Author Topic: Mornington Crescent  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Yla

• The Beast
Mornington Crescent
« on: September 23, 2013, 05:17:53 pm »
I gather it would be time for a splendid game of Mornington Crescent.

A current playmap can be found here.

The ruleset can, of course, be obtained in the usual online repositories.

I suggest we use the Duke of Cornwall ruleset in its 1987 incarnation, and add the Great Portland Street Expansion (for it's beautifully straightforward integration rules), the famous Three Stooges (Duke of Cornwall has the unfortunate tendency to lead to entrenched situations, and I've found that they help shake up things again and restore fluid gameplay), and four house rules:
1) Mornington Crescent may not be claimed before the sixth page of the thread, using standard page lengths.
2) Alternative victory conditions as introduced by Great Portland Street do not apply.
3) The Docklands Light Railway, London Overground, and Emirates Air Line are excluded from play. Call me a purist, if you like.
4) Contrary to Duke of Cornwall rule 387d, paragraph 3, item A, Bridges are not considered Elements in the spirit of rule 230.

Participation is open: anyone can enter the game at any time. Already established players are asked to behave like gentlepersons and go easy on the newcomers.
Turns are counted Victoria style. (as in, not counted: players are asked to space their moves honorably.)
Please format the station name that constitutes your move in bold and supply the map region.

I will use the Dunkirk Opening, as named and made famous by Landon in the 1940 Royal Championship, and start with Cannon Street [D6]
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Art Vandelay

Re: Mornington Crescent
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 02:04:04 am »
I only just noticed this thread existed, and I have to say, I am terribly confused.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 06:23:31 am »
I only just noticed this thread existed, and I have to say, I am terribly confused.

I was completely baffled too when I first saw it, and googling has still left me confused.

However, I am now confident enough to play the highly risky, yet potentially rewarding Ladbroke Grove (C3), a bet that will surely pay off.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 07:21:40 am »
We're actually playing, are we? Ah well, Wikipedia has been somewhat enlightening, so might as well.

It's a tough one, but I'll claim Cockfosters (A7) to gain a nice Raid 0 Switchback Initiative bonus and perhaps claim the possibly game-breaking +4 Alignment Control, assuming I can claim the next 14 stations of the Steffordshire's Circle set.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 01:51:47 pm »
Bugger me, I stopped checking for replies after two weeks. My apologies.

Ladbroke Grove is called a beginner's move, but only because the advanced players tend to be snobs. It's a solid foothold on Circle and H&C, and has great potential for expansion. Good choice, I say.

Playing the long game, are we, Art? Starting on Cockfosters is a huge gamble, but if you manage to get Alignment Control, you'll pretty much rule the board.
You are aware that the more players enter, the more likely someone will ruin your day?

I claim Embankment [D5] and use it to Fortify my Cannon Street. There would have been a couple of other options to do this, but Embankment is nearby on the same line, too.

I am going to just watch your gamble for now, Art. I want to see how long you can keep this up.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 03:06:45 pm »
I nuke the entire site from orbit.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 07:05:24 pm »
I nuke the entire site from orbit.
Well that's not going to do anything. Ever played Fallout 3 or Metro 2033?

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 04:12:45 pm »
OK, back to the game.

I claim Embankment [D5] and use it to Fortify my Cannon Street. There would have been a couple of other options to do this, but Embankment is nearby on the same line, too.

I invoke Rule 117 (Hart-Goldman rule, clause 4) to move to Galle, Argyre Planitia. Many (indeed, everybody) might bristle at such a move, but all I'm gonna say is that 1. you can't stop me, and 2. mwahahahaha!

Also 3. good luck now.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.