Author Topic: Australia's horrifying immigration record  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Australia's horrifying immigration record
« on: February 20, 2016, 07:28:33 am »
Today, Australian police working for the department of immigration tried to kidnap a baby from a hospital to take it back to an island dungeon. Doctors have refused to release her from the hospital because everyone knows the detention facility is conducive to abuse; the deal is that babies will only be released into a safe home. So the police tried to just take her out.

A bunch of people have been holding a vigil in front of the hospital for days, and many more joined them to jump up and down in protest and the cops backed down ... for now.

A reminder of background:

My country routinely locks up refugees, illegally, in another very small island country, without charge, for years. They're kept in camps without adequate services - water, medical, shade, mosquito netting - where they're often raped by camp guards or other prisoners, or assaulted by the islanders who hate them. Journalists are not allowed in. The government last year deported some aid workers for supposedly leaking evidence of the bad conditions - which they hadn't. The government was also criticised by a commission of inquiry run by a bipartisan lawyer for keeping children in these conditions for years, at which point the respected public servant was personally denounced as a liar and a hack, without evidence. This was taken seriously by the press. Australia tows back refugee boats over open seas, safe or not; sometimes they force refugees onto small safety boats and drop them near Indonesia. We've also paid people smugglers to take refugees back to Indonesia, several times, illegally according to the UN. Government also was forced to allow a rape victim to get an abortion, and to fly to mainland Australia to do so, only to deport her back when she delayed immediately getting the procedure to get a counseling and so on. The minister lied that she had refused an abortion, which he knew to be untrue. He said she was playing the country for mugs, which he knew to be untrue. A previous minister, after his concentration camp was stormed by angry locals, including the local police, leading to the death of one refugee and the injury of several others, said it was the refugees fault for going outside the wire, which he knew they hadn't. He tried to stymie attempts to prosecute some offenders, intimidating some witnesses into not testifying. That's the community - a few thousand strong and quite poor - that refugees are expected to all be resettled in; Australia has totally abrogated its responsibility to assist any of these refugees. The former minister was recently promoted.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 07:34:59 am by Lt. Fred »
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Australia's horrifying immigration record
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 02:43:05 am »
I repeat - how the hell do these people manage to exist and not be ripped to pieces by the UN for this kind of thing?

Do they routinely summon Reinhard Heydrich's ghost and call upon him to give them policy advice?

How is Australia so fucking Nazi-esque and how does nobody notice?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 02:46:29 am »
I repeat - how the hell do these people manage to exist and not be ripped to pieces by the UN for this kind of thing?

Do they routinely summon Reinhard Heydrich's ghost and call upon him to give them policy advice?

Because this is what people think of when they hear "Australia":

Whenever someone realizes how fucked up Australia is, they're quickly silenced by having these sicced on them:

Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 02:53:21 am »

Because this is what people think of when they hear "Australia":

Whenever someone realizes how fucked up Australia is, they're quickly silenced by having these sicced on them:

Believe me I've noticed. We have an illiberal "Liberal" party, a nationalist "National" party in power and a spineless "Labor" party in opposition that's terrified of losing the bigot vote. The only ones bucking the trend are the Greens.

It's a bloody tragedy and a disgrace.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 04:40:11 am by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 02:56:28 am »

What is it with you and Nazis? It's like every single post you make mentions them in some for or another.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 03:59:07 am »
It just seems like more and more I see Godwin's Law getting discredited or outright stabbed to death (see, Donald Trump's outright Fascist Campaign strategy).

Okay maybe I am developing a little bit of a habit here - I'll stop.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 04:40:54 am »

What is it with you and Nazis? It's like every single post you make mentions them in some for or another.
You made them sing, you're ultimately responsible you know!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 05:03:50 am »

You made them sing, you're ultimately responsible you know!
Hey, I can't help it if ol' Addie Hittles has such a beautiful singing voice. He's far better at it than running a country, in any case.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 06:54:24 pm »
The child has now been released into the community. The minister vows to kidnap her and take her back to the island dungeon forever, though. Yesterday he said her mum had deliberately spilled boiling water on her in order to get her evacuated to safety, which he knew to be untrue. Nothing will come of this.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 06:59:41 pm »
even if so, evacuated to saftey which implies danger in previous place. Fuck him for straight up wishing a child to be in danger, rather than safe.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 07:08:39 pm »
even if so, evacuated to saftey which implies danger in previous place. Fuck him for straight up wishing a child to be in danger, rather than safe.

The idea is to discourage people from fleeing persecution, by making the alternative worse. If you escape only to find yourself in a nightmare dungeon, hopefully you won't even try in the first place. The thin justification for this bigotry is that a small proportion of those who manage to escape likely torture at the hands of the Taliban* die at sea.

* Et al.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 07:14:56 pm by Lt. Fred »

-FDR

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 08:50:31 pm »
Call me a cynic but my experience working with refugees indicates that they have zero knowledge of the tactics that are supposed to dissuade them.

Those tactics are to make racist Aussies believe the evil brown hordes are being dissuaded from coming. The intended audience is Aussie bigots, not refugees.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 03:28:32 am »
While he overdoes the Nazi refrences, I have to agree the Australian state immigration policy is pretty fucking disturbing.

Indeed, the closest parrallel isn't the Nazi's, it's the USA.

The people they put in stateless hellholes are terror suspects, we reserve ours for the people running away from the terrorists.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 11:40:43 pm »
It is not well known, but Texas has a few Totally Not Concentration Camps for those Mexicans, operated by Ted Nugent. Some of the stories from these camps are downright damning.