetary damages instead of the "other party" approaching you and making an alliance to make the invention(s) all that much better.
I agree that the patent system is a tad broken. However, it'd be a lot wiser to try and fix it instead of demolishing over 2000 years of human progress.

Offline Kradorex Xeron

• Technical Consultant
  • Administrator
  • Bishop
  • Digitally Original
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 10:35:05 am »
I think you're confusing a means with an end. The economy is a tool for which people (ideally) benefit. You're confusing it with the end of being the actor and the enemy. I do have a certain Rousseauian (and to an extent Marxist) streak to my philosophy and do believe that government was set up by the powerful to protect their power (at the expense of everyone else). Therefore, it is the wealthy that is the enemy and manipulating the economy to the dangerous ends you speak of. That said, the only benefit I see for me and my beliefs is to play by the system as much I can while doing what I can to not lose my morals (Emile, anyone?). I think this is the idea you're getting at.

I don't feel like going point by point, and if I overlooked something, I'm sorry, it's 6:30 AM, I just worked 7 hours, and I'm fighting to stay awake for a busy day.
Perhaps I am, however the difficulty is that whenever someone challenges the people responsible for the economy's wanton issues, that it becomes a polarized political debate without solution where everyone sits around complaining about the other side ("The dems are..", "The repubs are...", "$BIG_NAME has failed to.." type things) and not setting forth any solutions. Often times these arguments are made more complicated than they need to be. I am trying to actually target a problematic element of society as a whole, something that affects every aspect of the political spectrum without question.

Destroying the entire modern economy and going back to hunter-gatherer or at most primitive agricultural days (yes, that is really the most a barter economy can handle) will not fix those problem. Quite the opposite, in fact, since at most, the world can support around 20 million humans living in such primitive societies. There are currently almost 7 billion people alive today. You see the problem, yes?
Going off on a tangent, I wager if some greater being were to look over earth, "advanced" civilization as we like to call ourselves would appear to be a bunch of apes on a rock clamoring around pieces of paper with numbers on them, then the one with the most papers somehow having control over the rest of the apes. The difficulty is that economy is the only way humanity knows how to operate and is currently in large incapable of moving past it or even changing it in fear of something new and unknown.

Well, if you've got the tech somewhere to make any and all menial jobs obsolete, do let me know. Until then, my point still stands. Then again, it could well be argued that removing those jobs may not in fact be the best course of action for the people doing them. After all, just look at what happened to Detroit and a huge chunk of the rest of the US when pretty much all of the factories and their dull, menial and un-artistic jobs up and left. The former workers are now quite a bit worse off than the were when the factories were open, strangely enough. It of course then raises the point, what are they supposed to do for work now? Or if you're indeed implying that they simply be given everything for free, well, I shouldn't need to explain the problem there. Food and housing and the like doesn't just pop up out of nowhere.
I am not arguing that work should not be done, however people suited for that sort of work should be the ones who pursue it, people who are say, interested in putting together vehicles and so forth. There are plenty of them out there, employers are just overlooking them. There are still people living who like having simple jobs who like leading a life where they can use their hands and do stuff. I say stop getting hung up on technicalities like ageism, politics, what their resumes look like and other measures of discrimination and let them have the jobs. Company management should stop looking for "What would make the company look good" and start looking at "What would make the company better".

Further, I am not arguing that everyone should pursue artistic jobs, some people, myself included enjoy more technical jobs with a significant degree of hands-on experience.

You didn't answer my question. How do we ensure would be surgeons, or pilots or anyone who'd have a modicum of responsibility is indeed as qualified as they say they are? You did say you're not opposed to certification, just "administrative costs". Well, funnily enough, certification does require administration. You need to develop a standardised means of testing the qualifications in question. You need at least one, if not more, adequately qualified testers to carry out these tests. You more often than not need testing equipment and a facility in which to carry it out. You also need a nice big database of certified individuals that's readily accessible for any would-be employer to check up on it. Naturally, someone has to pay for all this stuff.

Again, this is getting hung up on the whole "Everything has to involve money" measure that is limiting human perception. However including the factor of money, I would argue that every organization and institution that provides certifications, degrees, doctorates, so on and so forth be required to operate as non-profit organizations with a budget enough to pay for employees (with a cap) and organization operations (equipment, facilities, etc, etc).

Currently almost every organization that does provide some form of paper certifying that one can do what they claim they do currently operates for-profit, so something that may cost $1,000-10,000 per person ends up costing $80,000 to 250,000. There's a problem here: profit and that the boards and investors of such organizations are forcing said organizations to make profit, ergo - only the rich can get certified without 20-30 year debts that won't even guarantee them a job.

