Author Topic: Bullying  (Read 17042 times)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Bullying
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2012, 09:39:13 pm »
You'd think that'd be enough, but it's not like it stops people. Plus when you tell a teenager something is wrong you've got a fair chance they'll do it anyway, if you tell them "I'd rather not get arrested" they might listen.

Well, yes. it is true you aren't going to stop dumbass kids from being dumbass kids. What I meant was a little different. I assume moderating and administering a site such as this comes with a size 14 steel toed boot designed specifically for punting pictures of body parts that haven't aged the correct amount of years the hell off anything you are controlling. I also assume it comes with a crowbar for removing said boot from whatever knucklehead put the picture there in the first place.

But looking back, you might have meant "We" as the FSTDT community, not necessarily "We" the Moderators.

I dunno, Krad's got some good shitkickers... he probably has boot knives in there for good measure.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2012, 03:11:43 am »
Because I really think that people who engage in this sort of behavior SHOULD be banned from using the internet!

Seriously, this line of reasoning is flawed. First off, it's impossible given how easy it is to find a access point to the internet. Second,  A person completely disconnected from the internet wouldn't even be able to keep up with society. Hell, a large chunk of jobs require a online application and many have been phasing out paper based ones.  Third, such a ban on a person would likely go to court and be struck down. So overall, this isn't a logical approach but a overemotional one.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2012, 04:54:39 am »
Wasn't the legal thing enough? That and because it's, ya know, wrong?
You'd think that'd be enough, but it's not like it stops people. Plus when you tell a teenager something is wrong you've got a fair chance they'll do it anyway, if you tell them "I'd rather not get arrested" they might listen.

Using moral reasoning to stop a person from doing something instead of using legal reasoning is stupid anyway
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Distind

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2012, 06:15:16 am »
Well, yes. it is true you aren't going to stop dumbass kids from being dumbass kids. What I meant was a little different. I assume moderating and administering a site such as this comes with a size 14 steel toed boot designed specifically for punting pictures of body parts that haven't aged the correct amount of years the hell off anything you are controlling. I also assume it comes with a crowbar for removing said boot from whatever knucklehead put the picture there in the first place.

But looking back, you might have meant "We" as the FSTDT community, not necessarily "We" the Moderators.
I'll just leave this here:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/18/us/internet-troll-apology/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

Internet moderation standards aren't quite what you'd expect.

Seriously, this line of reasoning is flawed. First off, it's impossible given how easy it is to find a access point to the internet. Second,  A person completely disconnected from the internet wouldn't even be able to keep up with society. Hell, a large chunk of jobs require a online application and many have been phasing out paper based ones.  Third, such a ban on a person would likely go to court and be struck down. So overall, this isn't a logical approach but a overemotional one.
Not as likely as you'd think. Technically the prick behind that innocence of muslims movie was prohibited from either using computers or the internet by court order after repeated fraud attempts. From what I've seen it's been treated as being perfectly legal. That said, the internet is not vital to survival or communication, so I don't see it getting treated as such any time soon.