Author Topic: Paper gun gets 5th grader reprimanded...  (Read 9230 times)

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
Paper gun gets 5th grader reprimanded...
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:29:31 am »
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/fifth-grader-reprimanded-bringing-paper-gun-school-181022936.html

You can't make this up... This is easily the STUPIDEST THING I have ever heard. That thing doesn't even look like a freakin' gun! It's shaped like the letter "L"! I've written phone numbers and addresses on pieces of paper that look like that! Does this mean I'm in danger of being arrested or screamed at if I double check an address or phone number in public?

I understand the need for safety in the schools, but this is just fucking ridiculous!

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
Re: Paper gun gets 5th grader reprimanded...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 12:38:29 am »
Better keep Chad out of schools. With all the wink-and-finger-gunning he does, he'd probably end up arrested~
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 01:14:41 am »
And stories like this are why zero-tolerance laws are complete and utter bullshit. It just shows that sometimes the grown-ups have no clue.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 01:15:40 am »
Yeah, the pendulum needs to swing back a bit.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 02:45:36 am »
Better keep Chad out of schools. With all the wink-and-finger-gunning he does, he'd probably end up arrested~

You think they'd let someone like me anywhere near a school in the first place?

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 04:47:06 am »
Hold up. Real guns = good; paper "guns" = bad.

Is that seriously where this country is going? Cuz if it is, we should incinerate it.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 05:15:57 am »
Hold up. Real guns = good; paper "guns" = bad.

Is that seriously where this country is going? Cuz if it is, we should incinerate it.
Utah State University has attempted to ban Nerf blasters from Humans vs Zombies games; however, they've never challenged the extremely conservative state's open-carry policy for real guns on universities.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 05:17:45 am by Random Guy »

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 05:22:02 am »
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/fifth-grader-reprimanded-bringing-paper-gun-school-181022936.html

You can't make this up... This is easily the STUPIDEST THING I have ever heard. That thing doesn't even look like a freakin' gun! It's shaped like the letter "L"! I've written phone numbers and addresses on pieces of paper that look like that! Does this mean I'm in danger of being arrested or screamed at if I double check an address or phone number in public?

I understand the need for safety in the schools, but this is just fucking ridiculous!

An L? That's being generous. It's a square with the corner ripped off.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 11:21:31 am »
I hate zero-tolerance policies so much. Instances like this wrongfully hurt the family and accomplish absolutely nothing in the process. Young kids aren't going to understand what they did wrong, anyway.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 11:55:03 am »
I hate zero-tolerance policies so much. Instances like this wrongfully hurt the family and accomplish absolutely nothing in the process. Young kids aren't going to understand what they did wrong, anyway.

Imagine the life lesson in doublethink when the same schools hire armed guards....I had it better back when we used to have the fear of nuclear war in the back of our minds all the time, and practiced sheltering from bombs under our desks (which would only make it easier to find our incinerated bodies, were it ever to happen....another case of doublethink).
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 05:04:10 pm »
@ MelenORL: remember that little jingle they used to indoctrinate the kids? "Duck and cover ..."  They neglected to add "and kiss your ass good-bye."
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 05:57:36 pm »
@ MelenORL: remember that little jingle they used to indoctrinate the kids? "Duck and cover ..."  They neglected to add "and kiss your ass good-bye."

Hey as long as we're being nostalgic.....:P

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z11-z5P4Jo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z11-z5P4Jo</a>

All we gotta do to update this is splice in a mind-fucked gunman for the bomb!
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 06:03:35 pm »
Zero tolerance policies have always struck me as a "hurr durr hurr" method of handling anything, moreso with schools.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 06:52:56 pm »
Zero tolerance policies have always struck me as a "hurr durr hurr" method of handling anything, moreso with schools.

Zero tolerance is what you get when you let laziness overcome all else. It's based in removing any kind of thought from the process of punishment or determining wrongdoing and simply following a list by rote, and then putting your fingers in your ears and going "LA LA LA LA LA" any time it looks like you might have made a mistake.

One of my friends was expelled from high school because she got searched (one of her friends was found at lunch with marijuana) and she had accidentally left a pocket knife in her backpack.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 07:18:58 pm by chitoryu12 »
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 07:14:01 pm »
Stuff like this just makes me facepalm so fast it's not even funny.  It's just further proof that almost any rule needs some level of discretion.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter