Author Topic: Sylvia Browne Dead at 77  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
Sylvia Browne Dead at 77
« on: November 21, 2013, 04:30:24 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/20/showbiz/sylvia-browne-dies/

A last hurrah with a wrong prediction on when she would die.  I feel sorry for her family, except for Chris Dufrense. I wish he would stop the shenanigans.

Hopefully with her death, her most ardent believers can begin to look with 20/20 hindsight and see her as the fraud she was.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 05:04:22 pm by Kat S. »

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Sylvia Browne Dead at 77
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 04:52:35 pm »
She never saw it coming.

I read one of her books back before I fully made the transition from atheist+woo to anti-theist. The most annoying aspect of her writing style was that she would start explaining something, and then say, "I will not repeat myself here, so get [another one of my books] to get the full story." She was in it for the money.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 05:36:46 pm »
She was in it for the money.

They all are, brother.  They all are.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 06:00:56 pm »
On Larry King Live in 2003, Browne predicted she would die at age 88. She died in 2013, aged 77

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 10:39:27 pm »
I predicted this a year ago.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 12:54:07 am »
Yeah, adding on to the replies so far, my tracking of Sylvia Browne started when I was a kid.  When I was a kid watching daytime TV because of no school, I would sometimes watch the Montel Williams show. Inevitably, I ended up watching an episode featuring Sylvia Browne.

At first, I was very open-minded and fascinated by Sylvia Browne and the predictions she made.  However, I also paid attention to most of the predictions she would make on the show to include the wrong ones.  What really got me to become skeptical of her abilities was how in one episode she would make wrong predictions, but in the subsequent episodes on Montel she and Montel would keep going pretending as though she never made a wrong prediction.  Also, when "helping" missing person's cases, Sylvia would give information to the friends and family of the missing, but no follow up information was given on how Sylvia's clues exactly helped them find their missing loved one.  That got me questioning how many predictions/clues she ever got right versus the wrong.

I joined the Army right out of high school, so I never got around to watching a lot of TV when on active duty.  In 2007, Shawn Hornbeck was found alive, and CNN did an investigative report on Sylvia Browne.  Naturally, that re-sparked by interest in learning about how Sylvia Browne have been inaccurate if not outright wrong on many predictions, and I began surfing the internet on my spare time.  While internet surfing, I found and fell in love with a lovely site known now as StopSylvia.com. The site help me catch up on events such as how Sylvia Browne earned the dubious distinction of getting banned from Coast to Coast AM, a late night/early morning radio show known to let people with alternative beliefs share such beliefs unchallenged.  Mr. Lancaster also keeps records of Sylvia's predictions and missing person clues, and gives a great point by point analysis on how inaccurate Sylvia Browne was on them.

All in all, with accordance to my beliefs about the afterlife, I believe Sylvia Browne has some serious explaining to do when she meets God.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 01:21:58 am »
Sylvia Browne gives scammers a bad name.

I'm not feeling even slightly sad for her.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 01:30:02 am »
It's fitting to adapt what Stallman said about Steve Jobs.

I am not glad she's dead, but I am glad she's gone.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 09:47:36 am »
Sylvia Browne gives scammers a bad name.

I'm not feeling even slightly sad for her.
Not after the prediction about Ariel Castro's victims. Fuck her.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 02:15:49 pm »
All in all, with accordance to my beliefs about the afterlife, I believe Sylvia Browne has some serious explaining to do when she meets God.

Indeed.  It's not, nor has it ever been seriously in my mind to assume anyone to any sort of hell (Well... unless they were downright unrepentant, remorseless, evil people that died with unrepentance and no remorse in their souls at all.)  I believe a person can have a change of heart right before death that saves them from however long their punishment will be, because I believe God, whatever it is, IS forgiving.   BUT... I have a feeling she's going to have some 'splainin' to do regardless.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 02:49:06 pm »
Another crafty doofus capitalizing on the utter credulity of the American public.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 02:52:38 pm »

Indeed.  It's not, nor has it ever been seriously in my mind to assume anyone to any sort of hell (Well... unless they were downright unrepentant, remorseless, evil people that died with unrepentance and no remorse in their souls at all.)  I believe a person can have a change of heart right before death that saves them from however long their punishment will be, because I believe God, whatever it is, IS forgiving.   BUT... I have a feeling she's going to have some 'splainin' to do regardless.

Eh, I don't put much stock in the idea of divine judgment (or any supernatural afterlife for that matter). It has just as much evidence as the psychics do when they claim they can talk to dead people -- nil.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 03:51:28 pm »
Let's just say I believe there's more to life than just... *This*.   That's as far as I'm going though as I dinna want to derail yon thread.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 04:50:17 pm »
Let's just say I believe there's more to life than just... *This*.   That's as far as I'm going though as I dinna want to derail yon thread.

Same here.  I'm not trying to derail my own thread either. I was simply giving my opinion.  Like I said before, I hope with time her most ardent believers see the horribly innacurate and outright wrong predictions and clues she made, and will adopt a more skeptical attitude towards "psychics" in general.

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 05:04:21 pm »
must not sing "ding dong the bitch is dead"....