The problem I see is rather poor enforcement of a very pro-history regulation. Make tax payers pay for that? Fuck off. The construction company are the ones actually building on that land for profit, they're the ones with a responsibility to at least acknowledge any archaeological finds they dig up. What's needed is much stronger enforcement. More frequently audit any big construction job and any funny business is found to be going on, hit them with a fine that'll take years to recover from, if they ever do recover. If it turns out to be more expensive to try and cover up any finds than to simply deal with it in a more legal manner, than companies will do that.
1. These costs are also impacting people who are setting up a shed in their back yards and who were never made aware when they purchased the property that it was on a grave site. It's not only construction companies.
2. Some people may just not care about such finds. While it is a moral responsibility to respect graves and such; legally, why should it be somebody's responsibility to pay to preserve something that the public as a whole should be preserving?

And how would a more archaic economy change that? When there's a shitty harvest and a long winter, or perhaps a war with a neighbouring tribe, suddenly the guy making cow horn necklaces or ochre dot paintings will find it a lot harder to trade for food.
Arguably little worse than arguing over pieces of ground up trees that the next tribe may say "Your wooden parchments are worthless, we want more" (See: inflation and currency devaluation)

I agree that the patent system is a tad broken. However, it'd be a lot wiser to try and fix it instead of demolishing over 2000 years of human progress.
How about seeking a method to ensure we're not grinding to a halt and getting into a circlejerk of our "advances" over the next 2000 years? What I mean by that is that as a society we've slowed down in advances significantly despite many of the advances still being made being quite impressive. Too, look at elements like the oil companies. They buy out and outright strangle innovation for the sake of ensuring that they can keep their financial gravy train going. If you insist on calling that progress, I wager we will have to agree to disagree.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:36:37 am by Kradorex Xeron »
~Krad Xeron

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 11:32:12 am »
Going off on a tangent, I wager if some greater being were to look over earth, "advanced" civilization as we like to call ourselves would appear to be a bunch of apes on a rock clamoring around pieces of paper with numbers on them, then the one with the most papers somehow having control over the rest of the apes. The difficulty is that economy is the only way humanity knows how to operate and is currently in large incapable of moving past it or even changing it in fear of something new and unknown.
Here's the thing. Barter economy works just fine for very small and decentralised groups (maybe a few hundred) of people trading very simple commodities. The fisherman can easily enough find a clothes maker, a hunter and perhaps a potter all of whom are willing to trade for fish, and he get by just fine. Introduce more and more commodities, and it becomes increasingly likely that you won't be able to find someone able to produce what you're after and is willing to trade for what you have. Not to mention, as soon as people start co operating on large projects rather than working independently as individuals, it simply becomes impossible without currency. Let's look at modern society. How do you propose we pay, say, construction workers if not with money? We can't exactly give them part of the building they helped build for them to take away and trade for food, clothing and shelter now can we? What about, say, bus drivers. You want to ride the bus? Well, you'd better have something the bus driver needs that no previous passenger has traded for. Like, maybe you decide to trade a couple of fish for a return trip to work, but as it turns out, some guy who got on before you already did that, and as such you'll only get a spot on the bus if you can come up with some firewood or perhaps a pair of jeans (but only if it's in his size). Or what about services, like electricity, internet or water? How exactly do you pay your bills? You see the problem, I trust.

See, there's a very good reason every human society developed currency as soon as civilisation became a thing (by civilised I mean the older definition of city based). When you have a massive and highly centralised population, currency is a necessity. There's a reason it's universal to pretty much all human society beyond tribal hunter-gatherers. It's not some malevolent conspiracy, just a logistical reality when dealing with large numbers of highly organised humans.
I am not arguing that work should not be done, however people suited for that sort of work should be the ones who pursue it, people who are say, interested in putting together vehicles and so forth. There are plenty of them out there, employers are just overlooking them. There are still people living who like having simple jobs who like leading a life where they can use their hands and do stuff. I say stop getting hung up on technicalities like ageism, politics, what their resumes look like and other measures of discrimination and let them have the jobs. Company management should stop looking for "What would make the company look good" and start looking at "What would make the company better".

Further, I am not arguing that everyone should pursue artistic jobs, some people, myself included enjoy more technical jobs with a significant degree of hands-on experience.
So, you really think the people who actually want to and enjoy being garbage men, street cleaners, factory workers, labourers, construction workers, waiters, fast food workers and the like are actually equals the number of people needed to fill all of those jobs? No, in reality, almost everyone would love to be a CEO or a diplomat or if not something astronomically well paid, perhaps an artist or an actor or musician or something creative. Way way way way WAY more than there are actual positions available or demand for in society. As I said earlier, it sucks that a lot of people can't achieve their dreams, but some things just have to be done. I already mentioned that anything less than the modern economy, much less an ultra-primitve barter system could not even come close to supporting the 7 billion strong global population, so it really is a matter of life and death.
Again, this is getting hung up on the whole "Everything has to involve money" measure that is limiting human perception. However including the factor of money, I would argue that every organization and institution that provides certifications, degrees, doctorates, so on and so forth be required to operate as non-profit organizations with a budget enough to pay for employees (with a cap) and organization operations (equipment, facilities, etc, etc).

Currently almost every organization that does provide some form of paper certifying that one can do what they claim they do currently operates for-profit, so something that may cost $1,000-10,000 per person ends up costing $80,000 to 250,000. There's a problem here: profit and that the boards and investors of such organizations are forcing said organizations to make profit, ergo - only the rich can get certified without 20-30 year debts that won't even guarantee them a job.
I'll agree with that. In some cases the profit motive clashes with what's good for society overall, and education is certainly one of them. It leads to both inflated barriers of entry and diploma mills, both of which are very bad things.

Now I'm just not sure how "make certification organisations non-profit" somehow equates to or even supports "the economy is bad, let's go back to a barter system".
1. These costs are also impacting people who are setting up a shed in their back yards and who were never made aware when they purchased the property that it was on a grave site. It's not only construction companies.
2. Some people may just not care about such finds. While it is a moral responsibility to respect graves and such; legally, why should it be somebody's responsibility to pay to preserve something that the public as a whole should be preserving?
I suppose that's reasonable, at least when it's just some guy digging in his back yard. Though I still think the taxpayers shouldn't have to pay when it's at least a major construction job (I'm talking a skyscraper here). Those companies not only bring in hundreds of millions for each job, but they're also insured for this sort of thing. They can more than afford it.
Arguably little worse than arguing over pieces of ground up trees that the next tribe may say "Your wooden parchments are worthless, we want more" (See: inflation and currency devaluation)
Really? Real chance of starving to death versus people losing their jobs and ending up on welfare? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying losing your job is a trivial thing by any means. However, it's still a more favourable outcome than dying.
How about seeking a method to ensure we're not grinding to a halt and getting into a circlejerk of our "advances" over the next 2000 years? What I mean by that is that as a society we've slowed down in advances significantly despite many of the advances still being made being quite impressive. Too, look at elements like the oil companies. They buy out and outright strangle innovation for the sake of ensuring that they can keep their financial gravy train going. If you insist on calling that progress, I wager we will have to agree to disagree.
Erm, I agreed that the patent system is rather fucked right now. Why would you think it's what I was referring to as "progress"? As I said, I'm all for fixing that particular system and ensuring we can more freely innovate and advance as a society. My whole point is that destroying what was built up over 2000 years and going back to a system that's horribly primitive even by ancient Sumerian standards is not the way to go about it.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 05:48:55 pm »
economy
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Kradorex Xeron

• Technical Consultant
  • Administrator
  • Bishop
  • Digitally Original
    • Personal Site
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 12:22:50 am »
Here's the thing. Barter economy works just fine for very small and decentralised groups (maybe a few hundred) of people trading very simple commodities. The fisherman can easily enough find a clothes maker, a hunter and perhaps a potter all of whom are willing to trade for fish, and he get by just fine. Introduce more and more commodities, and it becomes increasingly likely that you won't be able to find someone able to produce what you're after and is willing to trade for what you have. Not to mention, as soon as people start co operating on large projects rather than working independently as individuals, it simply becomes impossible without currency. Let's look at modern society. How do you propose we pay, say, construction workers if not with money? We can't exactly give them part of the building they helped build for them to take away and trade for food, clothing and shelter now can we? What about, say, bus drivers. You want to ride the bus? Well, you'd better have something the bus driver needs that no previous passenger has traded for. Like, maybe you decide to trade a couple of fish for a return trip to work, but as it turns out, some guy who got on before you already did that, and as such you'll only get a spot on the bus if you can come up with some firewood or perhaps a pair of jeans (but only if it's in his size). Or what about services, like electricity, internet or water? How exactly do you pay your bills? You see the problem, I trust.

This is the problem: Humanity is obsessed with debt and payment. Obsessed with it to the point that progress comes to a halt because entire nations are on the brink of defaulting. I am speaking on the grand scale of things. I consier myself a pragmatist and when one thing fails or is on the constant brink of failure, surely an alternative should be researched. Quality of work has gone out the window for the sake of saving money and ensuring nothing bad happens to the bottom line. I think that the current state of this economy is lacking an element of quality, everyone's looking for a job fast, cheap and good when in fact only two of those elements are possible at any one time and typically "good" gets hung out to dry. The economy doesn't account for quality anymore.

See, there's a very good reason every human society developed currency as soon as civilisation became a thing (by civilised I mean the older definition of city based). When you have a massive and highly centralised population, currency is a necessity. There's a reason it's universal to pretty much all human society beyond tribal hunter-gatherers. It's not some malevolent conspiracy, just a logistical reality when dealing with large numbers of highly organised humans.

The problem there in current times, is that organization is done incorrectly, it is often done with busywork in mind and no interest in development except if it makes money. This often results in organizations that don't really need to develop (e.g. many government agencies) having tonnes of time on their hands to create increasingly complex process to satisfy the economy's requirement that everyone works 8 hours a day. The difficulty is that the economy hasn't really grown to keep up with the number of humans so now there's not enough jobs for everyone and those who do have jobs are under the constant thread of layoffs. Why? Not because the employers want to lay people off, but rather because the economy cannot support the number of people working due to national debts and so forth.

So, you really think the people who actually want to and enjoy being garbage men, street cleaners, factory workers, labourers, construction workers, waiters, fast food workers and the like are actually equals the number of people needed to fill all of those jobs? No, in reality, almost everyone would love to be a CEO or a diplomat or if not something astronomically well paid, perhaps an artist or an actor or musician or something creative. Way way way way WAY more than there are actual positions available or demand for in society. As I said earlier, it sucks that a lot of people can't achieve their dreams, but some things just have to be done. I already mentioned that anything less than the modern economy, much less an ultra-primitve barter system could not even come close to supporting the 7 billion strong global population, so it really is a matter of life and death.

"Well-paid". That's the reason a lot of people are seeking the "glory jobs" because they are well paid. I know many people in well paying jobs that hate them because of the paperwork and convoluted processes involved. I bet there are many CEOs, diplomats, politicians and so forth that show up on TV that at the end of the day, hate their jobs and would like to resign but can't lest their lives get flattened. It's a treadmill - once you're in a well-paying job and have a lifestyle to match it, you can't leave.

As far as actual positions. Job positions are dictated by how the economy is doing, not what employers nessasarily want. An employer's numbers can't look good if they spend the profit on employees thus the company board would come down on the CEO for not meeting the investor's dividends.

I'll agree with that. In some cases the profit motive clashes with what's good for society overall, and education is certainly one of them. It leads to both inflated barriers of entry and diploma mills, both of which are very bad things.

Now I'm just not sure how "make certification organisations non-profit" somehow equates to or even supports "the economy is bad, let's go back to a barter system".

Again, I was outlining that if money had to be involved somehow, for that to be a solution.

I suppose that's reasonable, at least when it's just some guy digging in his back yard. Though I still think the taxpayers shouldn't have to pay when it's at least a major construction job (I'm talking a skyscraper here). Those companies not only bring in hundreds of millions for each job, but they're also insured for this sort of thing. They can more than afford it.

Given the current state of the economy where speed and cheapness are seen as the hallowed elements for all businessmen to follow in their operations, I doubt having them pay will go over well. After all many businesses are set in their ways and will lobby (another element of the economy) to prevent themselves from being audited and guess what? Lobbying is successful because to policymakers it is a profit that can get them a new yacht or whatever. Remove money from that equation and the companies would not be able to lobby without resorting to blackmail and threats.

Really? Real chance of starving to death versus people losing their jobs and ending up on welfare? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying losing your job is a trivial thing by any means. However, it's still a more favourable outcome than dying.
I was speaking on a national scale where the "tribes" in my metaphor are countries and one country is saying to another that their money is worthless and that they want more.

