Author Topic: Gay marriage opponents: "It's about protecting the White race"  (Read 4593 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Yep, because apparently if you ban gay men and women from marrying, they'll all have sex with the opposite and make tons of white babies!  ::)

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/05/02/wife-of-nc-gop-senator-says-banning-same-sex-marriage-about-protecting-white-race/

Jodie Brunstetter is the wife of Republican Senator Peter Brunstetter, the man who authored Amendment 1 in North Carolina, which if approved by the people, would ban same-sex marriage via the state Constitution. On Tuesday during early voting at the Forsyth County Government Center in downtown Winston-Salem, Chad Nance, a freelance journalist, reports that Jodie Brunstetter allegedly told a group of opponents of the Amendment that banning same-sex marriage is about protecting the Caucasian race and making sure that white people reproduce to keep the balance of power tipped in their favor.

An African-American poll worker known only as ‘Michael’ first reported the incident to Nance and others also came forward to tell what they heard. According to Nance, “During the conversation, Ms. Brunstetter said her husband was the architect of Amendment 1, and one of the reasons he wrote it was to protect the Caucasian race. She said Caucasians or whites created this country. We wrote the Constitution. This is about protecting the Constitution. There already is a law on the books against same-sex marriage, but this protects the Constitution from activist judges.”

Funny how they complain about activist judges when it suits them. But on another note, it kinda reveal a lot about the nature of LGBT discourse in mainstream media and politics. Just like NOM's race baiting, these anti-gay people seem to ignore the fact that LGBT people of color exists. They really think gay = white. Personally, I'd like to see more queer people of color being represented in the fight for gay rights.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
Re: Gay marriage opponents: "It's about protecting the White race"
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 04:53:15 pm »
I nominate this news story for the Insane Troll Logic award.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 05:30:16 pm »
There's a really big hole in the "state needs to encourage reproduction" argument. Namely, that banning gay marriage will NOT get gays to marry people of the opposite sex and have babies. Otherwise, THEY WOULD BE DOING SO NOW! Instead, if they cannot marry the person they love, they simply live as an unmarried couple.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 05:38:24 pm »
.....why should the state be encouraging people to reproduce?  I mean...we're already in a population overload, why do we need more babies?

Ironbite-the state needs to get the fuck out of the bedroom.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 05:49:40 pm »
.....why should the state be encouraging people to reproduce?  I mean...we're already in a population overload, why do we need more babies?

I could understand doing this in a country where population is declining.  Of course, banning gay marriage is not actually going to increase fertility rates, there are better policies for doing that.  I don't mean banning contraception or abortion, but rather through things like tax incentives, better insurance coverage for prenatal/neonatal/pediatric medicine, etc.

But again, that has little to do with what OP is describing.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 05:59:04 pm »
Hmm, well, a state wanting to encourage reproduction of their preferred race. This does sound familiar.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 06:15:50 pm »
Gee, SSM opponents, I thought you said that gay couples marrying wasn't like interracial marriage at all!
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline mice34

• Neonate
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 06:27:10 pm »

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/05/02/wife-of-nc-gop-senator-says-banning-same-sex-marriage-about-protecting-white-race/

Jodie Brunstetter allegedly told a group of opponents of the Amendment that banning same-sex marriage is about protecting the Caucasian race and making sure that white people reproduce to keep the balance of power tipped in their favor.

'Oops did I say that out loud?' Hey, this is the first logical (albeit racist) anti-gay marriage argument I've heard.

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 07:34:13 pm »
Yep, because apparently if you ban gay men and women from marrying, they'll all have sex with the opposite and make tons of white babies!  ::)

Jodie Brunstetter is the wife of Republican Senator Peter Brunstetter, the man who authored Amendment 1 in North Carolina, which if approved by the people, would ban same-sex marriage via the state Constitution. On Tuesday during early voting at the Forsyth County Government Center in downtown Winston-Salem, Chad Nance, a freelance journalist, reports that Jodie Brunstetter allegedly told a group of opponents of the Amendment that banning same-sex marriage is about protecting the Caucasian race and making sure that white people reproduce to keep the balance of power tipped in their favor.

