Author Topic: 3 american habits that just don't exist in Finland  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
3 american habits that just don't exist in Finland
« on: January 16, 2015, 02:57:41 pm »
This is not a serious thread but I just came across this and thought it was funny and mostly accurate:

http://matadornetwork.com/life/3-american-habits-lost-moved-finland/

1) Being naked in a sauna is quite normal and there is nothing sexual about it. The only part I disagree with is that the writer claims that unisex saunas are considered creepy, this depends on location/group. Some consider them creepy but in some circles unisex saunas are common and normal (though there is still nothing sexual about them. Make a mistake and you won't be invited again.) ...And even in places where there is an unisex sauna there is usually a women only sauna reserved (sometimes men only sauna as well.)

2) IF someone asks "how are you?" it will receive a detailed answer. This is not a question that is made as a part of a greeting unless the asker is prepared to hear all about the other person's medical history and problems at the farm and so on.

3) Who the hell walks while drinking coffee? Do you eat while walking as well?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
Re: 3 american habits that just don't exist in Finland
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 03:21:22 pm »
Hell, I eat while driving. And people keep telling me I need two hands for driving.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 05:09:10 pm »
Yeah, Americans do a lot of stupid shit while driving - eating, texting, drinking coffee, applying makeup... and then there's this lady, courtesy of Florida.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 05:46:36 pm »
Yeah, Americans do a lot of stupid shit while driving - eating, texting, drinking coffee, applying makeup... and then there's this lady, courtesy of Florida.

That's nothing.  I heard about some guy who decided to clean one of his guns while driving.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 08:48:52 pm »

That's nothing.  I heard about some guy who decided to clean one of his guns while driving.
Yeah, but that doesn't allow for "Pubic Enemy Number One" jokes.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 02:06:37 pm »

I do. I also eat while walking (if I'm having a sandwich or something). I like to walk while doing nothing at all, too, it helps me think.

(on a perhaps unrelated note, restless leg syndrome runs in my family).
Σא

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 06:15:08 pm »
Hell, if I'm eating at home, I quite often prefer to pace around the room rather than sitting at the table like a normal, well adjusted person.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 08:13:01 pm »
I can't really eat meals unless I'm sitting down because I feel so unsatisfied otherwise. I need a place to set my food down if I want to pause midway, and I always need a drink on hand. I see some people who can eat entire meals without a drink, and it kills me. I nearly choke if I don't take a drink after 2-3 bites.

As for saunas, they seem to be the complete opposite of relaxing, to me. I don't quite see the appeal of sitting in the heat with a bunch of strangers and their naked junk. It sounds like a perfect social anxiety nightmare, really.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 12:27:31 am »
There are only two things I won't do while drinking coffee. Number one is make more children. Number two is, well, number two.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 03:21:31 am »

2) IF someone asks "how are you?" it will receive a detailed answer. This is not a question that is made as a part of a greeting unless the asker is prepared to hear all about the other person's medical history and problems at the farm and so on.

Number two might be unique to Finland.  Most other places, especially the UK, it seems "How are you?" Is used almost like "Hello" and almost no one is actually expecting or wanting an honest, detailed reply.  Especially with strangers, sometimes it might be different with close friends of course.

As for number 3, I don't drink coffee whilst walking - I've tried and it's too difficult but I do drink bottled water and eat whilst walking, all the time and I'm not American.  You don't always have time to stop and eat.  If you have a half hour lunch break and it takes you almost 25 mintues to walk to the nearest shop and back you have to eat on the move, as at lunch time you can expect to spend a while in the queue at the till.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 03:25:56 am »
I must say, it's quite interesting that a culture that's perfectly comfortable lounging around in the buff with complete strangers somehow finds it shocking when a stranger asks "how's it going?".

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 03:43:21 am »
The thing is that we DON'T get shocked when someone asks "how's it going?" we just assume that they sincerely want to know how "it" is "going." And we are prepared to answer in full length. Because when a Finnish person asks the same question they really want to know how their friend is doing and if they have any troubles.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 04:06:18 am »
That's why is specified asking a stranger. The article seemed to indicate that it's a social faux pas to ask someone you've never met "how's it going" as part of a greeting.