Erm, I agreed that the patent system is rather fucked right now. Why would you think it's what I was referring to as "progress"? As I said, I'm all for fixing that particular system and ensuring we can more freely innovate and advance as a society. My whole point is that destroying what was built up over 2000 years and going back to a system that's horribly primitive even by ancient Sumerian standards is not the way to go about it.
I wouldn't have created this thread if I already had made up my mind, I would have rather just posted up a static article somewhere on why the economy is bad. The problem is however that you're construing me as being hard set in my ways and not open for alternatives to which I do not see the current state of the economy as a valid one (but still open for alternatives). We need change before we cannot change anything anymore because the means to are so buried beneath bureaucracy and tradition. Both bureaucracy and tradition have their places in providing foundation, but when they make up the whole building they're harmful and prevent progress.

economy
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
I don't think anyone truly does. It's so opaque these days even the economists don't know what it is anymore, constantly changing its definition and what it entails. The economy seems to be humanity's greatest achievement as it seems to be the only thing that humanity focuses on anymore. Everything else (technological evolution, health breakthroughs, so forth) are all side effects of the economy.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 12:27:07 am by Kradorex Xeron »
~Krad Xeron

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 01:18:21 am »
This is the problem: Humanity is obsessed with debt and payment. Obsessed with it to the point that progress comes to a halt because entire nations are on the brink of defaulting. I am speaking on the grand scale of things. I consier myself a pragmatist and when one thing fails or is on the constant brink of failure, surely an alternative should be researched. Quality of work has gone out the window for the sake of saving money and ensuring nothing bad happens to the bottom line. I think that the current state of this economy is lacking an element of quality, everyone's looking for a job fast, cheap and good when in fact only two of those elements are possible at any one time and typically "good" gets hung out to dry. The economy doesn't account for quality anymore.
So... You at least see how currency is a fundamental necessity and a barter system wouldn't even come close to being feasible, right?

As for your tangent, yeah. If you lend money to a friend, you kind of want them to pay you back at some point. Naturally, if some bank lends a government a few billion dollars, they're going to want it repaid. I fail to see how that's unreasonable. As for quality, well, that's a rather vague claim to make. With pretty much any good or service, you get something cheap and crappy or you can splash out a bit more for something better. Though I get the feeling you're more talking about the current state of things, where people are more interested in things being cheap. To that I say, we're only just coming out of the worst recession since the great depression. Unemployment is through the roof and for those who are employed, job security is a tad lacking. As such, no one really wants to spend any more than they have to. Give it a few more years and things'll start looking up.
The problem there in current times, is that organization is done incorrectly, it is often done with busywork in mind and no interest in development except if it makes money. This often results in organizations that don't really need to develop (e.g. many government agencies) having tonnes of time on their hands to create increasingly complex process to satisfy the economy's requirement that everyone works 8 hours a day. The difficulty is that the economy hasn't really grown to keep up with the number of humans so now there's not enough jobs for everyone and those who do have jobs are under the constant thread of layoffs. Why? Not because the employers want to lay people off, but rather because the economy cannot support the number of people working due to national debts and so forth.
As I said, recession. That's why unemployment is high. I would certainly agree that the US government did a really shitty job of handling it, but that's a failing of the government, not he economy in general.
"Well-paid". That's the reason a lot of people are seeking the "glory jobs" because they are well paid. I know many people in well paying jobs that hate them because of the paperwork and convoluted processes involved. I bet there are many CEOs, diplomats, politicians and so forth that show up on TV that at the end of the day, hate their jobs and would like to resign but can't lest their lives get flattened. It's a treadmill - once you're in a well-paying job and have a lifestyle to match it, you can't leave.

