Author Topic: Man sent to jail for armed robbery...  (Read 2880 times)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
Man sent to jail for armed robbery...
« on: April 18, 2014, 10:18:31 pm »
13 years after the fact.

The state screwed up someone and he was never in jail when he was supposed to be.  During that time, he was a model citizen and now they want to put him back in jail because of their screw up. 

The consensus in the comments seems to be that he should have community service, but not go back to jail as it would be counter productive.  I agree.  You'd have to follow some extreme black and white reasoning to justify sending him back to jail.  Though at least one commentor doesn't see it that way.

He commited a crime and didn't serve the penalty. He could have found a cure for cancer, ended world hunger, won The Nobel Peace Prize and have been sainted by the pope but he still owes 13 years in prison.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.   ::)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Man sent to jail for armed robbery...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 10:23:47 pm »
I agree, community service would be much better.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 08:46:03 am »
Corrected himself without a correctional facility?  I'm sure that'll make some people's heads explode violently.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 12:04:30 pm »
Yeah, I'd say if he was a model citizen afterwards, then it's proof that he's become a better person.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 12:13:42 pm »
Yeah, I'd say if he was a model citizen afterwards, then it's proof that he's become a better person.

DON'T MATTER! HE DONE THE CRIME, HE MUST DO THE TIME! WHARGARRBL!

<sanity>

Yeah, incarcerating this guy is stupid. Hopefully a judge will look at this case and commute the sentence.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:15:17 pm by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 12:50:56 pm »
Don't worry guys, it's not as if prisons has a reputation for screwing people up, releasing people that are MORE likely to commit more crimes than when they went in...right, guys?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 02:07:02 pm »
Don't worry guys, it's not as if prisons has a reputation for screwing people up, releasing people that are MORE likely to commit more crimes than when they went in...right, guys?

I remember reading a cracked article written by a supposed former security guard that explained how a kid who was put in there for stealing his parents' car, even though the parents just wanted him to be held overnight to scare him, was charged with Grand Theft Auto (or something like that).  He ended up learning how to REALLY steal cars from the other inmates.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 02:38:02 pm »

DON'T MATTER! HE DONE THE CRIME, HE MUST DO THE TIME! WHARGARRBL!

<sanity>

Yeah, incarcerating this guy is stupid. Hopefully a judge will look at this case and commute the sentence.

Unfortunately, there are those who actually think like that.  Black and white thinking at it's worst. 

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 03:18:30 pm »
Basically, they feel like people "owe a debt to society" if they commit a crime. It's about punishment, rather than rehabilitation. It's a sort of Pavlovian thinking, that you metaphorically give electric shocks to the guy when he does something bad and it scares him away from doing it again. When it's pointed out that our prisoners tend to be traumatized by their experiences (if they don't die or get murdered in there) and are promptly thrust back into the world with fewer rights and a tainted reputation that makes it even harder for them to live an honest life, the usual response is....nothing. They really don't have a good argument that doesn't start with "in my opinion."
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 04:13:15 pm »
^

Yeah, that's the argument I hear.  They compare it to making a car payment, but conveiniently ignore the fact that with car payments, one party pays, and the other receives.  By putting this man back in prison, someone is paying, but no one is recieving anything (not counting the prisons).  Yet another stupid analogy.

The idiot I quoted in the comments is especially infuriating because he fails to understand this concept, instead thinking within a small reward/punishment box.  No matter how wise and theoretical he tries to sound, he's still an idiot.  (reminds me of a Christian apologist).  And speaking of fundies...

When he was baptized the water only washed
the dirt of his skin... He did not get the
baptism of the Holy Spirit... Had he received it
without blaspheming it, he would ( Mt 22:20-21 /
Psa 11:5, 7:9 ) have already turned himself in...
What this church goer hasn't realized is that Jesus
is the most humorous person that ever lived -
Paul Mooney, Red Foxx, Eddie Murphy or Robin Williams...

Jesus was laughing with the angels so hard when
the swat team dragged him off that the angels were
concerned that Jesus was going to make the
Yellowstone super volcano erupt.

= Isaiah 66:4 + Pro 1:26 + Psa 59:8 /
Pro 28:13 + James 5:16 ..

How do I even respond to such nuttery? 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:15:21 pm by rageaholic »

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 04:52:17 pm »
With a tranquilizer and a coat with extra-long sleeves.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 08:32:19 pm »
Young turks did a video on this.  I actually think Cenk made a stupid argument by comparing it to rape.  It wasn't.  More stupid comments.

Ya go ahead support the armed robber, dumbass. In my world, two shots to the back of his head. end of story. 

Fines and community outreach is not a good example to set for criminals. He robbed someone with a GUN, BB or not the victim thought it was a gun which is enough for me.

He needs jail time, he's committed a crime everyday of his 13 year spree, evading the police. Good thing is most people are smart individuals and know that you cannot just hide from your consequences. He was convicted to 13 years in prison and it's about time he started doing TIME.

What part of "THE FUCKING SYSTEM SCREWED UP" don't these idiots understand?  I'm so sick of people making excuses for the penal system when they so obviously fuck up.

I got to stop reading comments on this because it's making me crazy.  I don't know how any intelligent person can think this guy needs to go back to jail. 

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 09:58:58 pm »
How obvious is it that the same commenters would be supporting the guy if he wasn't black?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 10:55:35 pm »
On a scale of 1-10? 24.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 10:59:11 pm »
But surely, if we don't send him to prison, then we're telling criminals that all they have to do to avoid jail is to stop committing crimes and become productive members of society!

Wait...

(Also: if this wasn't an actual case, I would have thought it was a thought experiment a philosopher came up with to illustrate the difference between deontological and consequentialist ethics)
Σא