Author Topic: Breivik verdict: Sane, sentenced to 21 years.  (Read 4112 times)

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
Breivik verdict: Sane, sentenced to 21 years.
« on: August 24, 2012, 08:09:23 pm »
Anders Behring Breivik, the Norwegian far-right extremist, has been sentenced to at least 21 years in prison after a court declared he was sane throughout his murderous rampage last year that killed 77 people and wounded 242.

The Oslo district court declared its verdict that the 33-year-old was not psychotic while carrying out the twin attacks, including the shooting of dozens of teenagers attending a political camp.

The court's decision will have delighted Breivik, who had hoped to avoid what he called the humiliation of being dismissed as a madman.

The mass killer had desperately hoped the court would find him criminally culpable for the killings, claiming they were "cruel and necessary" to protect Norway from becoming overrun by Muslims.
Among the 40 or so relatives and survivors in attendance, some nodded silently as the panel of judges shared their unanimous verdict. Many of those most directly affected by the attacks had wanted Breivik judged of sound mind and sent to prison.

During the hour after delivering the verdict, Breivik stared impassively at the panel of judges, blushing only when details of his fictional Knights Templar organisation were read out. The morning session has been spent largely describing Breivik's meticulous preparations for last year's twin attacks and how he became obsessed with far-right ideology and computer games.
Breivik is almost certain to end his life in prison. Although Norway has a maximum prison sentence of 21 years, Breivik could be sentenced to "preventive detention", which can be extended for as long as an inmate is considered dangerous to society.  The verdict of the most high-profile criminal trial in Norway since Nazi collaborators were prosecuted following the second world war is certain to provoke a strong response.  Most Norwegians, including the victims' families, had wanted Breivik to be found sane so he could be held accountable for what they view as a political crime.

The decision also means there will be no appeal. Breivik's lawyer, Geir Lippestad, promised the gunman will not contest a jail sentence.  Breivik has readily admitted carrying out the twin attacks that shocked the famously peaceful country on 22 July 2011.  After setting off a car bomb outside government headquarters in Oslo, Breivik went on a shooting rampage on Utøya.  Eight people died in the bombing and 69 – 34 of them aged between 14 and 17 – were killed on the island.

The gunman, who has shown no remorse throughout his 10-week trial, has described how he reloaded his semi-automatic rifle while victims sat waiting for him to kill them.  The decision overrides the findings of a report by court-appointed psychiatrists submitted before the start of the trial, which claimed Breivik suffered from paranoid schizophrenia.  That claim, if it had been accepted by the court, would have relieved Breivik of his legal responsibility for the crime and ensured his detention in a specially built psychiatric unit inside Ila prison, just outside Oslo.  He will still serve his sentence in the same jail, where he has been held in isolation for most of the time since his arrest.

It is understood he could challenge a preventive detention sentence every five years.

One of the reasons Breivik's attacks were presented in such graphic detail during the trial was so that the horror of Oslo and Utøya would be well-documented for the day Breivik asks to be released.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/24/breivik-verdict-sane-21-years

In the end I guess he got what he wanted?

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Re: Breivik verdict: Sane, sentenced to 21 years.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:14:27 pm »
So this is, effectively, a life sentence then? That's at least a relief to hear. From what the doctors said he was sane but a complete narcissist.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 09:37:23 pm »
Well honestly despite the prosecutions wishes and Brevicks in my opinion this is justice.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 09:42:18 pm »
So he will live in a nice, comfortable Norwegian prison for the next 21+ years, at taxpayer expense.  He will probably have a higher standard of living than most people on this board.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 09:50:08 pm »
So he will live in a nice, comfortable Norwegian prison for the next 21+ years, at taxpayer expense.  He will probably have a higher standard of living than most people on this board.

You underestimate the value that freedom has.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 09:53:48 pm »
Seriously.

This guy is done.  He's not being put to death, which is what he really wanted, that's the key factor here.  He wanted to be a martyr and now won't be.

Ironbite-justice has been done and this man won't see the light of day until they take him out in a pine box.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 10:07:47 pm »

Losing your freedom sucks, no question.  But he will basically be sitting in a hotel room, with the occasional foray into an exercise yard, for the next few decades.

He killed 77 people, and he won't see any real retribution.

As for the political impact of his actions...well, it's hard to say what will happen.  Frankly, if he really cared that much about his cause, he would have gone after the political leaders, rather than a bunch of kids.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 10:21:10 pm »
He won't be able to kill anyone else, probably ever again. Call me satisfied.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 11:15:17 pm »
I knew I could hear cheering over in Norway.  One of my friends was friends with one of the girls killed in the attack.  I've learned a lot from her about how Norway works, and hearing this gives ME a strange sense of closure too.  I can only imagine how she feels.

Good.  Very good.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 11:22:06 pm »
Also for the record they do have standard jails.  the hotel ones are for the low risk guys.  This guy nope Supermax

Offline BrandonL337

• Tyrannical Pervert Judge (MWAHAHAHA)
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 11:26:36 pm »

Losing your freedom sucks, no question.  But he will basically be sitting in a hotel room, with the occasional foray into an exercise yard, for the next few decades.

As for the political impact of his actions...well, it's hard to say what will happen.  Frankly, if he really cared that much about his cause, he would have gone after the political leaders, rather than a bunch of kids.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Thing is though, the Norwegian system isn't about retribution, it's about rehabilitation, and it's rather successful from what i understand.  Now, obviously, Breviek can't be rehabilitated, but he's not getting out and he won't hurt anyone ever again.  Sure, they could build him a cage and stick him in there until he rots, but what would that accomplish?  It won't bring back his victims and it's singling him out of all the other murderers in the Norwegian system for what could be described as cruel and unusual punishment, at least by the standards of the Norwegian justice system.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 11:32:17 pm »
I hope he dies old, gray, and forgotten there, and at the same time, I hope Law enforcement learns as much as they can from him about what motivates people such as him. He won't be able to kill anyone there, and interviews by law enforcement to him will assure he does more good behind those walls than he did outside of them.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 11:47:27 pm »

So what? The purpose of the law isn't to make people feel better.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 12:30:46 am »

So what? The purpose of the law isn't to make people feel better.

This.

...Er.

Dammit Fpqxz, you have me agreeing with Fred :P
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 12:48:01 am »
So this is, effectively, a life sentence then? That's at least a relief to hear. From what the doctors said he was sane but a complete narcissist.

Short version, an arsehole!