As far as actual positions. Job positions are dictated by how the economy is doing, not what employers nessasarily want. An employer's numbers can't look good if they spend the profit on employees thus the company board would come down on the CEO for not meeting the investor's dividends.
Businesses exist to provide a good or service, not make the employees happy. Providing the good/service in question to the customers as efficiently as possible trumps whatever personal whims the CEO happens to have. I'm not saying they should mistreat their workers for the sake of profits, that's not just morally bad but also tends to cause political instability. Just that unnecessary costs do translate to a more expensive price for the customer.
Given the current state of the economy where speed and cheapness are seen as the hallowed elements for all businessmen to follow in their operations, I doubt having them pay will go over well. After all many businesses are set in their ways and will lobby (another element of the economy) to prevent themselves from being audited and guess what? Lobbying is successful because to policymakers it is a profit that can get them a new yacht or whatever. Remove money from that equation and the companies would not be able to lobby without resorting to blackmail and threats.
True, lobbying is also a major problem that needs to be rather severely neutered. Ultimately, businesses should answer to the government, not the other way around.
I was speaking on a national scale where the "tribes" in my metaphor are countries and one country is saying to another that their money is worthless and that they want more.
That's not really a thing that can actually happen. No country can just say to another "your currency is worthless, we cant more money". Exchange rates based, like pretty much everything else, on supply and demand, the lion's share of which is relative trade and investments between the two. It's highly decentralised and is not subject to the whims of any individual.
I wouldn't have created this thread if I already had made up my mind, I would have rather just posted up a static article somewhere on why the economy is bad. The problem is however that you're construing me as being hard set in my ways and not open for alternatives to which I do not see the current state of the economy as a valid one (but still open for alternatives). We need change before we cannot change anything anymore because the means to are so buried beneath bureaucracy and tradition. Both bureaucracy and tradition have their places in providing foundation, but when they make up the whole building they're harmful and prevent progress.
You did say in your opening post that you think currency itself is the root cause of these problems and if we went back to a barter economy we'd be free to progress. You made it very clear that you believe it to be the solution, and as such, that's the main point I'm trying to refute here. It's how a discussion works, at least without constantly shifting the goal posts. I'm not saying you're set in your ways or anything. If I honestly thought you were, I'd still be openly mocking you like I kind of was in my first post.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 10:04:13 am »
The problem I see, Krad, is that it sounds like you're anthropomorphizing the economy; giving it a mind and will of its own.  It doesn't have either, the economy, just like condoms, guns, and bookbags, is a tool.  That's what humans do: we make tools to solve our problems.  Don't blame the tool because a few humans are complete, incomprehensible dickheads.  Destroying the modern economy would be cutting off your nose to spite your face; it'd kill billions of people through starvation alone, that's not taking into consideration the likely increase in the rates of disease, decrease in the rates and effectiveness of healthcare, and a slew of other things that would likely force us to dig a mass grave the size of Texas just to handle all the corpses we'll have on our hands.

The Federation was an ideal, a fictional ideal.  It'd be wonderful if we didn't need money, but until someone comes up with a solution that doesn't send us back to the damned Stone Age, its the best we got.

To put it another way: the Pre-Industrial Age wasn't the Garden of Eden, it fucking sucked.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 10:18:57 pm »
Money talks. Shit flows downhill.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Kradorex Xeron

• Technical Consultant
  • Administrator
  • Bishop
  • Digitally Original
    • Personal Site
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 10:55:57 pm »
So... You at least see how currency is a fundamental necessity and a barter system wouldn't even come close to being feasible, right?

As for your tangent, yeah. If you lend money to a friend, you kind of want them to pay you back at some point. Naturally, if some bank lends a government a few billion dollars, they're going to want it repaid. I fail to see how that's unreasonable. As for quality, well, that's a rather vague claim to make. With pretty much any good or service, you get something cheap and crappy or you can splash out a bit more for something better. Though I get the feeling you're more talking about the current state of things, where people are more interested in things being cheap. To that I say, we're only just coming out of the worst recession since the great depression. Unemployment is through the roof and for those who are employed, job security is a tad lacking. As such, no one really wants to spend any more than they have to. Give it a few more years and things'll start looking up.
I am not saying debts should not be repaid, but when a system is created around the idea of debt — "you owe me", that system can quickly become toxic as eventually everyone will be so severe in debt that progress grinds to a halt because everyone's looking for resources to repay debt or cut back to make those repayments.

A system surrounding goods and services being paid on the spot is fine by me, but I think credit and debt have become so much a center of the economy that it is truly toxic. Consider: say you want to purchase a house, and have the money to pay for it in full — the current economy has created an environment where it is now bank's jobs to discourage you from paying in full and rather seek you to get a mortgage with interest.

It is this debt-based society that has modified the economy to where it is now a deformed twisted form of what it used to be. It has made the economy so complex that even analysts are skiddish and stressed out all the time. If the economy was truly as good as it is claimed to be stock markets wouldn't be roller coasters, they would be fairly even and high frequency trading wouldn't be needed because people could have faith in their investments.

As I said, recession. That's why unemployment is high. I would certainly agree that the US government did a really shitty job of handling it, but that's a failing of the government, not he economy in general.

Recession and unemployment are symptoms while the patient is still in critical care, but everyone keeps applying bandages to a wound without bothering to remove the shards because the the patient has become so complex nobody can understand how to remove them.

Businesses exist to provide a good or service, not make the employees happy. Providing the good/service in question to the customers as efficiently as possible trumps whatever personal whims the CEO happens to have. I'm not saying they should mistreat their workers for the sake of profits, that's not just morally bad but also tends to cause political instability. Just that unnecessary costs do translate to a more expensive price for the customer.

The difficulty is that many businesses have even disposed of customer satisfaction in the same like for the sake of the board/investors. This often results in the organization's mission statements getting thrown out the window and trampled upon.

