Author Topic: Food Network says "NO MORE BUTTER!"  (Read 8800 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Food Network says "NO MORE BUTTER!"
« on: June 21, 2013, 07:12:36 pm »
Paula Deen has been....FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRED!/Vince McMahon

SAVANNAH, Ga. -- The Food Network said Friday it's dumping Paula Deen, barely an hour after the celebrity cook posted the first of two videotaped apologies online begging forgiveness from fans and critics troubled by her admission to having used racial slurs in the past.

The 66-year-old Savannah kitchen celebrity has been swamped in controversy since court documents filed this week revealed Deen told an attorney questioning her under oath last month that she has used the N-word. "Yes, of course," Deen said, though she added, "It's been a very long time."

The Food Network, which made Deen a star with "Paula's Home Cooking" in 2002 and later "Paula's Home Cooking" in 2008, weighed in with a terse statement Friday afternoon.

"Food Network will not renew Paula Deen's contract when it expires at the end of this month," the statement said. Network representatives declined further comment. A representative for Deen did not immediately return phone and email messages seeking comment on the decision.

Essentially because Mrs. Butter admitted to being a right old southern lady had had dropped a few n-bombs in her day, the cooking channel has decided she's too damn toxic to even be around food.  Which, admittedly, I'm gonna miss her on the show.  The thing is...will they be showing reruns of her show or are they pulling a Chris Benoit and saying she never existed?  Because Paula Deen's been a mainstay on Food Network for a long time.

Also, no that's not a typo.  They really did have two "Paula's Home Cooking" shows.  Both were very very different in format.

Ironbite-I will miss Paula's Party though.

Offline Clochette

• Bishop
  • spin spin sugar
Re: Food Network says "NO MORE BUTTER!"
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 08:02:47 pm »
Not that I condone using racial slurs, but how was this even an issue? Did she drop the n-bomb in public a long time ago and people only recently found out about it?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 08:13:57 pm »
Uh...

While I'm glad that her absolutely delicious butter-filled monstrosities of cooking are going to be taken off the air where they can do less damage...

...I find the reason for her being fired a bit... fucktarded.  Something happened in the past.  Something which she doesn't do anymore.  Something which is no longer an issue and is not even relevant to her job.

If we had to fire any notable tv personality based off of an embarrassing factoid about their past, I don't think there'd be any TV personalities left.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 08:19:10 pm »
No butter jokes? I am disappoint.

Better Butter.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 08:41:20 pm »
Would've been nice to mention the bigger scandal than the whole "oh I used to use the n-word" thing.

Namely when, for her husband's birthday, she tried to hire black waiters and dress them up as slaves >_>
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 08:47:02 pm »
I'm conflicted. On the one hand, if you're a racist fuckwit you can go right to hell and I agree that decent people should shun you. On the other hand, racist fuckwits cook no worse than decent people. I guess, in a way, cooking shows are not just about cooking.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 11:00:11 pm »
Deen is currently being sued by a former black female manager of the restaurant she co-owns with her brother. The suit alleges that the workplace was hostile and that Deen used the n-word, along with her brother and other managers. The suit was not filed until after the plaintiff left for w/e reason that has not yet been reported by the press. The incident describing Deen saying it would be a great oh so typical Southern wedding if a bunch of little n-words were dressed up in white shirts, black shorts and bowties is one of the allegations of hostile environment brought up in the suit, as well. 

Personally, I am hoping - this is such a backhanded thing, too - that this whole flap is over exaggerations or out-of-context jokes, being used for monetary gain and/or sour grapes by the plaintiff. Deen is extremely successful and a multimillionaire on paper at least. It also makes very little sense for a supposed racist fuckwit to have a black female in senior management, huh? :o

As far as Deen's admission to actually using the n-word, it was in context with having been one of several bank employees robbed and terrorized at gunpoint back in the eighties. Ummmm, when I got a 9mm shoved in my face 2 blocks from my house back in ATL, I freaked out and uttered that word, too, after the guy ran off with my purse. Not condoning my use of it, but I was traumatized and angry and scared to the point that I was yelling and crying. It was maybe the third time in my 53 years that I ever uttered that word.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 03:24:38 am »
Yeah, something about this doesn't pass the smell test.

... maybe this means Chef Irvine will get a proper show again, though...
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 11:25:39 am »
More things that smell "off" about this. Deen is a registered Democrat who endorsed Obama and had Michelle Obama on her show as a guest, where she praised the First Lady for promoting healthy eating habits, and also proceeded to tempt and tease Obama into eating some of her usual over-the-top deliciously unhealthy Southern dishes. That was done for fun, too. Obama did not appear to be offended, either. I used to live in Georgia, and Savannah does have a reputation for being a small but sophisticated city full of artists and writers. No doubt there are plenty of old money, Southern country club-type racist assholes there, but I just don't see it in Deen. Don't let that sugary drawling accent of hers condemn her before the law suit is finished in court.

As to the quote about dressing n-words in white shirts, shorts and bow ties? Sounds like an example of sarcastic humor to me. White Southerners make fun of rich, racist Southerners all the time. We imitate their blind-stupid, high and mighty egotistical bullshit. Was Deen channeling a Southern Belle bridezilla type persona, and trying to tease her brother in re his fiancé? Did she use the n-word, or the slightly toned down variation, a deliberate mispronunciation of "Negro" often used by old bigots in public, "neegra" or "nigra"? My own grandma used to pull that crap - was embarrassing as hell.

