Author Topic: A Million Pound Atheist "Temple"  (Read 18493 times)

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
A Million Pound Atheist "Temple"
« on: January 28, 2012, 12:38:34 pm »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jan/26/alain-de-botton-temple-atheism

Here's an idea. To combat what Alain de Botton calls Richard Dawkins' "destructive" form of atheism, he plans to build a temple, as a testament to... what exactly?
The philosopher and writer Alain de Botton is proposing to build a 46-metre (151ft) tower to celebrate a "new atheism" as an antidote to what he describes as Professor Richard Dawkins's "aggressive" and "destructive" approach to non-belief.

Rather than attack religion, De Botton said he wants to borrow the idea of awe-inspiring buildings that give people a better sense of perspective on life.

"Normally a temple is to Jesus, Mary or Buddha, but you can build a temple to anything that's positive and good," he said. "That could mean a temple to love, friendship, calm or perspective. Because of Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens atheism has become known as a destructive force. But there are lots of people who don't believe but aren't aggressive towards religions."

I serious doubt that aping the tactics of the other side is a good way to promote atheism. If any, building a visible, hard-to-miss structure probably reinforces the idea about some religious people that atheism is simply another religion based on science. And also, how is Dawkins' style of atheism any more destructive or confrontational than this sort of grandiose gesture?

QueenofHearts

Re: A Million Pound Atheist "Temple"
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 12:46:48 pm »
No, No, NO!!! The intelligent sea otters say the Allied Atheist Allegiance is correct and will smash your skulls like a clam on their tummy if you disagree.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 12:58:20 pm »
That could mean a temple to love, friendship, calm or perspective.

Am I the only one who thought "pony temple" when I read this?
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline rosenewock21

• The Snuffleupagus of the Satanic Sesame Street
  • God
  • Holder of the sleepy time rag
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 01:27:14 pm »
That could mean a temple to love, friendship, calm or perspective.

Am I the only one who thought "pony temple" when I read this?

I wasn't thinking it before but I am now.

Edit for grammar.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 02:35:00 pm by rosenewock21 »
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 01:59:24 pm »
Silly me, I thought one of the common criticisms of religion was that it spends so much money on big fancy churches, money that could be used to actually improve people's lives.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 02:02:04 pm »
Let's show atheism is good by doing what religious people do? At least Richard Dawkins set up an atheist charity. A million pounds for some eyesore temple that will confirm the idea that atheism is "just another religion"? Thanks, thanks a bunch...

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 02:50:18 pm »
I once built a temple to drunkenness and debauchery.  It was a makeshift affair, really, mostly scrap plywood and duct tape.   People said it did little to support my cause.  And the zoning board was truly pissed.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 03:27:30 pm »
An atheist temple? Build a science museum instead...

Sure, why not?  Fundies  would still call it a temple and still insist we worship at the altar of science/evolution/Darwin/Satan.  The only major difference is that a museum would be USEFUL.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 03:27:40 pm »
I may intensely dislike Dawkins, but for right now, this guy has earned my ire :|

Why would you even think this is a good idea!?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 03:44:28 pm »
I may intensely dislike Dawkins, but for right now, this guy has earned my ire :|

Why would you even think this is a good idea!?

Agreed. I don't like how he's completely polarized the creation-evolution debate by drawing a dichotomy between "religious illiterates" and "atheistic intellectuals." Neil Tyson called him out on being kind of a dick once.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 04:00:52 pm »
I've known Dawkins was a dick forever. It sealed it with the skepchick thing and the sneering lines in his book The Ancestor's Tale. I really don't think this will help anything.

@B-man: indeed. We could use more museums.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 04:06:29 pm »
Wouldn't it be better to take that million pounds and distribute it to the 100 poorest families in England? Have it being used for education, securing a place to live, and a wardrobe? (Serious about that last part. It's easier to get a job if you're dressed well.) And then let the people you give the money to know that you don't want them going to any church they don't already go to and they don't have to even nominally say they give their lives to any invisible higher being?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 04:40:41 pm »
Points I agree with him on:

1) Atheism needs a better spokesman, though of course any spokesman is unofficial, than Dr. Richard Dawkins. He's a smart man, a fine scientists (so far as I know)...but he seems to outright try to offend any and all religious people. While offending the conservative religious loonies (regardless of persuasion) is a worthy pass time, there are legitimately liberal religious folks who have a "live and let live" attitude. Attacking them and their beliefs doesn't really make you much better (in my book) than a evangelical whacko preaching to the unwilling.

2) If there were a kind of a publicly visible "atheist center", atheists might have a higher q rating with the general populace. Since it isn't a religion and isn't organized, there's an element of...mystery, I guess, to religious people. Imagine if some kind of Christian version of Richard Dawkins was the only or primary exposure you had to Christians...I'd be bit less than anxious to meet folks like him in my day to day.

Where he goes wrong:

1) It only bolsters the case for atheism being some kind of counter religion to Christianity.

2) No one will use it.

We also shouldn't be associating science with atheism too strongly.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline Whore of Spamylon

• Bishop
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 04:49:57 pm »
No, No, NO!!! The intelligent sea otters say the Allied Atheist Allegiance is correct and will smash your skulls like a clam on their tummy if you disagree.

So...it begins.

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson