Author Topic: Star Wars  (Read 14268 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Star Wars
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:49:58 pm »
Why in the world do we not have more information about the Mandalorians? I mean their early culture. We've got history but the cultural aspects are lacking. Though there's also early history to think about: How did we get from Dha Werda Verda to the Mandalorians we know? I think we can all see the huge differences between the humanoid Mandalorians and the Dha Werda Verda Mandalorians. Unless I'm confused. But the early history I've found doesn't help clear it up.

I think if we were to stop pussyfootin' around with 3D versions of the damn prequel trilogy we could flesh things out even more with the Mandalorians. They along with the Sith species (not to be confused with the faction) are two of the most fascinating groups in the entire Star Wars universe. In my humble opinion of course. Both early histories are mostly lost in the ether.

K'oyacyi!

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 11:30:22 pm »
I think they should too, even though I'm not that into the whole Ancient/Old Republic Era stuff. I'm more into the Empire/Rebellion Eras, personally.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 01:35:23 am »
I like the eras multiple thousands of years BBY because it's less known. I actually had someone deride me for wanting to do something in 100,000 BBY because they thought nothing exciting could happen. I would have agreed if it wasn't for the fact Coruscant, Korriban (and by extension the Sith), the Muurshantre Extinction, and the Dathomir temples were getting their start around that time. I think that's fascinating to think about the Sith species really getting off of the ground and Coruscant being newly made!

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 01:51:36 am »
Actually wookiepedia has information on this.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Taung
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorians

You see after they had been banished from Coruscant and had found/conquered a planet of their own they began to accept members of other species to join them while raiding other planets. So that's how they became a multi-species army. Then the original Taung were killed of by Revan and his armies just befor KOTOR. (Or atleast they suffered so many casualties that the species died off.)

Slightly on topic I've been having a bit of Star wars binge lately. First I watched a lets play of Jedi Knight: outcast, then I got myself Jedi academy (I like the swordfighting although I still haven't gotten hang of blocks. So I just mostly try to push the Sith down an elevator shaft or other deep pits. Hey it works.) and begun playing it and now out of curiosity I began watching the clone wars series. And then I found out that Timothy Zahn has written another Star wars book and it came out last year so I'm gonna have to buy that one as well...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 03:46:38 am »
That doesn't explain all my points, sadly. And anyways, my recent reading thru the Wookieepedia is what sparked this in the first place. There is still a lot more we can learn about the Dha Werda Verda and the Mandalorians. Besides, the Dha Werda Verda were only believed to be extinct. Who says the final remaining Mand'alor was the final one? We don't know it. Hell, according to the sources the Star Wars in-universe anthropologists are still confused about the Dha Werda Verda and whether they were actually the first Mandalorians.

There is a lot more to learn, I am sure. Just like we need more information about the ancient Sith species.

And what about those female Taung and the Sorcerers of Rhand? Much to be discovered here, I think.

At any rate, I thought this was neat:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4dopv9TrvI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4dopv9TrvI</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6gKLk-5QPw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6gKLk-5QPw</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrRhcgnhjkQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrRhcgnhjkQ</a>

&

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 11:38:31 am »
And then I found out that Timothy Zahn has written another Star wars book and it came out last year so I'm gonna have to buy that one as well...

That's because Zahn is awesome(I'm also a fan of the bulk of James Luceno's work).

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 12:43:53 pm »
And then I found out that Timothy Zahn has written another Star wars book and it came out last year so I'm gonna have to buy that one as well...

That's because Zahn is awesome(I'm also a fan of the bulk of James Luceno's work).

Before I ran into Zahn's Thrawn trilogy all the Star wars Expended universe stuff I had seen was horrible. (Granted I had started EU with those comics where the emperor returns as a clone...) Basically it seemed that in every story the imperials have a new even more powerful super weapon than the previous story. Mostly planet-destroying super weapons mind you, first they put one on a giant space ship, then they had a fleet of planet-destroying ships and Finally there was this one story about a fighter sized ship that could blow up stars...  And Boba Fett comes back from an apparent death and then suffers a new apparent death.

Then came Zahn. Wait what do you mean the villains don't need planet-killing super weapons? And the main villain is not an homicidal-egomaniac? Can they do that!?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 01:18:15 pm »
I really wish that they had done a better job with Daala. She had potential at the start. The idea that pockets of the Empire were hidden away was a good one. Then they royally effed her up and made her an embarrassment to female military commanders everywhere. (seriously, sucking your superior officer's cock is not an appropriate per-requisite for becoming a high ranking military commander. I hate nepotism with a firey passion))

I always particularly enjoyed the Young Jedi Knight series as well as the other series that followed the Solo twins. I think Caedus was brilliant. Tenel-Ka was a rather interesting character on top of it.

Also I think you refer to the Jedi Academy series which admittedly could've been better. Kyp Durron was just... not well written. And the Sun Crusher was insane. We already had a similar character as Kyp in the form of the combination of Zekk and Brakiss.

The Shadow Academy was the only bright spot in the Young Jedi Knights series. But it was also ruined by a clone of the Emperor.

&

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 01:36:08 pm »
Yeah the sun crusher was in those books. Mom bought me one of them (not the first one of course) and after reading it I decided to stay away from that writer/series.

I did read more about Daala from Wookiepedia and agree that she appears to be a waste of potential.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 02:57:04 pm »
I did read more about Daala from Wookiepedia and agree that she appears to be a waste of potential.

That makes me feel better. I've had so many people tell me I was wrong on that front. Hah. Still, she's hot.

&

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 03:11:07 pm »
How did technology progress so fast in the 40 years between, Tales of the Jedi and Knights of the Old Republic?

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 10:25:20 pm »
I really wish that they had done a better job with Daala. She had potential at the start. The idea that pockets of the Empire were hidden away was a good one. Then they royally effed her up and made her an embarrassment to female military commanders everywhere. (seriously, sucking your superior officer's cock is not an appropriate per-requisite for becoming a high ranking military commander. I hate nepotism with a firey passion))

x1000

The worst part is that the authors go out of their way to tell that "she did it by her own merit"bs 

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 08:33:48 am »
During her time in the academy it was by her own merit until she met Tarkin. After that it was just pissed away. What happened during the academy no longer mattered. Also wtf was this the whole Galactic Alliance Chief of State Daala thing? How the HELL did anyone think this was a good idea?!

How did technology progress so fast in the 40 years between, Tales of the Jedi and Knights of the Old Republic?

Are you referring to ships and the like? It's probably related to the continued in-fighting.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:36:39 am by Shane for Wax »

&

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 10:49:16 am »
I'd also really like to see something about the earliest eras, before the Great Hyperspace War.
From a time when lightsabers had to have an external power source attached by cable, when interstellar travel was a rare and difficult undertaking, when the Star Wars universe was closer to the Planetary Romance genre than Space Opera.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 03:30:37 pm »
I'm currently reading Wraith Squadron.  Allston's awesome, and his books are great reads with lots of action and humor. 

I always like Zahn's book; couldn't stand Travis. 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"