Author Topic: Anon hacked the USSC web site.  (Read 13857 times)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Anon hacked the USSC web site.
« on: January 26, 2013, 04:29:25 am »
http://www.ussc.gov/

Check it out. It's retaliation for the Aaron Shwartz witch hunt.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaPni5O2YyI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaPni5O2YyI</a>

There's a video explaining their motives, demands, explanation, and some of the thought behind this act. There are also files on various gov't officials (I recognized Supreme Court members, not all of them), though I'm hesitant to download them; not sure I want to know what they'll do to my computer. If anyone does download these files, please share their content with me.

Citizens of the world,

Anonymous has observed for some time now the trajectory of justice in the United States with growing concern. We have marked the departure of this system from the noble ideals in which it was born and enshrined. We have seen the erosion of due process, the dilution of constitutional rights, the usurpation of the rightful authority of courts by the "discretion" of prosecutors. We have seen how the law is wielded less and less to uphold justice, and more and more to exercise control, authority and power in the interests of oppression or personal gain.

We have been watching, and waiting.

Two weeks ago today, a line was crossed. Two weeks ago today, Aaron Swartz was killed. Killed because he faced an impossible choice. Killed because he was forced into playing a game he could not win -- a twisted and distorted perversion of justice -- a game where the only winning move was not to play.

Anonymous immediately convened an emergency council to discuss our response to this tragedy. After much heavy-hearted discussion, the decision was upheld to engage the United States Department of Justice and its associated executive branches in a game of a similar nature, a game in which the only winning move is not to play.

Last year the Federal Bureau of Investigation revelled in porcine glee at its successful infiltration of certain elements of Anonymous. This infiltration was achieved through the use of the *same tactics which lead to Aaron Swartz' death. It would not have been possible were it not for the power of federal prosecutors to thoroughly destroy the lives of any hacktivists they apprehend through the very real threat of highly disproportionate sentencing.

As a result of the FBI's infiltration and entrapment tactics, several more of our brethren now face similar disproportionate persecution, the balance of their lives hanging on the severely skewed scales of a broken justice system.

We have felt within our hearts a burning rage in reaction to these events, but we have not allowed ourselves to be drawn into a foolish and premature response. We have bidden our time, operating in the shadows, adapting our tactics and honing our abilities. We have allowed the FBI and its masters in government -- both the puppet and the shadow government that controls it -- to believe they had struck a crippling blow to our infrastructure, that they had demoralized us, paralyzed us with paranoia and fear. We have held our tongue and waited.

With Aaron's death we can wait no longer. The time has come to show the United States Department of Justice and its affiliates the true meaning of infiltration. The time has come to give this system a taste of its own medicine. The time has come for them to feel the helplessness and fear that comes with being forced into a game where the odds are stacked against them.

This website was chosen due to the symbolic nature of its purpose -- the federal sentencing guidelines which enable prosecutors to cheat citizens of their constitutionally-guaranteed right to a fair trial, by a jury of their peers -- the federal sentencing guidelines which are in clear violation of the 8th amendment protection against cruel and unusual punishments. This website was also chosen due to the nature of its visitors. It is far from the only government asset we control, and we have exercised such control for quite some time...

There has been a lot of fuss recently in the technological media regarding such operations as Red October, the widespread use of vulnerable browsers and the availability of zero-day exploits for these browsers and their plugins. None of this comes of course as any surprise to us, but it is perhaps good that those within the information security industry are making the extent of these threats more widely understood.

Still there is nothing quite as educational as a well-conducted demonstration...

Through this websites and various others that will remain unnamed, we have been conducting our own infiltration. We did not restrict ourselves like the FBI to one high-profile compromise. We are far more ambitious, and far more capable. Over the last two weeks we have wound down this operation, removed all traces of leakware from the compromised systems, and taken down the injection apparatus used to detect and exploit vulnerable machines.

We have enough fissile material for multiple warheads. Today we are launching the first of these. Operation Last Resort has begun...

Warhead - U S - D O J - L E A - 2013 . A E E 256 is primed and armed. It has been quietly distributed to numerous mirrors over the last few days and is available for download from this website now. We encourage all Anonymous to syndicate this file as widely as possible.

The contents are various and we won't ruin the speculation by revealing them. Suffice it to say, everyone has secrets, and some things are not meant to be public. At a regular interval commencing today, we will choose one media outlet and supply them with heavily redacted partial contents of the file. Any media outlets wishing to be eligible for this program must include within their reporting a means of secure communications.

We have not taken this action lightly, nor without consideration of the possible consequences. Should we be forced to reveal the trigger-key to this warhead, we understand that there will be collateral damage. We appreciate that many who work within the justice system believe in those principles that it has lost, corrupted, or abandoned, that they do not bear the full responsibility for the damages caused by their occupation.

It is our hope that this warhead need never be detonated.

However, in order for there to be a peaceful resolution to this crisis, certain things need to happen. There must be reform of outdated and poorly-envisioned legislation, written to be so broadly applied as to make a felony crime out of violation of terms of service, creating in effect vast swathes of crimes, and allowing for selective punishment. There must be reform of mandatory minimum sentencing. There must be a return to proportionality of punishment with respect to actual harm caused, and consideration of motive and mens rea. The inalienable right to a presumption of innocence and the recourse to trial and possibility of exoneration must be returned to its sacred status, and not gambled away by pre-trial bargaining in the face of overwhelming sentences, unaffordable justice and disfavourable odds. Laws must be upheld unselectively, and not used as a weapon of government to make examples of those it deems threatening to its power.

For good reason the statue of lady justice is blindfolded. No more should her innocence be besmirked, her scales tipped, nor her swordhand guided. Furthermore there must be a solemn commitment to freedom of the internet, this last great common space of humanity, and to the common ownership of information to further the common good.

We make this statement do not expect to be negotiated with; we do not desire to be negotiated with. We understand that due to the actions we take we exclude ourselves from the system within which solutions are found. There are others who serve that purpose, people far more respectable than us, people whose voices emerge from the light, and not the shadows. These voices are already making clear the reforms that have been necessary for some time, and are outright required now.

It is these people that the justice system, the government, and law enforcement must engage with. Their voices are already ringing strong with a chorus of determined resolution. We demand only that this chorus is not ignored. We demand the government does not make the mistake of hoping that time will dampen its ringing, that they can ride out this wave of determination, that business as usual can continue after a sufficient period of lip-service and back-patting.

Not this time. This time there will be change, or there will be chaos...

-Anonymous
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 04:43:21 am by Her3tiK »
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Anon hacked the USSC web site.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 05:23:07 am »
Anonymous immediately convened an emergency council to discuss our response to this tragedy.

Meaning that /b/ started making a bunch of threads about it.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 09:29:51 am »
OK, I can't let a few of these comments stand uncorrected...

the usurpation of the rightful authority of courts by the "discretion" of prosecutors.

Prosecutorial discretion has always been around. It's actually tied into the legal rules of professional responsibility. Prosecutors ethically cannot bring cases where they feel there is insufficient evidence, and they cannot be held liable when they do bring cases. (Except in rare cases where a prosecutor clearly goes out of bounds, such as bringing a case where there is no evidence. I will take this chance to point out that Swartz actually had done what the prosecutors claimed he had done.) These rules are to protect the citizens (from undue harassment) as well as to protect prosecutors (from claims of harassment).

We have seen how the law is wielded less and less to uphold justice, and more and more to exercise control, authority and power in the interests of oppression or personal gain.

While I understand their argument, I feel the need to point out (again) that Swartz was actually guilty. He admitted to it! Was the law too harsh? Most likely. But prosecutors (and the rest of the executive branch) and the courts do not write sentencing guidelines. (The US Sentencing Commission is part of the judicial branch, but individual trial judges themselves do not make up numbers off the top of their heads.)

the decision was upheld to engage the United States Department of Justice and its associated executive branches in a game of a similar nature, a game in which the only winning move is not to play.

1) As pointed out above, the DOJ has no control over sentencing guidelines. Don't like the law? Hack the US Sentencing Commission, not the executive.

2) Perhaps Anonymous should go back to grade school and learn the branches of government. The USSC is NOT part of the executive branch. It is the head of the judicial branch.

As a result of the FBI's infiltration and entrapment tactics, several more of our brethren now face similar disproportionate persecution, the balance of their lives hanging on the severely skewed scales of a broken justice system.

"The FBI caught us and is trying to punish us for things we did. WHAAAAAA!!!!!" Also, the FBI does not handle actual prosecutions. They work with prosecutors - who work in the Office of the US Attorney - but they do not file cases.

We have allowed the FBI and its masters in government -- both the puppet and the shadow government that controls it

*snicker*

This website was chosen due to the symbolic nature of its purpose -- the federal sentencing guidelines which enable prosecutors to cheat citizens of their constitutionally-guaranteed right to a fair trial, by a jury of their peers -- the federal sentencing guidelines which are in clear violation of the 8th amendment protection against cruel and unusual punishments.

Mandatory sentencing maximums and minimums have been found to be unconstitutional. Which is why they no longer exist. United States v. Booker, 543 U.S. 220 (2005). All sentencing guidelines are a range. There are criteria (developed by the US Sentencing Commission) that, when added together, provide a range of sentence. (For example (not related to Swartz's case), using a firearm in a crime adds a certain amount of time.) Once this range is determined, then prosecutors use them to determine an appropriate offer for a plea, which may be below the range provided by the statutory guidelines. The courts have nothing to do with this process, other than approving (or disapproving) a plea deal once the state and the defendant agree to one. If the defendant does not accept a plea and is convicted at trial, that range is used by the court to determine the sentence.

But again, I am going to repeat... The prosecutor and the court do not pull numbers out of their arse when calculating a sentence. Those numbers are set by an independent commission.

There must be reform of outdated and poorly-envisioned legislation, written to be so broadly applied as to make a felony crime out of violation of terms of service,

Got a problem with the laws? Talk to the legislative branch. (Since Anonymous has shown itself ignorant of the three branches of government in the US, that means Congress.)

and allowing for selective punishment.

I doubt Anonymous has considered the implications of this. Removing prosecutorial discretion and immunity would mean prosecutors would be civilly liable any time an investigation was started, but no charges were filed, or any time a person was brought to trial and acquitted. If such a case was true, no criminal case would ever be brought for fear of the consequences. Even the most cut-and-dry case would be at risk, since there is no way to know what a jury will do. (I sat in at a trial where the defendant was on video tape selling crack. He was acquitted because his face was partially in shadow, even though you could see most of it and you could hear his voice on the tape.)

There must be reform of mandatory minimum sentencing.

Since it doesn't exist, what do you want to reform?

There must be a return to proportionality of punishment with respect to actual harm caused,

Swartz was unlucky. He was caught violating a law that was intended to prosecute those who are a danger to others. But the law (as Anonymous points out later) is blind. It does not matter if you stole a loaf of bread for the thrill of it or to feed your starving family. The second would be an extenuating circumstance, but if the starting level of sentencing is high (which I believe it was in this case, since I think it was an anti-terrorism statute), even extenuating circumstances can only do so much.

mens rea.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk</a>

Mens rea only means the mental state of the defendant at the time of the crime. Motive is unconnected. If the word is "knowingly," "purposefully," or the like, all that matter is that the defendant knew what they were doing. Swartz knew he was downloading files and posting them. It does not matter why, only that he did it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4yd2W50No" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4yd2W50No</a>

The inalienable right to a presumption of innocence and the recourse to trial and possibility of exoneration must be returned to its sacred status, and not gambled away by pre-trial bargaining in the face of overwhelming sentences, unaffordable justice and disfavourable odds.

Again, I have to laugh at Anonymous's idealism. Pre-trial bargains are what allows our courts to not be overflowing with cases. Also, no one took away Swartz's right to a trial. If he did not like the bargain being offered, he had a right to trial.

But I want to repeat that Swartz was actually guilty. He broke the law, and he knew he was breaking the law when he did it. Do I give him credit for standing up for his ideals? Yes, very much so. But if he did not believe he was strong enough to face the consequences of his actions, he should not have done them.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 09:48:08 am »
http://www.supremecourt.gov/

Seems up and running. 

For some reason the term impotent rage comes to mind.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 10:26:21 am »

Seems up and running. 

Wrong site. The site in question was www.ussc.gov, which is the website of the US Sentencing Commission, not the US Supreme Court.

Currently, even Anon's hacked page doesn't load for me. It did earlier, but now I get redirected to my ISP's search page.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 12:09:16 pm »

Seems up and running. 

Wrong site. The site in question was www.ussc.gov, which is the website of the US Sentencing Commission, not the US Supreme Court.

Currently, even Anon's hacked page doesn't load for me. It did earlier, but now I get redirected to my ISP's search page.

My mistake.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 04:05:23 pm »
I heard about this on CNN.  I'll just state my opinion on this as tl;dr.  As far as I'm concerned, Anonymous is being the shitheads they always are, and shit like this is why I have ZERO respect for them.

Anybody care to explain to me how this is nothing more than these guys just being the self-righteous little shits they always are?

Edit:  So I skimmed a bit, and all I see is self-righteous cyberterrorism/cyberterroristic threats.  I doubt I'll gain any respect for them by hearing the details, but who the fuck is this asshole that committed suicide that these shitfaces feel the need to crusade for?  What the fuck did he do?  Not all of us are in the loop.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 06:17:53 pm by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 07:18:33 pm »

It seems up now.

On the subject of Anonymous, I don't get why people still treat them as a group of some kind. Their name is actually more correct than it seems: "Anonymous" is a collection of vaguely affiliated hackers, crackers, script kiddies, whiny hipsters, and delusional teenagers who screw with other people and then put up some long rant claiming to be part of a larger group seeking to bring down "CORPORATE AMERICA!".

The people who are most deluded about Anonymous actually existing and really being some secret cabal are the people who claim to be a part of it.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 07:46:52 pm »
Edit:  So I skimmed a bit, and all I see is self-righteous cyberterrorism/cyberterroristic threats.  I doubt I'll gain any respect for them by hearing the details, but who the fuck is this asshole that committed suicide that these shitfaces feel the need to crusade for?  What the fuck did he do?  Not all of us are in the loop.

Why so angry?

Anyway, he was an internet freedom activist, founded a group that campaigned against SOPA, and played a role in the development of Reddit. There's a lot more here.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 08:19:04 pm »

Why so angry?

Anyway, he was an internet freedom activist, founded a group that campaigned against SOPA, and played a role in the development of Reddit. There's a lot more here.

He also stole a lot of academic journals from JSTOR for charging fees to read them. And I mean a LOT of data. In 2008, he had gotten away with downloading and releasing 20% of PACER's database of federal court documents. That earlier crime was about 19.8 million pages worth. The PACER documents, by the way, were available to access at 8 cents per page. Not exactly bank breaking.

In other words, yeah. He legitimately committed a crime and was going to be given the appropriate punishment....after having done the same thing and gotten away with it only because there was a pending evaluation of the system. So he figured "Hey, I got away with it once, so I can do it all I want!"

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 08:23:37 pm »
I heard about this on CNN.  I'll just state my opinion on this as tl;dr.  As far as I'm concerned, Anonymous is being the shitheads they always are, and shit like this is why I have ZERO respect for them.

Anybody care to explain to me how this is nothing more than these guys just being the self-righteous little shits they always are?

Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 08:48:03 pm »

Why so angry?

He also stole a lot of academic journals from JSTOR for charging fees to read them.

This is not correct. He was perfectly entitled to download as much from JSTOR as he chose (through MIT). He did so semi-sneakily, by changing the IP address on his computer, and he also looked a bit dodgy on some security camera tapes. That's the entire offence. He downloaded something he was entitled to download in a way we prefer he didn't, in a way that violated the terms of agreement of a website. For that crime, fifty years prison.

I'm not saying he should not have been punished. I'm saying he should have been punished commensurate with the crime- a minor fine, at worst. That's what fair law does.

