Author Topic: Miley Cyrus Comes Out as Pansexual  (Read 3044 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Miley Cyrus Comes Out as Pansexual
« on: August 28, 2015, 10:27:07 pm »
https://www.yahoo.com/health/miley-cyrus-identifies-as-pansexual-what-does-127797473807.html

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this.  On one hand, I think it's nice for pansexuality to have more visibility.  On the other, I kind of wish it was a more respectable celebrity.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
Re: Miley Cyrus Comes Out as Pansexual
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 11:26:00 pm »
Meh. Its a thing. Whatever.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 03:43:36 am »
I'm still trying to figure out why we have the label of "pansexual" in the first place. Isn't it basically the same as bisexuality? I know there's the argument of "bisexuals are only attracted to cis men and women; pansexual includes transgender and intersex" but I have no problem with identifying as bisexual and being interested in trans or intersex people. I dated a transgender girl for seven months and never felt any need to change what I was calling myself. also, I don't know of anyone else who is bi and wouldn't be interested in someone intersex or trans.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 04:39:29 am by Random Guy »

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 04:29:58 am »
I thought this was already common knowledge. 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 06:19:09 am »
In other news, Art Vandelay comes out as not giving a shit.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 09:18:37 am »
I'm still trying to figure out why we have the label of "pansexual" in the first place. Isn't it basically the same as bisexuality? I know there's the argument of "bisexuals are only attracted to cis men and women; pansexual includes transgender and intersex" but I have no problem with identifying as bisexual and being interested in trans or intersex people. I dated a transgender girl for seven months and never felt any need to change what I was calling myself. also, I don't know of anyone else who is bi and wouldn't be interested in someone intersex or trans.

Well, the article states bisexuality suggests that there are two genders. Because Miley states herself as gender fluid or sometimes identifying with neither gender, pansexual could make more sense as a label. There's not really a concrete definition for bi- and pan- though, so the definition of one often depends on how you define the other.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 03:14:59 pm »
Well, good for her.

Personally, I have no issues with her as a person. Her "hotter & sexier" thing is a bit ham-fisted and over-the-top but I have no issue on her, either way. She seems like a good person and the crazy stuff is mainly in her job. Even she thinks Justin Bieber is a douche who's lost his mind. I also like her song, "Wrecking Ball" (not the video, though).

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 05:18:45 pm »
https://www.yahoo.com/health/miley-cyrus-identifies-as-pansexual-what-does-127797473807.html

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this.  On one hand, I think it's nice for pansexuality to have more visibility.  On the other, I kind of wish it was a more respectable celebrity.

The sort of person who identifies as a genderfluid pansexual is not the sort of person who gets respectability. Almost by definition; if you want respectability, you either shut up about it or at worst make some vague gestures towards being bisexual (which people will immediately ignore because bisexuals don't exist, of course).

Anything in the queer, radical, you-have-a-community-on-tumblr-and-nowhere-else umbrella* of sexualities and gender identities is very much about going against established norms, or at least being comfortable outside standard boxes. That's not the path towards getting respectability, at least not until social norms evolve to accommodate. Which they won't if the less-than-respectable people don't come out.

So, y'know, good for her, let's hope for more.

*I don't mean that as a criticism, by the way. I'm very much in this cluster.

Σא

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 03:17:19 pm »
I'm attracted to pans as well, the struggle is real.

Bazinga

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 04:14:25 pm »
So in her next video, she'll be riding a giant pan all but naked instead of a wrecking ball.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 09:17:29 am »
Wait a second. Is Miley Cyrus now a person who's opinion on anything matters anywhere now?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 02:42:36 pm »
Yes.

And you will listen to all the vapid, nonsensical gossip about her that Ultie sees fit to cram down our throats.

You know, responsible reporting of events.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 04:28:23 pm »

It's a case of picking the label that you like better, since they tend to be used interchangeably.

And frankly, fuck Miley.  She doesn't understand the concept of intersectionality one whit.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 04:34:03 pm »
Wait a second. Is Miley Cyrus now a person who's opinion on anything matters anywhere now?

This is less about opinion and more about representation though? I do think public figures adopting different norms re: sexual orientation and gender identity is an interesting subject, because I care about public perception of nonstandard identities.

Yes.

And you will listen to all the vapid, nonsensical gossip about her that Ultie sees fit to cram down our throats.

You know, responsible reporting of events.

...you do realise you don't have to click on every thread, right? It's not cramming anything down your throat if you choose to read the thread with Miley Cyrus on the title.
Σא

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 12:13:14 pm »
That's a fair point, Sigma.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.