Author Topic: I DESPISE Steam and everyone involved  (Read 7495 times)

Offline dietcokewithlemon

• Neonate
I DESPISE Steam and everyone involved
« on: December 31, 2012, 09:36:35 am »
Steam is shit and I hope Valve and all its employees burn in a chemical fire. I know some people like it but I have bought several games from them over the years and none have worked properly.

Europa Universalis 3 is now finally playable offline - it wan't for a long time - but I still have to block automatic updates or it screws my machine. Gave it another try one holiday a couple of years ago and to my amazement it worked.

Mount and Blade Warband is now playable but was not for the first year where it sat idly on my machine, happily crashing 15 minutes in. I only gave it another try when I had the flu and time to kill. Thanks Valve for whatever update you finally made that enabled me to play a game I purchased with my hard earned money in good faith.

Trying to play Crusader Kings 2 but no luck. Almost an hour so far and I just can't get it to run. Occassionally on holidays or when ill I give it a try and waste an afternoon trying to start a game I bought in a shop but have never actually played. Someday perhaps...

Don't give me any shit about how cheap it is or how convenient. Its not. When I buy a game I expect to PLAY IT.

And then there is their "customer support". You type in and send your problem, you receive an automated response saying they will get back to you, and then......  they never do. Thanks.

Is Steam actually a game supplier or is it a scam? Seriously. I have actually bought games - i bought them as DVDs in shops not realising Steam activation was required - and never actually played them.

Offline dietcokewithlemon

• Neonate
Re: I DESPISE Steam and everyone involved
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 09:44:14 am »
And now its crashed!!! Steam has hung up on my machine and even task manager can't fix it. It just sits there as a big static frozen window. Apparently it was updating Crusader Kings for me. I didn't ask it to but anyway...

So what now. I suppose I have to reboot my machine and try again. Anyone actually played CK2? Is it good? I would love to know. I waited so long for it to come out. I really did look forward all summer. I read most of the Game of Thrones books and was looking forward to some intense medieval politics but sadly no.

My ambition is to get stinking rich, buy Steam and go to their HQ and fire the entire lot. Then as they leave I would beat the shit out of the CEO. With a Crusader Kings 2 DVD case.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 10:36:20 am »

Distind

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 11:03:27 am »
What are you running steam on? I've had it open for probably a month solid on my home machine and the only crashes I deal with are due to shitty games released long before they should have been. Though I don't have the three you mentioned, I think at least one is published by a group that fucked me a few times this year.

Distind

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 11:06:27 am »
Nevermind, Paradox is invovled in all three of those.

Yeah, avoid Paradox titles. I'm not buying shit from their asses again after this year. Paradox titles comprise at least 80% of the games I own that have major failures associated with them. I'm the idiot who preordered sword of the stars 2.

Saturn500

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 12:22:36 pm »
[Facepalm] It isn't Valve's fault the games aren't working properly on your computer. Blame the developers.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 12:53:34 pm »
I do despise Steam's site. I'm glad I don't use it for many games.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 01:02:25 pm »
Paradox's games are relatively unique in that they are extremely simple to run without Steam, to the point where just like any other game you simply navigate to their folder and open them normally. If that does not work, it is pretty likely it's a problem with your computer and not with Steam.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Saturn500

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 01:25:43 pm »
The only sensible reason I can think of to dislike Steam is that your games are tied to your account, so if you lose your account, you lose your games. But that can be easily rectified by:

1. Keeping your account information in a safe place.
2. Not doing anything ban-worthy.

Really, if you can think of a better (realistic) way to stop piracy, I'd like to hear it. Seriously, I'm all ears.

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 01:35:06 pm »
Steam is shit and I hope Valve and all its employees burn in a chemical fire. I know some people like it but I have bought several games from them over the years and none have worked properly.

This is probably your machine, in all honesty. All of my Steam games run fine except the ones that won't run on Windows 7 no matter where you get them from, but those are still usually fixed with unofficial patches.

Mount and Blade Warband is now playable but was not for the first year where it sat idly on my machine, happily crashing 15 minutes in. I only gave it another try when I had the flu and time to kill. Thanks Valve for whatever update you finally made that enabled me to play a game I purchased with my hard earned money in good faith.

Valve doesn't make updates for games, they just release the patches that the developers put out. It doesn't help that Paradox games tend to be a little buggy anyway.

Is Steam actually a game supplier or is it a scam? Seriously. I have actually bought games - i bought them as DVDs in shops not realising Steam activation was required - and never actually played them.

Steam is actually a legitimate game supplier that's been around for years.

If you can post the error messages you've been getting as well as your computer specs, I can probably help you. Honestly, Google searches are more helpful than customer support on any platform if you know where to look.
"Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave." - The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 01:50:43 pm »
*Joker* And here... we... GO! */Joker*

*breaks out the booze*
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 04:45:06 pm »
I'd say something about this not being Steam's fault, but then I'd just be redundant.

So I'll instead say this:

Purple blumkupf ichigo statutory bump bump.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 05:56:09 pm »
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 06:03:27 pm »
1) It's your own damn fault for not checking out the publisher and seeing how good they are.
2) It's your own damn fault for not checking what all is required to be able to play a game. Do you also not bother to check the system requirements?
3) It's not Steam's fault that it wants to make sure you have updates. It's not Steam's fault your machine can't handle updating or the client.
4) You need to take a damn chill pill. Wishing death on every single person involved in Steam and Valve is a shitty thing to do, regardless of how upset you are.
5) Take a bigger chill pill as you reply to people who you will probably accuse of being Steam Apologists.

Also if you want medieval politics you don't need crusader kings.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 06:32:16 pm »
Yeah. I have to say... I own tons of steam games. Not a single one gives me problems. Dawn of War used to have trouble launching, but that wasn't Steam's fault, it was the game install file screwing up, and that was on the developer. Steam only distributes the product they're given. It's not their job to make it work.

I mean... really. Steam is just a middle man. All it does is offer a place for companies to sell their games. The makers of those games are who ultimate decide if the damned things work right. Being mad at Steam for this is as silly as being mad at Wal-mart if you bought a disc there and the game was a pile of shit that didn't run right.