Author Topic: Indian Heat Wave Kills Over 1,000  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Indian Heat Wave Kills Over 1,000
« on: May 28, 2015, 06:29:52 pm »
http://www.firstpost.com/india/mega-heat-wave-kills-over-1400-with-majority-in-andhra-pradesh-telangana-the-bad-news-is-it-will-get-worse-2264580.html

Oral salts are available at railway stations, water is being distributed in public places and emergency medical camps are now being set up Andhra Pradesh. It's a belated response to the international media spotlight on the spiking death toll due to the heat across states in India.

According to reports, the death toll due to the heat wave across Andhra Pradesh has now risen to over 800, and the total death toll across the nation could be inching towards 1000. There have been 202 deaths in the district of Prakasam of Andhra Pradesh alone. And there's no respite any time soon.

The meteorological department has predicted that heat wave conditions will continue to prevail in some parts of Andhra Pradesh in the coming days.

The state government for now has announced payment of Rs 1 lakh to the next of kin of all people killed in the heat wave. Andhra Pradesh Deputy Chief Minister said that the state government has also issued an alert to doctors to be ready to provide medical assistance to the heat wave-affected people.

The Times of India reported that the state governments in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh have launched campaigns in villages asking them to wear light clothes, not step out of their homes between 9 and 4 pm unless absolutely necessary. In addition to this, the government is making oral rehydration salts and intravenous fluids available at bus and railway stations to supply to dehydrated passengers.

Christ, poor India.   :'(

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Indian Heat Wave Kills Over 1,000
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 06:53:58 pm »
But climate change isn't real.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 08:49:15 pm »
Man, India always seems to be taking it on the chin.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 10:32:08 pm »
Well it kinda helps that they've got about half the population of the world packed onto that country.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 10:34:55 pm »
But climate change isn't real.

"But it's India!  This kind of thing happens there all the time!"

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 03:39:20 am »
I was thinking to myself, wow what does it take for it to only be recognized now after 1000 deaths, then I remembered that this is India we are talking about and that 1000 people is a tiny percentage of their population. these could all have happened in one day given their population before anyone even noticed the danger of the heatwave. Further given that this is India we are talking about, a country with questionable access to clean water at the best of times and the vast majority of the population living in poverty and working their assess off just to get by, it does not surprise me that this happened.

Global climate change has really picked up the pace lately and its really screwing us over. We have only ourselves to blame. At this point we might as well stop trying to fight against it, and start figuring out how to grow food in conditions significantly hotter than it would normally.