Author Topic: Kentucky prefers Noah's Ark theme park over education  (Read 19832 times)

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
Re: Kentucky prefers Noah's Ark theme park over education
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 05:00:21 pm »
I'm still trying to figure out why anyone thought that a full-scale model of the Ark as described in Genesis would convince anyone of the veracity thereof.  Given time, money, and a reason to give a damn, I could build a perfect full-scale model of Aslan's How, but that doesn't make Narnia real.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 05:21:06 pm »
Does this mean the FSTDT Moonbase isn't an option anymore?
Given Newt's plan for a moon colony ...

Pfft, his moon colony would fail almost immediately.  We can just keep 'im in a cage to poke with sticks and laugh at.  I mean, Moon Base will be chock full of awesome people, we'd need a village idiot to round things out...
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 05:40:35 pm »
Does this mean the FSTDT Moonbase isn't an option anymore?
Given Newt's plan for a moon colony ...
Just means we gotta beat him to it.
-A Pen Name

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 05:57:45 pm »
I'm still trying to figure out why anyone thought that a full-scale model of the Ark as described in Genesis would convince anyone of the veracity thereof.  Given time, money, and a reason to give a damn, I could build a perfect full-scale model of Aslan's How, but that doesn't make Narnia real.

Building it isn't the real issue, as far as I'm concerned.  Like you say, we can build shit.

What I want them to do once they do have it built is start filling it up with real animals like Noah supposedly did.  And that would be 2 of every animal and 7 of "clean" animals.  And I'll be willing to wager they'd not have to go too far out from Kentucky before they'd have the damn thing so full they would be unable to move inside it.  Then I want them to explain why all the different species of animals on earth can't possibly fit in it. 

And I'd also be willing to bet that although they see it can't happen, they'll insist it did because, by god, the Babble says it did, so it has to be true.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2012, 07:21:24 pm »
I think a Biblical theme park sounds awesome. The problem is, it isn't meant to be entertaining, but educational. *shudder*

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2012, 07:27:22 pm »
Yes. Fill it up with animals and float it on the ocean for forty days and nights; THEN I'll be impressed.

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2012, 04:37:38 am »
Because it's a "museum" and therefore educational and deserving of public funds.

That would be perfect for the fundie word redefinition project if it was to ever happen...

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2012, 10:25:48 am »
Yes. Fill it up with animals and float it on the ocean for forty days and nights; THEN I'll be impressed.

But why would you try to float Aslan's How?
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2012, 04:01:05 pm »
All the DNA coding from all the species on the planet could fit into an Ark that size...  Hmmmmm Aliens...?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2012, 05:08:32 pm »

Ironbite-Obligatory.

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2012, 10:20:41 pm »
^ I still can’t get over the fact that that guy actually let himself be filmed with that hair!

You know, when I first saw the thread title, for a moment I thought this had something to do with Noah’s Ark waterpark in Wisconsin Dells. (Yeah, even though it said Kentucky.)
-A Pen Name

Offline SkyTrekTower

• Bishop
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2012, 11:33:06 pm »
It is horrible that education is being cut while this park gets to keep its tax breaks.  I understand houses of worship not having taxes, but a tourist attraction should pay them.

Slightly off topic, but points out why it's stupid for the park to be tax exempt.

What also makes me mad is that the economic argument doesn't work when you consider what the state has done when it comes to reopening the old Kentucky Kingdom.  There, the parks original owner is asking for $30million(I believe) in bonds to help reopen the park.  This is a one time thing, and the guy is contributing millions of his own dollars to reopen the park.  Yet the government refused due to it being unnecessary spending.  Now, a park in the middle of Louisville that will be paying taxes and supporting area businesses seems like a good thing to spend money on, especially when it will cost less than giving this park yearly tax breaks larger than the amount the Louisville park is asking for once.

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2012, 08:37:15 am »
What also makes me mad is that the economic argument doesn't work when you consider what the state has done when it comes to reopening the old Kentucky Kingdom.  There, the parks original owner is asking for $30million(I believe) in bonds to help reopen the park.  This is a one time thing, and the guy is contributing millions of his own dollars to reopen the park.  Yet the government refused due to it being unnecessary spending.  Now, a park in the middle of Louisville that will be paying taxes and supporting area businesses seems like a good thing to spend money on, especially when it will cost less than giving this park yearly tax breaks larger than the amount the Louisville park is asking for once.
Who needs to make sense when you have ideology, right?
-A Pen Name

Offline Oriet

• Homo sapiens scientia
  • Bishop
  • Disabled Vet MtF Polyamorous Atheist Auspie
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2012, 12:06:57 pm »
I understand houses of worship not having taxes...
I don't.
The Rules, get to know them.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2012, 01:58:32 pm »
I understand houses of worship not having taxes...
I don't.

Neither do I. I do understand that some people think religion is necessary to be a good person and a good citizen, therefore religious establishments are a public good and shouldn't pay taxes. But this is so self-evidently not the case that it's like giving tax breaks to research of female hysteria.

Then I want them to explain why all the different species of animals on earth can't possibly fit in it.

That's silly. Of course they don't need your "scientist" LIEBERAL atheist humanist pagan communist "species". They just need to have two of each KIND, a term that is rigorously defined, and supported by considerable Biblical reference, as "whatever bullshit we want or need it to be".
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought