Author Topic: Popular (But False) Pieces of Advice  (Read 9190 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Popular (But False) Pieces of Advice
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2014, 11:57:31 pm »
"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! <3 uwu"

What doesn't kill you only makes you...stranger.

Oh God, I'm in 2008 again.

Holy fuck, it HAS been 6 years.  Son of a bitch, it only seems like last month when that movie was new.

I remember the age well because I was one of many high school students who really thought the Joker was cool.

Unfortunately, I was one of the few to grow out of it within a year. I still vividly remember all of the weird "loners" (you know, the kind who claim to be antisocial loners but actually have quite a few friends who are just as weird and claim the same thing) who were obsessed with Heath Ledger's Joker for several years after the fact, and some continue to make the character uncool now through their association.

My favorite fan theory about that version of the Joker was that he was an ex-soldier, probably even black ops. It would explain his scars, his skill with and ready access to weapons (firing a rocket launcher out of a moving vehicle accurately enough to hit another moving vehicle is NOT easy), his use of stealth, psychological tactics and explosives, and his use of soldiers being hit with a IED as an example of "the plan", while his mental instability could be an extreme case of the "traumatized soldier" stereotype. It may even explain why the GPD couldn't find any trace of him before emerging as the Joker; he might have been involved in operations so secret that even the existence of the people involved was sealed behind high-level security. It also explains why he specifically targets government authorities with his attacks...they represent the system that he felt had failed him and his comrades.

My personal theory adds that he was then exposed to the fear gas and it drove him over the edge.

Ironbite-and then pulled him back up.
I like the theory that there is nothing special about him. He just wants to see the world burn.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2014, 01:00:09 am »
The fan theories are fun and all, but they kind of miss the general idea behind the Joker. He's meant to essentially be an inhuman force; he has no motive beyond chaos and proving that anyone can be chaotic. He has no past and all of his clothes are custom-made by an unknown tailor (maybe even himself) because he literally has no past. For all intents and purposes, he was simply dropped into the universe as is.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2014, 01:56:13 am »
The fan theories are fun and all, but they kind of miss the general idea behind the Joker. He's meant to essentially be an inhuman force; he has no motive beyond chaos and proving that anyone can be chaotic. He has no past and all of his clothes are custom-made by an unknown tailor (maybe even himself) because he literally has no past. For all intents and purposes, he was simply dropped into the universe as is.

While that can work as an explanation for his motives from the perspective of the characters, I find it boring. I've always preferred villains with motivations that make some sort of sense, even if only viewed through a cracked lens. The Joker's hinting at his past and laugh-crying (the script specifically says that it should be hard to tell which he's doing), along with his trying to get Batman to kill him, point to a death wish as much or more than pure chaos.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2014, 10:38:56 am »
And this is the Nolan-verse we're talking about.  Where everyone has a believable origin.  One that's grounded in reality.  No super science here folks.  Just good old fashioned boring reality.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2014, 11:08:30 am »
The things that really sold me on the Joker being ex-special forces were two minor details.  His suit: it was tailor made, untraceable, with no tags.  That is the epitome of being a soldier, especially one deployed to a place like Afghanistan.  The other thing was the military precision of his tactics.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2014, 08:49:05 am »
Plus, he can take a god damned beating from Batman, which villains twice his size have never been able to accomplish.  There's only so much that insanity can do...physical and psychological conditioning, however...  Maybe the Joker was a SERE graduate?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2014, 08:42:38 pm »
Going back to the topic of the thread, one piece of "advice" I heard that really annoyed me was from my 7th grade math teacher who thought telling her students, "Life's not fair" was some kind of earth-shattering but "Chicken Soup for the Soul" like wisdom that she was passing on to her students who would remember it for the rest of their lives.

I guess it worked, because I thought that was the most B.S. advice I ever received, and I still do now.  At the time, I was growing up poor, and my best friend had moved away a year ago back leaving me to deal with my classmates that I really didn't held to high esteem and like wise.  So that "advice" wasn't exactly a stunning revelation to me.

Besides, if you were to use that reasoning, then blacks shouldn't have fought for their civil rights, feminists shouldn't have fought for gender equality, and gays shouldn't be pushing for legalizing gay marriage because "life's not fair", you know.

Just because life's unfair, it doesn't need to stay that way, Mrs. Allen.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:46:13 pm by Kat S. »