Author Topic: Judge sells juveniles to private prisons  (Read 6602 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Judge sells juveniles to private prisons
« on: March 24, 2012, 04:58:49 pm »
http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/8576-pennsylvania-judge-jailed-for-28-years-in-kids-for-cash-scheme

After more than 10 years of allegedly sending youths to private prisons in exchange for around $1 million in kickbacks, former Luzerne County, Pennsylvania Judge Mark Ciavarella (left) was sentenced to 28 years in prison — essentially a life sentence for the 61-year-old convicted criminal.

In February, a jury found Ciavarella guilty on 12 counts of everything from conspiracy and racketeering to money laundering and tax evasion. Another 27 counts, including bribery and extortion, were rejected by jurors.
The federal charges stemmed from Ciavarella’s involvement in a criminal plot to fill up privately owned juvenile-detention facilities. According to prosecutors, he was handing out wildly inappropriate sentences to first-time offenders and even children as young as 10.

First of all, I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

Second of all, this is one of the many reasons why private prison are abhorrent and should be abolished entirely.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
Re: Judge sells juveniles to private prisons
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 10:37:50 pm »
It did come out last summer or earlier than that, I believe, when it was first being investigated.  I remember reading about it here, I believe.  Looks like they got around to sentencing him in August of last year.  I was absolutely stunned at this.  Broke my heart.  :(  Ironically, I was just talking about this with someone over dinner tonight and the subject of private prisons.

Offline DharmicDalek

• Neonate
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 10:43:06 pm »
Justice for money is no Justice at all.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 10:48:05 pm »
Who thought private prisons would be a good idea in the first place? In the end, the government is still paying for it, just that this time they have to not only pay the usual upkeep and whatnot, but also make it worth the owner's while. Hooray for wasteful spending I suppose.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 10:52:47 pm »
I'm surprised they didn't get him for human trafficking as well.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 10:55:16 pm »
Justice for money is no Justice at all.

QFT. Close those private prisons,and prevent more of this from happening. Also, find the prisons who made the bribes and shut them down colder than an arctic chill.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 10:57:58 pm »
I'm surprised they didn't get him for human trafficking as well.

I agree.  The stories are just chilling.  My kid is 14 years old, and I swear, reading that stuff about what that judge did again (and even when I read it over a year ago) just chills my bones.  :(

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 11:26:14 pm »
Should this be moved?
Also what annoys me is this is the future cause some private prisons are designing contracts with QUOTAS
angry universe at saying that

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 11:27:26 pm »
I guess it only resurfaced recently because the sentencing was passed? I dunno.

Either way, now that I think about it, I can remember outrage from the old forums :/ I guess my memory of topics doesn't extend a whole year.

Also, how did I accidentally post this in Religion and Philosophy? :S Yes, please move it to Politics and Government.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 12:48:04 am »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 01:23:15 am »
I must have missed this when it was first brought up. I hope the prison owners will also get in trouble. (Besides, what kind of person would think that private prison industry could be a good idea?)

Should this be moved?
Also what annoys me is this is the future cause some private prisons are designing contracts with QUOTAS

WHAT!

I guess it's a good thing that they're in prison industry, since they belong in jail!
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 08:26:01 am »
I must have missed this when it was first brought up. I hope the prison owners will also get in trouble. (Besides, what kind of person would think that private prison industry could be a good idea?)

Should this be moved?

WHAT!

I guess it's a good thing that they're in prison industry, since they belong in jail!
Oh yeah some are setting up minimum numbers of inmates.  Side note he got featured in todays cracked issue http://www.cracked.com/article_19648_5-real-judges-who-put-most-evil-supervillain-to-shame.html

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 10:30:37 am »
As our economy continues to have problems, look for prison privatization to become a bigger issue.  The states just don't have the money to keep running them.

http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/316-20/10052-private-prison-company-to-demand-90-occupancy

Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) has reached out to 48 states as part of a $250 million plan to own existing prisons and manage their operations. But in return CCA wants a 20-year contract and assurances that the state will keep the prisons at least 90% full.

In the past CCA has operated its own prisons and contracted with states to house inmates. But until now the company never offered to essentially take over public corrections systems.

Ohio already has sold one of its largest prisons to CCA. Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal wanted last year to sell three of his state's prisons to the company, but the legislature refused to go along.

And of course, instead of reducing the number or people in prisons, likely the gov'ts will just find ways to offload them onto some other business.  :-/

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 10:32:02 am »
As our economy continues to have problems, look for prison privatization to become a bigger issue.  The states just don't have the money to keep running them.

http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/316-20/10052-private-prison-company-to-demand-90-occupancy

Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) has reached out to 48 states as part of a $250 million plan to own existing prisons and manage their operations. But in return CCA wants a 20-year contract and assurances that the state will keep the prisons at least 90% full.

In the past CCA has operated its own prisons and contracted with states to house inmates. But until now the company never offered to essentially take over public corrections systems.

Ohio already has sold one of its largest prisons to CCA. Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal wanted last year to sell three of his state's prisons to the company, but the legislature refused to go along.

And of course, instead of reducing the number or people in prisons, likely the gov'ts will just find ways to offload them onto some other business.  :-/
why the helll is it at 90% minimum

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 11:07:22 am »
I have no idea -- my cynical comment would be 90% is probably where they make profit.