The amount of punishment did not match the crime. Murderers and rapists get decades behind bars, not trespassers. That's very bad, it's essentially arbitrary law. Imagine if the government* could decide, with almost no restriction, how much to punish people for crimes. Is it so inconceivable that a prosecutor could abuse that power to punish people she did not like far worse and punish people she did like much less bad, clearly what has happened in this case? This is why I support Aaron's Law, which brings the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (1984) into the modern world, removing those completely arbitrary sentencing guidelines. It's also why I support firing the people responsible for abusing their power to hunt and persecute minor felons who are also political opponents.

* The prosecutor
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:54:50 pm by Lt. Fred »
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 10:15:05 pm »
The exact charges he was indicted for in 2011 were wire fraud, computer fraud, unlawfully obtaining information from a protected computer and recklessly damaging a protected computer. Can you deny any of these charges? His JSTOR account only allows him to use these articles for personal use, not distribute them on P2P sites.

Moreover, he was never at a particular risk for receiving the maximum sentence. The plea deal would have given him 6 months in jail and MIT was the only one who refused to sign off on a plea deal where he didn't need to serve any time. Swartz killed himself when he was going to spend a few months in a minimum security setting. He was hardly, as Anonymous claimed, being forced between two unfavorable options. Nor was he going to be in maximum security prison until he was middle aged.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 10:34:11 pm »
The exact charges he was indicted for in 2011 were wire fraud, computer fraud, unlawfully obtaining information from a protected computer and recklessly damaging a protected computer.

And the action that, allegedly, is described by these charges? Downloading files he was entitled to access in a shady way. Apparently, violating the terms of agreement of a website (something I and every other internet user does routinely) is wire fraud, punishable by five years in prison. Or more.

His JSTOR account only allows him to use these articles for personal use, not distribute them on P2P sites.

Which he didn't do.

Moreover, he was never at a particular risk for receiving the maximum sentence.

Which is why the prosecutor always insisted on it.

The plea deal would have given him 6 months in jail

Six months too many. A fine would be acceptable.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 11:30:16 pm »

Why so angry?

He also stole a lot of academic journals from JSTOR for charging fees to read them.

This is not correct. He was perfectly entitled to download as much from JSTOR as he chose (through MIT). He did so semi-sneakily, by changing the IP address on his computer, and he also looked a bit dodgy on some security camera tapes. That's the entire offence. He downloaded something he was entitled to download in a way we prefer he didn't, in a way that violated the terms of agreement of a website. For that crime, fifty years prison.

I'm not saying he should not have been punished. I'm saying he should have been punished commensurate with the crime- a minor fine, at worst. That's what fair law does.

The amount of punishment did not match the crime. Murderers and rapists get decades behind bars, not trespassers. That's very bad, it's essentially arbitrary law. Imagine if the government* could decide, with almost no restriction, how much to punish people for crimes. Is it so inconceivable that a prosecutor could abuse that power to punish people she did not like far worse and punish people she did like much less bad, clearly what has happened in this case? This is why I support Aaron's Law, which brings the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (1984) into the modern world, removing those completely arbitrary sentencing guidelines. It's also why I support firing the people responsible for abusing their power to hunt and persecute minor felons who are also political opponents.

* The prosecutor

From what I can tell, you're conflating maximum sentence - which according to what I've read was 35 years, and NOT 50 - with actual sentence.  As far as I can tell, this is exactly what Anonymous is doing.  Unless you have evidence that he was going to get the maximum sentence for his computer crimes, then I don't think you have anything to stand on.

Oh hey, here's the US attorney's statement after his death!

But of course they just cooked that up to cover their butts.  They were totally gonna throw the book at this suicide-risk.

“The thing that galls me is that I told Heymann the kid was a suicide risk,” Good told me. “His reaction was a standard reaction in that office, not unique to Steve. He said, ‘Fine, we’ll lock him up.’ I’m not saying they made Aaron kill himself. Aaron might have done this anyway. I’m saying they were aware of the risk, and they were heedless.”

Yep.  Prosecutors never look at circumstances, and Anonymous is totally justified in acting like they are for their fallen hero!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:32:03 pm by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.