Author Topic: Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 159484 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2014, 09:08:45 pm »
I have a job position interview in an hour, and I'm not too sure what I'm being interviewed for.
Just as long as you aren't an anime fan you'll be fine.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2014, 12:49:20 am »
And why would it be wrong to be an anime fan?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2014, 01:07:57 am »
And why would it be wrong to be an anime fan?
The joke is their profile is animu.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2014, 01:20:45 am »
Touhou is not an anime. That's a sensitive issue within the Touhou fandom.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2014, 08:58:46 am »

I made that mistake once, and got an earful for it.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2014, 09:17:44 am »
Is it because it is a game? Because the art certainly seems anime styled.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Eiki-mun

• The Beast
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2014, 02:35:43 pm »
Is it because it is a game? Because the art certainly seems anime styled.

That's exactly it. You're correct that the art is anime-styled, but "is Touhou an anime or something" is one of the most common things we get asked, and like any question repeated over and over, it gets irksome. Especially when the slightest bit of research shows that it's a video game series.

A difficult one at that.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2014, 02:38:00 pm »
Which raises a question: how exactly does one define "anime"?  Most of the definitions I've heard seem inadequate on closer inspection.

Offline Eiki-mun

• The Beast
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2014, 02:42:54 pm »
Anime: Animated TV from Japan. Usually, but not always, adapted from manga, which is basically just a fancy way of saying "Japanese comic books".

Personally, I don't care too much about the distinction, since I hardly ever watch or read anything anymore, but that's what I would usually go with.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2014, 02:26:34 am »
Anime: Animated TV from Japan. Usually, but not always, adapted from manga, which is basically just a fancy way of saying "Japanese comic books".

You are lucky that we don't have anime fanatics here because they would rage at your broad definition. (Apparently a series drawn in "anime style" and animated in Japan is still disqualified from being an anime if it is aimed at western audience. Like Moomin or Cowboy Bepop. The implication is that anyone calling shows like that "anime" is to be called "Baka gaijin.")

Offline Eiki-mun

• The Beast
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2014, 02:28:52 am »
You are lucky that we don't have anime fanatics here because they would rage at your broad definition. (Apparently a series drawn in "anime style" and animated in Japan is still disqualified from being an anime if it is aimed at western audience. Like Moomin or Cowboy Bepop. The implication is that anyone calling shows like that "anime" is to be called "Baka gaijin.")

Some people are dumb. Anyone who uses the phrase "baka" seriously, other than Japanese natives, is a dumb person.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2014, 09:49:38 pm »
Anyone who uses the term "radfem" over a person going bonkers over a sexualized video game character or anything like that can fuck off.

I can also tell you the said person I used to follow until that day posted something on the issue of "cisphobia" like it's an issue, even though stereotypes of cisgendered people are not danger, never were and never will be. Anyone who thinks "cisphobia" is a relevant issue can also fuck off.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2014, 10:09:58 pm »
Anyone who uses the term "radfem" over a person going bonkers over a sexualized video game character or anything like that can fuck off.

I can also tell you the said person I used to follow until that day posted something on the issue of "cisphobia" like it's an issue, even though stereotypes of cisgendered people are not danger, never were and never will be. Anyone who thinks "cisphobia" is a relevant issue can also fuck off.

I agree, nobody should be called a radfem for finding something too sexual.  The problem, however, is that some people cry "misogyny" simply because somebody likes something they think has sexists subtext.

Also, cisphoba may not be as big of an issue as transphobia, but that doesn't make it okay.  Cis people have feelings too, remember that.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2014, 05:16:47 am »
Also, cisphoba may not be as big of an issue as transphobia exist, but that doesn't make it okay.  Cis people have feelings too, remember that.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2014, 05:27:28 am »
So, do you think that cisphobia is ok or are you just trolling?