Author Topic: Attack the Imperium!  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
Attack the Imperium!
« on: February 06, 2013, 06:12:02 pm »
http://thefrontlinegamer.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/is-imperium-metaphor-for-games-workshop.html

Interesting piece this - I agree a lot with what's being said, GW is horribly out of date and a lot of its ideas (like having people who are universally loathed like Matt Ward) write codexes show to me that they really are out of touch with reality.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
Re: Attack the Imperium!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 04:07:06 pm »
That's a pretty insightful analysis.  GW really has shot itself in the foot by ignoring the competition it's received in recent years.  Its insistence on treating the internet like an enemy instead of a tool has hamstrung it pretty badly.

I don't think the situation is irreversible, mind.  They've still got a huge market share and player base.  But if they don't start trying to turn things around soon, they're going to wither on the vine.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Scotsgit

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 04:38:53 pm »
He hit the nail on the head a few times, but one of the things that he got absolutely right is how embarrassingly bad the mail order system - 24 years ago, I ordered up 20 figures for Dark Future (a sadly discontinued game).  Now, at that point there were no GW shops in Scotland, so the best I could hope for was mail order.  They took six weeks to arrive.  A couple of years ago I ordered figures up again.  This time it took two weeks to arrive.  I don't live in some remote part of the country or some distant isle.  If I ordered figures from Australia or the USA, I would expect them to take two weeks at the most.  Nottingham is (just) less than 300 miles away.  Yet, if you try to speak to them about the problem, GW look bemused because they honestly believe that they have the greatest mail order system in the world.  Despite all evidence to the contrary, they cannot (or perhaps will not) see that there's a problem.

White Dwarf?  I don't even recognise it anymore.  Back in the day, this was actually quite a good magazine - good articles, great humour and oddly enough, honest appraisals.  There was even Critical Mass which reviewed the best of the latest sci-fi/fantasy literature.  Now?  It reminds me of the glossy brochures you get when you go to view a house:  All about how wonderful everything is.  new army being released?  Why here's a Battle Report about how wonderful it is!  And here's another article about how to paint them!  And another one a figure and how wonderful it is.  If they really want that magazine to survive, they need to change to the way that Dragon was in its day, not just a fanzine that gushes about how wonderful everything is.

But the nail that was hit the hardest in the article was the problem with the staff.  A lot of the original staff have gone, including the uber-talented Rick Priestley.  The man who gave them their two best sellers now works for Warlord Games.  Only Jervis Johnson is left of the originals.  There are one or two really talented ones like Dave Andrews and Jeremy Vetock, but that leaves that utter waste of oxygen, the one we have all come to loathe with a passion, the one man destroyer of both codexes and fluff, Matt Ward.  They guy has annoyed the fans to the point that many have left, he comes out with the codex that tells everyone they have to buy Ultramarines.  And should you meet him, what you get from his is the most ubelievably smug attitude.  And he will continue being smug because he believes that he writes the best books for GW, he lives in the same bubble at GW where they honestly believe that they are right because the product still sells.

In short, they need to change before they become a long drawn-out suicide note in the Gaming industry.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 03:02:11 am »
Matt Ward needs to be banned from the hobby. He needs to be fired, banned from so much as entering a Games Workshop store or buying their products, and just to be sure, they should send someone to his house to grab all of his minis.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 03:34:27 am »
I... don't understand anything about anything here :(
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Scotsgit

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 05:51:44 am »
Matt Ward needs to be banned from the hobby. He needs to be fired, banned from so much as entering a Games Workshop store or buying their products, and just to be sure, they should send someone to his house to grab all of his minis.

He's one of those people that at first you can't understand how he got the job in the first place - he has no discernible talent, he has a deep loathing for what anyone else wants and their opinions and he has no respect for the canon.  It's only when you learn that his wife (who is apparently a really nice person) is quite highly placed at Black Library, do you begin to see how he got employed by GW in the first place.

Offline Scotsgit

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 08:29:50 am »
And now we get this:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21380003

Now they're just being stupid.

Distind

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 09:14:51 am »
Imagine that Apple was a gaming company. That should cover a lot of it.

I just wish they'd keep some of the older shit in print. Haven't cared about the big games in years but I'd love to manage to snag a copy of space hulk.

Saturn500

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 06:41:16 pm »

Including the customer going "well, shit, I want to switch, but I already have a shitload of apps on my iPhone which aren't available for android/ which I would need to repurchase, so it's too late for that"?

Seriously, there aren't a lot of other reasons I haven't switched to Android, yet...

Actually, if you replace "apps" with "severely overpriced miniatures", the analogy does fit pretty well.

Offline Scotsgit

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 07:31:39 pm »

Including the customer going "well, shit, I want to switch, but I already have a shitload of apps on my iPhone which aren't available for android/ which I would need to repurchase, so it's too late for that"?

Seriously, there aren't a lot of other reasons I haven't switched to Android, yet...

Actually, if you replace "apps" with "severely overpriced miniatures", the analogy does fit pretty well.

"severely overpriced miniatures"  Which aren't as good as GW think they are.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 02:46:56 pm »
GW just released a new set of rules for North American retailers.  Some of them are not totally unreasonable (regulating that it be at an actual place of business with regular hours keeps someone from selling out of their basement), but others are pretty wonky.  Like no selling outside of one's country, and no online sales.  Mini Wargaming.com is having to shut down thanks to these new rules.  Now your only option for buying Warhammer figures online is to go direct to GW.  They also don't allow the sale of individual pieces from a set, so if you want that one helmet to complete a figure, you have to buy the entire set.

Yeah, I predict a surge of eBay sales of Warhammer products.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 06:25:16 pm »
GW just released a new set of rules for North American retailers.  Some of them are not totally unreasonable (regulating that it be at an actual place of business with regular hours keeps someone from selling out of their basement), but others are pretty wonky.  Like no selling outside of one's country, and no online sales.  Mini Wargaming.com is having to shut down thanks to these new rules.  Now your only option for buying Warhammer figures online is to go direct to GW.  They also don't allow the sale of individual pieces from a set, so if you want that one helmet to complete a figure, you have to buy the entire set.

Yeah, I predict a surge of eBay sales of Warhammer products.

It won't affect me personally, as I always buy directly from GW (there's a local store, so I don't have to pay for shipping), but I don't like this.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Distind

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 06:42:48 pm »
None of these sound any worse then their old rules. I've got the big fat binder of rules they had for a local shop, they gave it to me after they ditched GW due to the requirements. Well, the binder, they took the rules out.

Offline Scotsgit

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 02:44:01 pm »
It just seems more of the bullshit that we've come to associate with GW:  They're putting their prices up again and trying to get people to use their online store, even though, as MiniWargaming points out, they're website is shite.

There are other games out there, but I do still love the 40K Universe and so I hate to see it ruined like this.

Offline Scotsgit

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 01:04:42 am »
Then again, this stuff is nicer......

http://dreamforge-games.com/catalog/