Author Topic: Ohio Republicans push for invasive antiabortion bill  (Read 2115 times)

wrightway

Ohio Republicans push for invasive antiabortion bill
« on: June 14, 2013, 01:48:10 pm »
http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2013/06/ohio_house_republicans_propose.html

One of the provisions would compel providers to tell women that a fetus or embryo can feel pain.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Ohio Republicans push for invasive antiabortion bill
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 02:45:45 pm »
....WHAT SCIENTIFIC GOD DAMN FUCKING REPORT SAID THAT!?

Ironbite-*supernovas*

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 02:46:42 pm »
Can't believe this one:

• Eliminate "medical necessity" as a reason to waive the waiting period. Medical necessity had been defined as a medical condition that complicates the pregnancy so that it warrants an immediate abortion.

The use of the words "medical" and "necessity" in the same sentence should be a pretty big hint that someone might not be able to wait for an abortion. What are these people thinking?

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 03:02:09 pm »
SAVE THE UNBORN LIVES!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 03:09:24 pm »
If this is enacted, Ohio will have to change their state motto to; The Ireland State.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline alaric121

• Neonate
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 03:10:12 pm »
What are these people thinking?

I'd imagine it's something along the lines of "our idiotic voter base (not my opinion of every Republican, just how I'd imagine they think of them) don't like abortion. If we do this, they'll vote for us again!"

Nothing quite destroys your faith in government as watching it in action, I'm finding.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 06:01:07 pm »
If I remember correctly, the last time they tried to pass something like that in another state (Was it Minnesota?), even their own party shot it down.  I have a feeling that'll happen again if they keep pushing this crap.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

wrightway

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 06:47:23 pm »
Yes, but Ohio is well known for enacting idiocy other states would be ashamed of.

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 06:55:55 pm »
SAVE THE UNBORN LIVES!

Except they haven't really thought it through, have they? If a woman needs an abortion to save her life, then the fetus isn't going to live even if she dies. You'd think they'd be for an abortion in that case, so the woman can have more babies later. It's just completely bonkers.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 09:13:07 pm »
DOESN'T MATTER!  SAVE THE UNBORN!

Ironbite-*marches around chanting that*

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 10:34:23 pm »
I don't understand why conservatives never seem to press for a more obvious solution.

I mean, all these restrictions and invasive procedures and lectures are due to the fact that women just don't know a damn thing about being pregnant and need to have men dictate it to them.  They just don't get that they shouldn't be having sex unless they intend to have a baby.

Since women are obviously so unfit for this job and require so much micro-managing, it seems like a more efficient solution would just be to find a way to get men pregnant.  If child-bearing is really a woman's job, why do men always have to instruct them how to do it?  After all, men already know what's best for a pregnancy, so abortions wouldn't even need to be legal.  Men also know how to be responsible with sex and only engage in it when they want children.

So there you go.  Make abortion illegal, and make men solely responsible for pregnancy, and I'm sure all those conservatives will be happy.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 12:45:26 am »
Yes, but Ohio is well known for enacting idiocy other states would be ashamed of.

Ohio was one of the earliest states to give women the right to vote. They got it more than a decade before the Nineteenth Amendment passed.

It was also one of the biggest strongholds of the abolitionist movement and the Underground Railroad.

I'm not saying it's perfect (FAR from it), but Ohio isn't Kentucky or Alabama by a long shot.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 08:18:08 am »
I don't understand why conservatives never seem to press for a more obvious solution.

I mean, all these restrictions and invasive procedures and lectures are due to the fact that women just don't know a damn thing about being pregnant and need to have men dictate it to them.  They just don't get that they shouldn't be having sex unless they intend to have a baby.

Since women are obviously so unfit for this job and require so much micro-managing, it seems like a more efficient solution would just be to find a way to get men pregnant.  If child-bearing is really a woman's job, why do men always have to instruct them how to do it?  After all, men already know what's best for a pregnancy, so abortions wouldn't even need to be legal.  Men also know how to be responsible with sex and only engage in it when they want children.

So there you go.  Make abortion illegal, and make men solely responsible for pregnancy, and I'm sure all those conservatives will be happy.

Man, I would LOVE to see these asshole conservative men shitting themselves over carrying an unwanted pregnancy. I wish we had the technology for this. Then let them give birth through their ass and experience even more pain than women.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 09:07:04 am »

Man, I would LOVE to see these asshole conservative men shitting themselves over carrying an unwanted pregnancy. I wish we had the technology for this. Then let them give birth through their ass and experience even more pain than women.

Well, the Democrats could push for a bill to direct funding toward finding a way to make that happen.  While they're at it, they might as well add a rider to get funding to figure out a way to harness the power of people's heads exploding from the irony when the Republicans cry that the bill is wasting taxpayers' money.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 09:10:06 am »

Well, the Democrats could push for a bill to direct funding toward finding a way to make that happen.  While they're at it, they might as well add a rider to get funding to figure out a way to harness the power of people's heads exploding from the irony when the Republicans cry that the bill is wasting taxpayers' money.

My head is exploding at the irony of Republican pundits on Fox News howling about the NSA surveillance program right now. I don't think my head could take much more irony.