Author Topic: Saudi Gov't says it will Paralysis Prisoner If He Cannot Pay Fine  (Read 2822 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
This is some real WTF from the land that mostly stands still in time.

Saudi media reports earlier said the 24-year-old man could be paralysed from the waist down if he could not pay his victim £250,000 in compensation.

Ali al-Khawahir was 14 when he stabbed a friend in the back in the Eastern Province town of al-Ahsa. He has been in prison for 10 years.

The judge in the case has reportedly interpreted the Islamic law of qisas, or retribution, that Saudi Arabia follows as meaning that he in turn could face being paralysed.

Amnesty International has described this as tantamount to torture.

The sentencing is the latest example of Saudi Arabia's fundamentalist interpretation of Islamic law attracting international criticism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22029881

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Saudi Gov't says it will Paralysis Prisoner If He Cannot Pay Fine
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 12:05:38 pm »
So his family, probably poor folks, are gonna have to try and raise an impossible sum?

He was 14! It was a terrible crime, but he was a fucking CHILD at the time.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 01:52:40 pm »
Muhammad H. Christ, that's screwed up.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 01:56:33 pm »
As someone else I know pointed out, this effectively means the rich can get off with a fine while the poor are inflcited with serious, permanant injuries. Yeah, the very definition of justice.

Offline Joey

• Bishop
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 07:24:04 pm »
It disgusts me that we consider these people our allies.
"A human is a system for converting dust billions of years ago into dust billions of years from now via a roundabout process which involves checking email a lot." - XKCD

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 08:11:18 pm »
It's disgusting that a government can PUBLICLY get away with this shit even in this day and age.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 09:42:34 pm »
It's disgusting that a government can PUBLICLY get away with this shit even in this day and age.

Well, there's really no way to stop them. Their control over fossil fuels ensures that everyone will want to pay them lip service (or at least not get on their bad side) in order to have better access to it. That won't change until oil becomes less relevant in society, preferably through advances in alternate power sources.

Even if they didn't have that economic control, what COULD we do? Sanctions don't always help make improvements (look at North Korea and Cuba), and you can't really start a war with them.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 10:21:28 pm »
The House of Saud is a dictatorship, one that is not necessarily beloved of its people. If you withdraw support for said dictatorship- see: Libya.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 01:11:50 am »
The House of Saud is a dictatorship, one that is not necessarily beloved of its people. If you withdraw support for said dictatorship- see: Libya.

Yup. Just a matter of time, and another big upheaval spreading over to inspire 'em. Then we'll get involved...on the crown's side...maybe insisting on a few reforms....sigh.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 01:27:10 am »
This is a special kind of sick.
So many of those theocratic middle eastern countries make me sick. As if 10 years in prison was not enough, permanently paralyzing him and relegating him to being a permanent drain on society and his family is the religiously just thing to do.

To be honest, I really am not sure which is more sick, that the Saudi government would do this, or that the rest of the world just steps back and watches and even supports them. The rest of the world are such oil addcits that the UN just lets everything slide with them. It is pathetic.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 02:49:40 am »
The rest of the world are such oil addcits that the UN just lets everything slide with them. It is pathetic.

It'll be that way as long as the majority of the world still requires oil. Green tech hasn't advanced enough to be practical for the common man or industry, and nuclear power tends to make people panic and begin vomiting and/or wildly shooting at everything in sight out of fear that they'll be irradiated by talking about it.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 08:30:27 am »
I will start by agreeing that this is horrible. The idea that a government would do this makes me sick.

That said, I can't help but wonder how they will do it...
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 10:44:40 am »
I can almost see them going all Hammurabi/eye-for-an-eye on it and stabbing the guy in the spine  :( .

What with the public beheadings and hand chopping and shit that goes down in the name of uber extreme "justice" in some of the ME theocratic countries....yeah.

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 08:46:24 pm »
I will start by agreeing that this is horrible. The idea that a government would do this makes me sick.

That said, I can't help but wonder how they will do it...

Probably sever the spinal cord.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 09:26:53 pm »
I think it's an injecction