Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren seeking reelection  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Elizabeth Warren seeking reelection
« on: January 07, 2017, 03:51:12 pm »
http://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/01/06/elizabeth-warren-wants-to-stay-in-the-senate-to-fight-trump/21649730/

So Warren, who's been at Trump's throat since day 1, is planning to run for reelection next year.  I'm posting this because, according to the article, the guy running against her, who is about as bad if not worse than Trump, is predicted to have a chance to win . . . in MA!  How bad have we fallen when a progressive could lose to Trump 2.0 in MA?

Also a side question.  I see a number of people slamming Warren for lying about having Native American Ancestry.  Is this true?  Is it as bad as people are making it?  Personally, I'll take someone who's only vice is that over someone who verbally plans to give his entire the state the middle finger if elected, but I was hoping for some more insight on that.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Elizabeth Warren seeking reelection
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 04:39:04 pm »
Some progressives are pissed at Warren for a few things. One, not endorsing Sanders in the primary (and worse, not having the guts to endorse Clinton before the whole process was over and it was obvious Clinton would be the nominee), which they blame for costing Sanders a win in Massachusetts. Two, her speech at the DNC in which she said that Clinton believed and would do a bunch of things that said progressives were convinced she didn't and wouldn't. Three, her utter silence on pipelines like DAPL (especially that one considering her claimed Native American ancestry). Four, the reports that she's looking to get onto various armed services and foreign policy-related committees, which might make her more hawkish.

They might not vote for her opponent, but if enough of them just skip that line on the ballot (or go third-party), it could cost her re-election.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 05:10:02 pm »
Yeah that pisses me off and shows just how out of touch these types of voters really are with reality.  They want perfection and won't settle for anything less.

Ironbite-not getting that makes them angry and causes them to SHOOT THEMSELVES IN THE FUCKING FOOT!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 05:51:31 pm »
Yeah that pisses me off and shows just how out of touch these types of voters really are with reality.  They want perfection and won't settle for anything less.

Ironbite-not getting that makes them angry and causes them to SHOOT THEMSELVES IN THE FUCKING FOOT!

What they want is the DNC to stop moving, as they see it, too far right, and instead to offer a real alternative to the Republicans by moving left, toward Sanders (and believably so--rightly or wrongly, they didn't trust that Clinton would stick to the Democratic platform). The problem is that by objecting even to people like Warren, who is really damned progressive, over a few issues, they're convincing the DNC that moving left is wrong ("You're objecting to Elizabeth Warren? Okay, going that way is a losing strategy, let's go further right."). The correct move would be to support Warren, praising the things she does that they agree with (like the CFPB and her evisceration of bank executives) while making it really, really clear where they think she needs to shape up.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.