Author Topic: Autocorrect - I don't get it.  (Read 3565 times)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Autocorrect - I don't get it.
« on: February 27, 2013, 02:18:58 am »
Okay, so maybe this is just because I type in shit manually, but I just don't fucking get how people manage to get such ridiculous "auto correct" stuff when chatting on their phones.  Is it that hard to use a real or virtual keyboard and just manually tap out a sentence or two?  Are we really that fucking lazy that we let the machine decide what we'll say?

I really don't get how dipshits say stupid shit from autocorrect.  Seriously, are they doing it for the joke, or are they really that fucking lazy?  It blows my fucking mind.  To make it worse, people are so in a hurry to send stuff that they CAN'T EVEN FUCKING PROOFREAD OBVIOUS ERRORS.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:21:17 am by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Autocorrect - I don't get it.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 02:24:46 am »
You type something that has technical words (or non-standard ones) and autocorrect "fixes" them for you. Some may even be so obnoxious to continue "fixing" them when you go back to correct it yourself.

Of course, three seconds on Google will tell you how to turn off the "feature"...

I think it's part of the "the user is an idiot" mentality that some OSes have adopted of late.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 02:35:59 am »
I think it's part of the "the user is an idiot" mentality that some OSes have adopted of late.

As someone who works in IT I can say with absolute certainty that the user truly is an idiot. Thankfully I don't work in support IT so I don't get the full barrage of stupid stuff, but my boyfriend who works more in support often tells me about the stupid stuff his clients manage to do. Seriously for far too many people, the moment they start interacting with a computer its like their brain shuts off completely.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 02:52:51 am »

As someone who works in IT I can say with absolute certainty that the user truly is an idiot. Thankfully I don't work in support IT so I don't get the full barrage of stupid stuff, but my boyfriend who works more in support often tells me about the stupid stuff his clients manage to do. Seriously for far too many people, the moment they start interacting with a computer its like their brain shuts off completely.

Sure, all users are idiots in some, perhaps many, respects. I'm referring to the mentality that says it's bad to give users choices about how to customize the look and feel of the interface, autocorrect being a part of that, but it extends way beyond autocorrect.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 08:29:23 am »
You type something that has technical words (or non-standard ones) and autocorrect "fixes" them for you. Some may even be so obnoxious to continue "fixing" them when you go back to correct it yourself.

Of course, three seconds on Google will tell you how to turn off the "feature"...

And that's why as soon as I get a new phone, turning off autocorrect is one of the very first things I do.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 08:37:38 am »
I keep auto-correct/auto-suggest on because for me trying to type on a touchscreen phone is like trying to play Flight of the Bumble Bee on the piano with my dick...if I was dickless. However, you're supposed to read over what you've written to check that it makes fucking sense before you send it.

I miss the old days when I could type a text message without having to look at my phone so I could safely text whilst I walked. Now if I want to text someone I have to stand still. Not handy when in a hurry.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 08:40:13 am »
I keep auto-correct/auto-suggest on because for me trying to type on a touchscreen phone is like trying to play Flight of the Bumble Bee on the piano with my dick...if I was dickless. However, you're supposed to read over what you've written to check that it makes fucking sense before you send it.

I miss the old days when I could type a text message without having to look at my phone so I could safely text whilst I walked. Now if I want to text someone I have to stand still. Not handy when in a hurry.

I have a Droid Razr, and luckily auto-correct and auto-suggest are two completely differenc settings.   I've had phones where they weren't and I still would turn it off though.

I do know what you mean about touchscreens sometimes though.  I have big fingers and I'm constantly pressing wrong "keys".
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 08:50:17 am »
I never have auto correct on texts etc I dunno my droid must be disabled.  Maybe it's worse on iOS

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 09:55:30 pm »
I've never had too much issue with auto-correct on my phone.  It tends not to actually replace words unless I select them, though.

Now, Google's auto-complete tends to annoy me.  I'm still used to just typing whatever I'm searching for and hitting enter.  Google likes to add in extra letters and words to the search.  It would be nice if it would actually wait for me to select that suggestion...
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 10:54:38 am »
I turned mine off immediately, mostly because I'm very fastidious about proper spelling and I'm embarrassed if I manage to fuck up, so I always make sure to check whatever I'm sending and immediately correct errors. Autocorrect just makes it harder because it'll keep trying to change words that it doesn't recognize, especially names. Trying to use my mom's phone to send a text is maddening because I keep having to go back and correct the Autocorrect, sometimes multiple times for one word.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 05:58:01 pm »
I find autocorrect useful when used correctly - in other words if you check what you have written before sending!