Deen also got slammed for an out-take video of her jokingly performing a fellatio-like act while eating a chocolate éclair. Because chocolate=sex trope. I saw it. It's a riot. She's an adult, the video set crew are adults...it was a risqué, goofy joke amongst adults at work, but the way some in the press state it, the insinuation is that she was being obscene and is a horrible person. W/E. That out-take along with a bunch more of Deen being risqué and using four letter words when she made mistakes on camera became a ridiculously huge lawsuit between her and a big promoter of a celebrity chef's tour event. The promoter requested a video blooper/out-takes segment for using as a comedic intro of Deen to the audience of event attendees before Deen was to come on stage and begin her live cooking demos/lectures. He said the bloopers provided were not "family friendly" and inappropriate. But instead of returning the blooper segment to Deen in exchange for something more family friendly, the promoter cancelled Deen's down payment check, kept the video for use in suing her. In the meanwhile, Deen sued him for her contract signing payment.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 11:32:26 am »
Deen is currently being sued by a former black female manager of the restaurant she co-owns with her brother. The suit alleges that the workplace was hostile and that Deen used the n-word, along with her brother and other managers. The suit was not filed until after the plaintiff left for w/e reason that has not yet been reported by the press. The incident describing Deen saying it would be a great oh so typical Southern wedding if a bunch of little n-words were dressed up in white shirts, black shorts and bowties is one of the allegations of hostile environment brought up in the suit, as well. 

Personally, I am hoping - this is such a backhanded thing, too - that this whole flap is over exaggerations or out-of-context jokes, being used for monetary gain and/or sour grapes by the plaintiff. Deen is extremely successful and a multimillionaire on paper at least. It also makes very little sense for a supposed racist fuckwit to have a black female in senior management, huh? :o

As far as Deen's admission to actually using the n-word, it was in context with having been one of several bank employees robbed and terrorized at gunpoint back in the eighties. Ummmm, when I got a 9mm shoved in my face 2 blocks from my house back in ATL, I freaked out and uttered that word, too, after the guy ran off with my purse. Not condoning my use of it, but I was traumatized and angry and scared to the point that I was yelling and crying. It was maybe the third time in my 53 years that I ever uttered that word.

Here's an article that may help you...
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-57391572-10391698/paula-deen-brother-are-targets-of-a-sexual-harassment-lawsuit/

(from article)
Jackson, who is white, was hired at the restaurant in February 2005 and within months was promoted to general manager with a mandate from Deen to turn it into a success.

I'll post a few more articles:

http://www.salon.com/2013/06/20/paula_deens_racism_isnt_shocking_at_all/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/06/20/paula-deen-s-apology-for-using-the-n-word-is-ridiculous.html

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/06/21/paula_dean_apology_celebrity_chef_begs_for_forgiveness_for_using_racial.html
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 11:41:22 am by SpukiKitty »

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 12:15:39 pm »
Jackson has been incorrectly reported as being black by other sources. Really annoying how often misinformation gets spread like wildfire on the web these days. Thanks for finding this older article. Strange how it did not blow up all over the place back then.

The lawsuit still has a lot of very stinky aspects. The restaurant in question has been operating for a long time. The plaintiff worked there for over 5 years. Is there evidence that she filed complaints with government authorities over these allegations? That is what normally happens, then a lawsuit will follow any convictions or rulings against the offending business/owners at a later date. The plaintiff's statements are very alarming and extreme in re Deen's brother, Hiers, to the effect that he was running a tortuously terrible workplace.  There is not much mention of Deen's misbehavior in this article. All we're seeing is a litigation filed in 2012. Which is seeking unspecified damages. Which is what a litigation attorney suggests to get a quick, quiet settlement out of the defendant so as to avoid bad publicity.

A coworker and myself were both briefly harassed by a co-owner/manager of the last restaurant I worked at back in ATL. He was summarily fired by the main owner within two days of us informing about it, his investment was reimbursed to him to literally divest him and legally bar him from ever returning to the building, and to avoid litigation by him in future.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 01:04:00 pm »
Would've been nice to mention the bigger scandal than the whole "oh I used to use the n-word" thing.

Namely when, for her husband's birthday, she tried to hire black waiters and dress them up as slaves >_>

I read about that. Who does something like that?

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 03:23:01 pm »
Yeah this is more than just dropping the N-bomb--she wanted a group of black men dressed in white to tap dance "Shirley Temple style" for her at a "Southern plantation wedding." They fired her? GOOD.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 03:59:49 pm »
http://www.scribd.com/doc/148832518/Paula-Deen-Deposition-Testimony

This is the actual court deposition from which quotes are being booted about in the press. Jackson's quotes, not Deen's. Deen is then interrogated and responds. Do you want to read her side of it or not? If so, use the link and scroll to page 17 of 26 (the blue font indicates online page breaks).

The reason I am going out on a limb with this story is that it is causing a similar web storm as the one when the late, unlamentable teahadi, Andrew Breitbart, libeled an innocent Dept of Agriculture employee, Shirley Sherrod, as a racist. The woman was basically web-lynched, and lost her job because the Secretary of Agriculture panicked at all the awful political fallout he perceived coming out of her alleged racist statements.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 04:45:08 pm »
Regardless if Deen is found innocent or not, the fact remains she's tainted goods as far as Food Network is concerned.

Ironbite-.....did I really just type that?