Author Topic: Pope Francis I: "All Are Redeemed, And All Can Do Good"  (Read 11662 times)

Offline Yla

• The Beast
Re: Pope Francis I: "All Are Redeemed, And All Can Do Good"
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2013, 05:01:49 pm »
Small nitpick: it's just Francis, not Francis I.; John Paul I. was an exception.

This productive post was brought to you by Yla.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2013, 06:19:27 pm »
So... now that the leader of the world's largest mafia says something nice, he's a good guy? Does his stance on gay marriage and adoption mean nothing, now? Or his rather dubious involvement in Argentina's "dirty war"?

Sorry, not buying it. The RCC has too much to atone for, and both the institution and its new leader have more to answer for than empty platitudes can hope to fix. Instead of giving cute little speeches from his balcony, he should shut up and make some actual changes. Until then, same shit, different asshole.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2013, 08:28:03 pm »
Small nitpick: it's just Francis, not Francis I.; John Paul I. was an exception.

This productive post was brought to you by Yla.

He's only Francis because there has only been one Pope to have taken that name. If there's another Pope who takes the name Francis at some future time, the current incumbent will retroactively be Francis I.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2013, 11:16:42 pm »
So... now that the leader of the world's largest mafia says something nice, he's a good guy? Does his stance on gay marriage and adoption mean nothing, now? Or his rather dubious involvement in Argentina's "dirty war"?

Sorry, not buying it. The RCC has too much to atone for, and both the institution and its new leader have more to answer for than empty platitudes can hope to fix. Instead of giving cute little speeches from his balcony, he should shut up and make some actual changes. Until then, same shit, different asshole.

Yeeeah, ths is pretty much my feeling as well. The RCC has done enough terrible, terrible shit even just recently--never mind historically--that it's justified thinking the worst of them until they bend over backwards to prove otherwise. And not JUST by talking, either.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2013, 05:07:04 am »
I wouldn't say he's become a good guy - I 'will' say that if this trend continues and his viewpoints evolve he might eventually become a good guy. The RCC are still evil monsters - now he can restore the image but it'll take an assload of work.

So I won't say he's a good guy, but this isn't the worst start in the history of Popedom.
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2013, 05:18:05 am »
"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics.  Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone!”

Hasn't he just admitted that religion, and therefore the church and himself, are pointless?  Why bother with worship and all the dogma and whatnot if none of it makes any difference?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2013, 05:23:06 am »
"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics.  Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone!”

Hasn't he just admitted that religion, and therefore the church and himself, are pointless?  Why bother with worship and all the dogma and whatnot if none of it makes any difference?

Because apparently there's some fine dogmatic distinction between "redeemed" and "saved".
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2013, 05:28:48 am »

Because apparently there's some fine dogmatic distinction between "redeemed" and "saved".

I have a feeling that even after the difference is explained to me I still won't get it.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 05:46:34 am »

I have a feeling that even after the difference is explained to me I still won't get it.

I imagine "saved" means you go straight to heaven while "redeemed" means you go via purgatory for a few hundred years.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2013, 05:54:33 am »

I imagine "saved" means you go straight to heaven while "redeemed" means you go via purgatory for a few hundred years.

That place that the Bible never mentions even once, so even if Christianity is true it almost certainly doesn't exist?  I'm not too worried about purgatory lol.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2013, 06:02:29 am »

From what I gather, "redeemed" means that you can be "saved" and go to heaven, but if you don't join the Catholic Church you're going to hell.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2013, 09:26:30 am »
From what I gather, "redeemed" means that you can be "saved" and go to heaven, but if you don't join the Catholic Church you're going to hell.

That's how I read it. Basically, "It's okay that you silly atheists and other religious folks haven't joined the Catholic Church yet. In fact, I'm going to be super nice and forgive you for it, and even give you another chance." Because that's not insulting at all.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2013, 11:18:19 am »
I'm glad the Vatican cleared it up that atheists are still going to hell. Fear of heights and hatred of harp music would make heaven hell for me, anyway ;D
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2013, 01:39:11 pm »

While he hasn't (don't you just love weasel words like 'Redeemed'), I would venture to say that the impetus for most Christians (and indeed most religious people) to worship isn't fear of hellfire, but love of religion/deity/whatever itself.

Even CLF, the really fundie church I used to go to, the people there loved God with a passion normally reserved for .......... Uh ... celebrities.  It wasn't fear of hellfire that drove them, but love of being a Christian.

That being said, no excuse for the shitty things they do.  Not one bit.  And as Jesus Camp showed us, there is such a thing as loving religion too much.  CLF loved its religion too much.  Just saying that outside of the most fire-and-brimstone sects, you'd be surprised at how few people practice religion because of fear of their eternal soul.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2013, 02:08:31 pm »

While he hasn't (don't you just love weasel words like 'Redeemed'), I would venture to say that the impetus for most Christians (and indeed most religious people) to worship isn't fear of hellfire, but love of religion/deity/whatever itself.

Even CLF, the really fundie church I used to go to, the people there loved God with a passion normally reserved for .......... Uh ... celebrities.  It wasn't fear of hellfire that drove them, but love of being a Christian.

That being said, no excuse for the shitty things they do.  Not one bit.  And as Jesus Camp showed us, there is such a thing as loving religion too much.  CLF loved its religion too much.  Just saying that outside of the most fire-and-brimstone sects, you'd be surprised at how few people practice religion because of fear of their eternal soul.

All of which makes it doubly confusing why they use such threats so often to proselytize outsiders and control their members.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.