Author Topic: Christianity and dinosaurs  (Read 8900 times)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Christianity and dinosaurs
« on: March 21, 2012, 12:07:28 am »
Even though I've been to church a few time the topic of dinosaurs was never addressed. It also seems that Christianity ignores the existence of dinosaurs.

I've met people who seriously believe things like that picture above. I've also heard some say, "It was a conspiracy by the Jews! The fossils are planted!" And they were serious about it.

I'd love to know what you all have heard people say on the topic, especially from YECs. I'll leave you on this note.

History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Cloudy

Re: Christianity and dinosaurs
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 12:19:40 am »
Reminds me of the Creation Museum.

100% 0% historically accurate!

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 12:21:31 am »
Well, the Flintstones was a television show. Does that count?
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 12:44:47 am »
Reminds me of the Creation Museum.

100% 0% historically accurate!

Is that really a creationist museum pictured?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Cloudy

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 12:53:41 am »
Yep.  It's in the Creation Museum in Kentucy, along with other stupidity like this:

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 12:56:47 am by Cloudy »

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 01:44:56 am »
The one about T. Rex having sharp teeth to saw down trees always cracks me up, mostly because it makes me picture its teeth whirring and buzzing around in its mouth like a chain saw.

Plus, why would it need to cut down trees? Are they suggesting that it consumed wood? Ate trees whole? Engaged in mass deforestation, which would eventually kill the dinosaurs?
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 02:36:35 am »
I'm a Christian and I believe dinosaurs existed.  I also believe in evolution and Event One.  Evidence is evidence, and the evidence points to an old Earth.  Very old.  An even older Universe besides.  That doesn't have to negate the existence of an intelligent designer out there somewhere.   I'm also willing to change my views in lieu of different facts and discoveries, however.

I guess it's needless to say that I would not be considered a Christian by a LOT of other Christians out there.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 02:37:02 am »
To be honest, most fundies do acknowledge that dinosaurs really existed. Very few actually deny that the animals themselves were real.

However, that is about as reasonable as they're going to get, and shoehorning the existence of dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures into their worldview has resulted in the following bizarre ideas (which vary depending on the particular fundie you talk to):

Claiming that dinosaurs, like everything else, were created 6000 years ago and therefore coexisted with the earliest humans.

Claiming that dinosaurs were merely modern reptiles that grew to huge sizes before the Flood (modern reptiles never stop growing, you see, and people lived to be 900 years old then, so...)

Claiming that Behemoth and Leviathan in the Book of Job were a sauropod and a pliosaur, respectively.

Claiming that the various mythical monsters (especially dragons) described in different cultures' traditions were inspired by encounters with dinosaurs in the distant past.

As for the "T. rex ate plants" thing, young-earth creationists actually believe ALL animals were herbivores before the Fall of Man.

EDIT: SpaceProg, I agree as both a Christian and a paleontologist.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:21:00 am by Random Guy »

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 02:49:16 am »
What's kind of funny is Earth is only 'Old' in relation to how humans look at it.  It's still kinda youngish as planets go.  It's still got its chewy center.  Mmm... like a cherry cordial... but with dirt.

Cloudy

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 03:16:15 am »
This whole thread reminded me of this little gem of stupidity:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtU5q4z-xXc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtU5q4z-xXc</a>

Things I learned from this video:
  • Dragons = dinosaurs
  • Scientists only believe that dinosaurs are millions of years old and don't have any actual evidence
  • An animal's teeth have nothing to do with what they eat
  • Dinosaurs fit onto the ark because Noah took only baby dinosaurs onto it
  • If scientific evidence contradicts the Bible, scientists must being lying about it
  • A walking, talking dinosaur wearing a suit looks ridiculous

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 02:08:20 pm by Cloudy »

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 01:50:41 pm »
This whole thread reminded me of this little gem of stupidity:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtU5q4z-xXc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtU5q4z-xXc</a>

Things I learning from this video:
  • Dragons = dinosaurs
  • Scientists only believe that dinosaurs are millions of years old and don't have any actual evidence
  • An animal's teeth have nothing to do with what they eat
  • Dinosaurs fit onto the ark because Noah took only baby dinosaurs onto it
  • If scientific evidence contradicts the Bible, scientists must being lying about it
  • A walking, talking dinosaur wearing a suit looks ridiculous

I couldn't watch the whole thing.  The stupid burns.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 01:55:07 pm »
I'm tempted to see how they brought up the whole dragons = dinosaurs thing, but I'm also afraid of lowering my IQ.

Ah well.  I suppose it'll just have to be one of those minor mysteries of life that no one cares about XD
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 02:47:44 pm »
It's just the old chestnut:  Dragons were real, but they were actually what we know today as dinosaurs.  The accounts of dragons in myth and legend are actually referring to dinosaurs that were around the same time as humans.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 02:59:05 pm »
It's just the old chestnut:  Dragons were real, but they were actually what we know today as dinosaurs.  The accounts of dragons in myth and legend are actually referring to dinosaurs that were around the same time as humans.

Ah, that.  I thought it might be that.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 03:12:26 pm »
I'm a Jew and I believe dinosaurs existed.  I also believe in evolution and Event One.  Evidence is evidence, and the evidence points to an old Earth.  Very old.  An even older Universe besides.  That doesn't have to negate the existence of an intelligent designer out there somewhere.   I'm also willing to change my views in lieu of different facts and discoveries, however.

Changed to represent my views. Although I prefer to think that rather than do any actual designing, G-d just set the starting conditions up so that they would produce intelligent life.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!