Author Topic: What do you Value in Music?  (Read 3614 times)

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
What do you Value in Music?
« on: November 12, 2012, 12:03:55 am »
For the majority of music, fluidity is key to me. Any sort of screaming heavy music just instantly turns me off because of how disharmonious that sort of thing is. I know this isn't exactly the same for everyone though, so I'm seeking some other points.

All I can think of for most metal is "That's an awfully good background. Too bad I have to listen to this throat tearing gibberish."
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
Re: What do you Value in Music?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 12:47:10 am »
For the majority of music, fluidity is key to me. Any sort of screaming heavy music just instantly turns me off because of how disharmonious that sort of thing is. I know this isn't exactly the same for everyone though, so I'm seeking some other points.

All I can think of for most metal is "That's an awfully good background. Too bad I have to listen to this throat tearing gibberish."
Your views on music pretty much reflects my views. Another is that the vocals isn't so annoying (other than screaming), as that also interrupts the harmony of the song.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 01:15:41 am »
I actually enjoy a little bit of that disharmony with it, provided it can complement it.

I can't really describe it, but the genre of Symphonic Metal has just the right mix of noises I like.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 01:17:50 am »
I prefer music that manages to groove while at the same time be heavy. Bonus points for an artist that uses odd time signatures and unusual scales. Lately, my preference has been for songs that change between clean and distorted guitar, with some light synth effects/melodies, or high-tempo songs with heavy riffs that make me want to fight armies single-handedly with a pair of chainsaws.

If a singer is involved (I listen to a lot of instrumental acts), I don't have a huge preference between singing and screaming, though I'm somewhat picky when it comes to screaming technique. I consider it to be a technique used for emphasis; any artist I listen to who uses only that technique (there aren't that many left, tbh), tend to write really angry songs.

On that note, I'm also really picky about lyrical content; I can't listen to music that's about partying or petty relationship BS. Hell, I barely listen to love songs. Give me someone who sings passionately about social issues, politics, religion, or philosophy over a night out any day. Any artist who masters this and practices what they preach will nullify the above two paragraphs almost without fail.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 01:28:45 am »

Easy solution: stick with the less abrasive forms of metal.

Anyway, to answer the question, I look for different things depending on the genre. For the most obvious examples, let's look at prog rock and heavy metal. For prog rock, I'm looking for complex musicianship that can still sound good. For metal, I love the power behind it. Or at least, that's the short version.

As a massive metalhead, I feel that each sub-genre has its own appeal. While they all share the power weight, how they use it is different.
Power metal: The smooth melodies clash wonderfully with the heavy guitars and often combine with orchestration and synths to create a sound that is "big." This is especially true of bands that use operatic vocalists like Kamelot or Blind Guardian. Especially Blind Guardian. I mean, what do you expect when a band will put over a hundred layers of vocals in one song?

Prog metal: Same kind of appeal as prog rock, only with the weight of metal.

Thrash metal: The anger. The snarled vocals and blunt guitars work for an angry sound that emphasizes metal's crushing weight.

Melodic death metal: Takes the outright fury of death metal, but adds in melodies to take the edge off that turns me away from most straight death metal.

It should be noted that these are only the forms of metal I particularly like. There are bands outside of these sub-genres I like. It should also be noted that these four sub-genres have something in common: a strong focus on musicianship. I like skilled musicians, what can I say?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 01:51:37 am by Wolf Lord Waldorf X »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 03:15:14 am »
I have pretty wide tastes when it comes to music, actually.  I don't like most forms of rap, or most forms of country, but there are songs in both genres that I'll listen to.

What do I value in music?  That's... actually really hard to say.  The only standard I have is...

IF 'ENJOYMENT' => 1
THEN GOTO ILIKETHIS
ELSE GOTO DISREGARD
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 04:44:35 am »
I'm with Her3tik for a good bit of the same tastes, but the difference between us is the heavier the better, for me.  Nothing quite like a good bass drop, which is why I really enjoy dubstep.  I can lose myself in that for hours.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 05:01:14 am »
Well, in black metal I go for anybody that can work in a bit of experimentation, pretty much all the black metal bands I listen to do something completely different than the rest. In instrumental music I go for fluidity and how well I can lose myself in it, I love a nice fuzzy wall of sound to wrap around me, like Sunn O))). Though for every band that has a singer I look for passion in their voice, whether its the sad woe some tones of Melody Gardot, the uplifting screams of Hatebreed or the pure skull fucking pissed off rage that All Pigs Must Die pull off so well.

In all, it's a combination of experimentation and passion. Its like how I like Emarosa, they arent really anything new, but holy shit the singer....
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 05:03:20 am by Deimos »
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 05:07:12 am »
I don't know the specifics, but nearly anything Metallica relaxes me.

Also, I like bass, lots of lots of bass. 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 10:54:30 am »

Easy solution: stick with the less abrasive forms of metal.

I do. Sabaton is one of my favorite bands, though I enjoy them partially for the historical kick too.

I think there's one thing  I did miss is that I'm really big in Industrial and Dark Ambient stuff, which does involve some disharmony and cacophony, but only to an extent. It's used like... the open beat in Classical Music, to give a sense of incompleteness that causes some displeasure to the listener, but also gives an impetus to press on. Then they close it up, pleasure is had, and things are dandy. Or Dark Ambient and industrial keep it and build it to give a sense of dread. If you go too far into the distorted crap territory, you tend to wind up sounding like shit.

I can enjoy good lyrics and be distasteful of stupid ones, but ultimately... It's like a game. A game is ultimately defined by its gameplay, not its story. Music is ultimately defined by its musical prowess, not by the writing. Good writing improves both video games and music, and bad writing detracts, but they don't define the experience to me. So you can have the best story in the world, but if you put it to a terrible beat I'm not going to listen to it.

I'm a sucker for happy songs, regardless though. I guess it's my natural optimism that lends that credence.

I'm also a sucker for musician work and ornamentation. I basically completely dropped The Killers off my listening chart after hearing how horridly the lead singer sings and they don't sound good in concert. Meanwhile Muse has amazing ornamentation at their songs during concerts which just has increased my enjoyment and taste for them.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline That Guy

• Bishop
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 04:48:42 pm »
With anything punk-related (regular ol' punk, hardcore, pop-punk, etc.) - energy.
With anything metal-related (black metal, death metal, doom, etc.) - atmosphere.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 08:31:28 pm »
I have pretty wide tastes when it comes to music, actually.  I don't like most forms of rap, or most forms of country, but there are songs in both genres that I'll listen to.

What do I value in music?  That's... actually really hard to say.  The only standard I have is...

IF 'ENJOYMENT' => 1
THEN GOTO ILIKETHIS
ELSE GOTO DISREGARD

This, basically.  I've been known to listen to Mozart, Metallica, and Motown all in a row.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 09:17:16 pm »

IF 'ENJOYMENT' => 1
THEN GOTO ILIKETHIS
ELSE GOTO DISREGARD

This, basically.  I've been known to listen to Mozart, Metallica, and Motown all in a row.

So have I.

I love classical music, especially Beethoven's stuff.

I also love orchestral music, techno, metal, even the occasional dubstep.

If only I had this much taste in food.  I'm an oddly picky eater.  A fact I actually don't like.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 09:27:45 pm »
That's a good question. It's hard to say. I can forgive shitty lyrics if the music is good, and I can look past substandard if the singer is saying something worth saying. Other than that, something that will compliment my mood.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 04:19:50 am »

On Sunday, my mom and I went to a metal concert. Your comment pretty effectively described our opinion of Insomnium - the background was good, but the growling lyrics were a turn-off.

For me, the lyrics have to be comprehensible. That generally means no growling. Epica (which was the main band we saw) is an exception, as their growled lyrics are a) still comprehensible, and b) serve as a counterpoint to Simone's soprano. Note that this doesn't mean I have to be able to know what the lyrics mean, just that I can sing them myself. Latin chanting is awesome.

I also like epic music, which probably explains my dual love of both metal and classical. I have yet to find a song that could not be improved by adding an orchestra and choir. If the lyrics are of a serious matter, that helps give the song more weight. An example is Sabaton's Lifetime At War, which speaks about the destruction of the Thirty Years' War.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!