An African-American poll worker known only as ‘Michael’ first reported the incident to Nance and others also came forward to tell what they heard. According to Nance, “During the conversation, Ms. Brunstetter said her husband was the architect of Amendment 1, and one of the reasons he wrote it was to protect the Caucasian race. She said Caucasians or whites created this country. We wrote the Constitution. This is about protecting the Constitution. There already is a law on the books against same-sex marriage, but this protects the Constitution from activist judges.”

Funny how they complain about activist judges when it suits them. But on another note, it kinda reveal a lot about the nature of LGBT discourse in mainstream media and politics. Just like NOM's race baiting, these anti-gay people seem to ignore the fact that LGBT people of color exists. They really think gay = white. Personally, I'd like to see more queer people of color being represented in the fight for gay rights.

Assuming this is for real (yes even equality minded liberals can do the "pious lie" thing and this still looks like a he said/she said thing).. I have to wonder how it would go along with this from NOM..

The strategic goal of this project is to drive a wedge between gays and blacks—two key Democratic constituencies. Find, equip, energize and connect African American spokespeople for marriage; develop a media campaign around their objections to gay marriage as a civil right; provoke the gay marriage base into responding by denouncing these spokesmen and women as bigots. No politician wants to take up and push an issue that splits the base of the party. Fanning the hostility raised in the wake of Prop 8 is key to raising the costs of pushing gay marriage to its advocates and persuading the movement’s allies that advocates are unacceptably overreaching on this issue.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/03/27/452547/inside-noms-strategy-race-wedging-black-and-latino-voters-against-marriage-equality/
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 03:59:21 am »
Just like NOM's race baiting, these anti-gay people seem to ignore the fact that LGBT people of color exists. They really think gay = white. Personally, I'd like to see more queer people of color being represented in the fight for gay rights.

I am not too sure about America's demographics on this, but in many non white cultures being gay is vilified to such an extent that gay people of colour either are in Narnia or possibly dead. In South Africa where gay marriage is legal, many blacks are afraid to come out because of how their family will completely disown them and their community would probably attack them and possibly even rape them, and probably kill them. Racial cultures deal with homosexuality differently, and while I am sure its nowhere near as bad in America as it is here in Africa, culture still plays a large role. A lot of the non white cultures are a lot closer knit than white cultures and the rejection by family and friends would be more devastating for them.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 10:32:09 am »
This is very simple: If we outlaw homosexuality, then all homosexuals become straight because they can no longer be gay. This is just like we got rid of all murders, robberies, drugs, digital piracy and bagpipes by making laws against them.

Seriously though, this is not only racist but also really REALLY stupid.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 10:57:11 am »
I suppose they could also argue that if gay marriage is legalized, straight people will start turning gay.

It's ultimately tied to the ridiculous fundie view that homosexuality is a choice and everyone is potentially susceptible to becoming gay.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 12:21:21 pm »
I thought the answer to saving the white race would be to ban miscegenation like those racist "realists" say.

Besides, it's not like same sex couples can't reproduce. Every heard of IVF?
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 04:46:15 pm »
Just like NOM's race baiting, these anti-gay people seem to ignore the fact that LGBT people of color exists. They really think gay = white. Personally, I'd like to see more queer people of color being represented in the fight for gay rights.

I am not too sure about America's demographics on this, but in many non white cultures being gay is vilified to such an extent that gay people of colour either are in Narnia or possibly dead. In South Africa where gay marriage is legal, many blacks are afraid to come out because of how their family will completely disown them and their community would probably attack them and possibly even rape them, and probably kill them. Racial cultures deal with homosexuality differently, and while I am sure its nowhere near as bad in America as it is here in Africa, culture still plays a large role. A lot of the non white cultures are a lot closer knit than white cultures and the rejection by family and friends would be more devastating for them.

The thing about that is that some of those non-White culture had homophobia ingrained into their culture by Western colonists. The Pacific Islanders comes to mind; early studies shows that they were much more opened to fluid sexuality than Westerners at the time, but when the missionaries gained power, it reversed.

That aside, the differing narratives that you mentioned (and the fact that there are racial privileges in the LGBT community) is why it's important for queer people of color voices to be heard and to be represented in the LGBT community. Their struggles can be taken into account when discussing LGBT politics. It would also prevent blatant race baiting like what NOM did.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 11:02:32 pm »
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter