Author Topic: Romney’s Advice To The Uninsured: Go To The ER  (Read 5426 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Romney’s Advice To The Uninsured: Go To The ER
« on: September 24, 2012, 11:56:14 am »
    PELLEY: Does the government have a responsibility to provide health care to the 50 million Americans who don’t have it today?

ROMNEY: Well, we do provide care for people who don’t have insurance, people — we– if someone has a heart attack, they don’t sit in their apartment and die. We pick them up in an ambulance, and take them to the hospital, and give them care. And different states have different ways of providing for that care.

PELLEY: That’s the most expensive way to do it…In an emergency room.

ROMNEY: Different, again, different states have different ways of doing that. Some provide that care through clinics. Some provide the care through emergency rooms. In my state, we found a solution that worked for my state. But I wouldn’t take what we did in Massachusetts and say to Texas, “You’ve got to take the Massachusetts model.”

However, as Pelley points out, ambulatory care is extraordinarily expensive and shifts costs from often-uninsured emergency room patients into the overall health care market, effectively driving up everyone’s cost of care.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/09/24/895861/mitt-romney-emergency-room/

So in other words he is in favor of keeping the current broken health care model we already currently have and doesn't work effectively.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Blood God Nipso

• Apprentice
Re: Romney’s Advice To The Uninsured: Go To The ER
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 12:58:52 pm »
I very much doubt he's actually in favour of it, he just has to oppose the AHCA to get his voters to turn up.

Offline agentCDE

• Bishop
  • Slacker Heathen Extraordinaire!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 01:07:08 pm »
"Romney is an out-of-touch rich guy with no fucking clue how much anything actually costs, part Eleventy Gorrilion."

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 02:03:14 pm »
So what Mittens is saying is that the ER is free?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 02:23:47 pm »

Well if the person in question can't pay for it and is so broke that they will never have the money to pay for it...

Actually, how does this work in the US system? Will it be paid by the goverment (tax payers)?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 02:31:04 pm »
ERs are pay latter

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 03:21:35 pm »
And this is why ERs are so freaking crowded these days. People come down with something simple and can't afford to go to the doctor to treat it, so they have to either hope it gets better or drag themselves to the ER by the time it's gotten significantly worse, because they have to treat you there. Apparently Mitt doesn't understand how preventative measures (like fucking equal access to proper healthcare) save us money.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 03:23:52 pm »
This half the people in ERs are poor single parents who's kid has an ear ache and is unsure if infected

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 04:25:03 pm »
Yet more practical advice from Uncle Mitt.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 05:36:43 pm »
Oh take your bread crumbs and be happy you have anything, Peasants!   Tch... the Riff Raff these days...

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 07:12:51 pm »

Well if the person in question can't pay for it and is so broke that they will never have the money to pay for it...

Actually, how does this work in the US system? Will it be paid by the goverment (tax payers)?

Speaking from experience...You tell them you don't have insurance and you have about 14 days to pay up, or else they put the bill collectors on the job; which is even worse since the call centers are all in central Asia now.   

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 07:47:12 pm »

I hurt my foot in early July - after my student insurance expired and before I got a job with insurance. The ER I went to has a cheaper rate for the uninsured ($450 vs. about $1000), but I still have to pay the $450. The foot doctor I saw about a week later also has a sliding scale, and I'm slowly paying him off.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Online ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 08:10:02 pm »
Amazing...simply amazing.  Mitt truly has no clue how the world works outside of his bubble.

Ironbite-how dumb can he go?  Follow me.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 08:54:59 pm »
Ummm, this is one of the reasons why heathcare is so expensive to begin with, and the system here is fucking broken.  UGH, the stupid it burns.

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 09:39:43 pm »
Yeah, go to the ER. That works.

You can be like me, where you faint on the job and the combined bill for ambulance, ER visit, radiology, and blood work is around $4500...and no, none of that bill covers actually fixing anything as they didn't actually find anything with all their tests that actually needed fixing. In other words, I nearly got charged 5k for a "lol, I dunno" diagnosis. The "indigent citizen" fund only covers partial, so now it's payment plan time.

Yeah, nothing wrong with that approach. Nope, nothing at all. :-/

Mittens can go fuck off, is all I'm saying.