The unfortunate fact is is that the economy has created an environment where the investors are the true customers of a company and that the product purchasers are just walking wallets and that the company's true product is itself. Consider how many companies almost seem like they're operating as sleazy, low-class prostitutes and whore themselves out to any investor with any motive that comes by, even if that motive goes against the company mission (it makes more economical business sense seemingly to scrap a mission statement that's in the way of profit than to miss a potential investor with ill intent).

True, lobbying is also a major problem that needs to be rather severely neutered. Ultimately, businesses should answer to the government, not the other way around.

The difficulty there is that as long as money matters to politicians and agency management and that the social cancer of "you must be rich otherwise you're a failure" exists, it will continue to be an issue.

That's not really a thing that can actually happen. No country can just say to another "your currency is worthless, we cant more money". Exchange rates based, like pretty much everything else, on supply and demand, the lion's share of which is relative trade and investments between the two. It's highly decentralised and is not subject to the whims of any individual.

It's not at the whims of any individual, but there are systematic methods to get another country over a barrel. Consider the Chinese/US relationship: China has the US over a barrel economically and could easily pull the carpet out from under the US and crash the US's markets if the US defaults, so the US ends up "printing money" to pay for its debts which in turn devalues the US's money. There's no check and balance for that.

You did say in your opening post that you think currency itself is the root cause of these problems and if we went back to a barter economy we'd be free to progress. You made it very clear that you believe it to be the solution, and as such, that's the main point I'm trying to refute here. It's how a discussion works, at least without constantly shifting the goal posts. I'm not saying you're set in your ways or anything. If I honestly thought you were, I'd still be openly mocking you like I kind of was in my first post.

"Currency" being the root cause, no. Currency is just a piece of paper or chunk of metal just with social and traditional definition behind it — it has no intrinsic value, just utility value. What I am predominantly saying is that currency opens the economy up for corruption, e.g. debt-based society, profit-driven business (rather than customer relations-driven business) and thus constant instability where everyone has to live every day of their lives fearing that they will be kicked out of their home and job.

The problem I see, Krad, is that it sounds like you're anthropomorphizing the economy; giving it a mind and will of its own.  It doesn't have either, the economy, just like condoms, guns, and bookbags, is a tool.  That's what humans do: we make tools to solve our problems.  Don't blame the tool because a few humans are complete, incomprehensible dickheads.  Destroying the modern economy would be cutting off your nose to spite your face; it'd kill billions of people through starvation alone, that's not taking into consideration the likely increase in the rates of disease, decrease in the rates and effectiveness of healthcare, and a slew of other things that would likely force us to dig a mass grave the size of Texas just to handle all the corpses we'll have on our hands.

The Federation was an ideal, a fictional ideal.  It'd be wonderful if we didn't need money, but until someone comes up with a solution that doesn't send us back to the damned Stone Age, its the best we got.

To put it another way: the Pre-Industrial Age wasn't the Garden of Eden, it fucking sucked.
The economy isn't a single personified body, it doesn't have a will, but it does act quite organic like a cancer or virus.

Just like a virus, the current economy needs hosts to keep it going, it needs cells (people) to replicate and transcend generations but as the viral load upon the body (the world and/or society) escalates the body is damaged more and more.

But too, perhaps it has cancerous properties to it as well, in that it was once a legitimate element of the body, but through overgrowth and damage it became out of control, compromising the body's integrity and infecting whatever it comes in contact with but since it is part of the body there is no way for the body's own immune system to recognize the "bad" to correct it.

You are quite correct in saying that the economy has no consciousness nor any anthropomorphic properties, but in lacking those properties it has no consciousness to be aware if that damage, no ability to in itself say "This isn't right", despite everyone having such implicit unconditional trust in it's ability to "correct itself" then proceed to scurry around like the sky's falling every time it twitches the wrong way.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:00:08 pm by Kradorex Xeron »
~Krad Xeron

Art Vandelay

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 12:05:55 am »
I am not saying debts should not be repaid, but when a system is created around the idea of debt — "you owe me", that system can quickly become toxic as eventually everyone will be so severe in debt that progress grinds to a halt because everyone's looking for resources to repay debt or cut back to make those repayments.
So what would you propose? No minimum repayments and interest on loans? Then why would anyone loan money in the first place?
A system surrounding goods and services being paid on the spot is fine by me, but I think credit and debt have become so much a center of the economy that it is truly toxic. Consider: say you want to purchase a house, and have the money to pay for it in full — the current economy has created an environment where it is now bank's jobs to discourage you from paying in full and rather seek you to get a mortgage with interest.
Of course the bank wants you take out a mortgage. It's how they make money. However, if you're able and willing to pay it in full, I'm not sure how exactly that would effect you in the slightest, since unless you have a massive soft spot for banks or something, there's not a damn thing they can do about it.
It is this debt-based society that has modified the economy to where it is now a deformed twisted form of what it used to be. It has made the economy so complex that even analysts are skiddish and stressed out all the time. If the economy was truly as good as it is claimed to be stock markets wouldn't be roller coasters, they would be fairly even and high frequency trading wouldn't be needed because people could have faith in their investments.
Stock markets are largely controlled by short term traders rather than long term investors, so the ups and downs there are largely meaningless. Both in that they don't reflect the strength of the economy overall and that short term fluctuations don't matter to long term investors. As for analysts, well, their job is essentially to predict the future. That's never guaranteed thing by any means, no matter the field. Weatherman are often wrong in their forecasts, but that doesn't mean meteorology is a worthless field, or that we should do away with the weather entirely (assuming that was a possibility).
Recession and unemployment are symptoms while the patient is still in critical care, but everyone keeps applying bandages to a wound without bothering to remove the shards because the the patient has become so complex nobody can understand how to remove them.
No, booms and recessions are actually quite normal, and has been the case since humans first decided that trade could be a thing. It's called the business cycle, and one of the government's most important jobs is to smooth it out as much as possible. The way they're supposed to do it is by taxing as much as they can, spending as little as they can get away with and keeping the cash right high during the boom phase to keep growth more reasonable, then during the recession, they lower the cash rate and the treasury should be nice and full and ready to spend on boosting the economy, preferably through building a huge amount of infrastructure. Something like upgrading the interstate system, the energy grid, a national high speed rail network or something of that scale would be perfect. It soaks up a lot of unemployment, particularly in the lower classes, ensures people still have money to spend and lower interest rates helps make potential investors a little more willing to invest.

The problem with this particular recession is that the government did a piss poor job of handling it. Both Bush's administration for racking up stupid amounts of debt during a boom of all things and Obama's for not having the stones to spend big on massive public works.
The difficulty is that many businesses have even disposed of customer satisfaction in the same like for the sake of the board/investors. This often results in the organization's mission statements getting thrown out the window and trampled upon.
True enough. Though for what it's worth, as long as there's enough competition, the end product/service tends to be reasonable enough quality and price.
The difficulty there is that as long as money matters to politicians and agency management and that the social cancer of "you must be rich otherwise you're a failure" exists, it will continue to be an issue.
I for one would be in favour of entirely publicly funded political parties and election campaigns (with adequate oversight), but that's just me. It'd be expensive to the taxpayer, but you know what they say, you get what you pay for.
It's not at the whims of any individual, but there are systematic methods to get another country over a barrel. Consider the Chinese/US relationship: China has the US over a barrel economically and could easily pull the carpet out from under the US and crash the US's markets if the US defaults, so the US ends up "printing money" to pay for its debts which in turn devalues the US's money. There's no check and balance for that.
No, China does not have the US over a barrel. China's economy is pretty much entirely fueled by exports, particularly to the US. The US crashes, as in properly crashes, China is going to have a very bad time. Without both markets in the US for their goods and manufacturing contracts from US companies, we'd see quite a few Chinese cities going the way of Detroit. That's not even considering what a US crash would do to, say, Europe and Japan, a couple of other rather vital markets for China.

As for "pulling out the carpet", how would they do that? I guess they could stop printing money themselves and selling it for foreign currency (it's how they keep the Yuan's exchange rates so low), but that'd ultimately hurt them a hell of a lot more than it'd hurt the US.
"Currency" being the root cause, no. Currency is just a piece of paper or chunk of metal just with social and traditional definition behind it — it has no intrinsic value, just utility value. What I am predominantly saying is that currency opens the economy up for corruption, e.g. debt-based society, profit-driven business (rather than customer relations-driven business) and thus constant instability where everyone has to live every day of their lives fearing that they will be kicked out of their home and job.
Alright, fine. So far, all you've given me is reasons why you think the modern economy is bad, and yet no evidence whatsoever that your alternative of going back to the stone age would actually be better. Do tell me how it would improve job security (or how the vast majority of jobs would even be possible), lower corruption and generally increase happiness and quality of life for all (not to mention how exactly we could go back to it without starving 99.6% of the global population).