Author Topic: Mormon Temple Endowment Ceremony  (Read 3208 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
Mormon Temple Endowment Ceremony
« on: April 27, 2013, 11:49:11 pm »
Is this the real thing?  The temple looks a little shabby to me. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms6ny86rXU4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms6ny86rXU4</a>

Art Vandelay

Re: Mormon Temple Endowment Ceremony
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 11:52:24 pm »
For those of us who don't want to watch a one hour+ video to find out, I don't suppose you could tell us what's so interesting about it?

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 11:54:43 pm »
For those of us who don't want to watch a one hour+ video to find out, I don't suppose you could tell us what's so interesting about it?

Was asking if it was the real thing?  I don't know, anyways still more interesting than the rerun of Friends on TV. 

Offline Joey

• Bishop
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 12:46:16 am »
I know you can find a real one on WikiLeaks. It's audio-only, though.
As for this, who know. On the one hand, wouldn't the LDS church try to have it removed from YouTube, citing copyright or something? On the other hand, who would create an hour-long hoax?
"A human is a system for converting dust billions of years ago into dust billions of years from now via a roundabout process which involves checking email a lot." - XKCD

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 12:59:30 am »
On the other hand, who would create an hour-long hoax?
Mormons?

Offline Joey

• Bishop
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 01:47:19 am »
On the other hand, who would create an hour-long hoax?
Mormons?
<tinfoil hat on>
So the mormons released this as disinfo?
<tinfoil hat off>
"A human is a system for converting dust billions of years ago into dust billions of years from now via a roundabout process which involves checking email a lot." - XKCD

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 09:46:11 am »
Basically what it shows is the Mormon 'endowment', which is supposed to prepare the cultists for becoming the kings and queens and priests of the afterlife/heaven... it seems like it's the Mormon version of, essentially, a confirmation ceremony. Sort of. Wikipedia explains it here: Endowment (Mormonism). It doesn't make it any clearer.

I've seen parts of it before but didn't watch this whole one. From what I've seen previously, it's a long, culty church service but most of the audio has been hard to decipher and not all of it is subtitled. It tells them how to conduct themselves when they get to the gates of heaven, how to answer questions, a 'password' or some shit to get into heaven, which if you don't know apparently they pull the Trapdoor to Hell on you, and they give you your 'special spiritual name' or something. This guy gets called 'Eli'. I've also found out that everybody gets the same name at these events, so all the guys there were called 'Eli', and all the women would've gotten another name. Since you're forbidden from telling anyone what your Secret Magical Mormon Name (TM) is, nobody is likely ever go catch onto this.

It's all just as weird and flagrantly cultlike as it sounds.

As far as I know, this is pretty real as well.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 10:05:41 am »
Reading the words, "Mormon Temple Endowment Ceremony", I had a weird mental picture of a Mormon temple getting a giant phallus stuck to it.  ::)

I'm a weirdo, what can I say.

Haven't watched the video. Someone should edit it to show the weird highlights. Do "magic underwear" get mentioned?

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 10:27:13 am »
I strongly suspect this is fake.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 11:13:12 am »
I think it's real. And yeah, this is where they issue the "magic underwear". As outlandish as the ritual and dogma sounds, really it is no more goofy than other established religions' rites and dogma. Mormonism is still new-ish, and the weird is still transparent to non-members, whereas the Abrahamic religions have been fully integrated into our languages and cultures for so long that we just are blind to the derp.

Imagine trying to explain most religions to an extra terrestrial investigator; it would all be alarming and bewildering to an
intelligent being that had no prior context to process it all with  :o.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 06:33:12 pm »
I respect a Mormon's right to practice their faith & believe what they wish. I just take issue with those who try to legislate their stuff or start oppressive, inbred hebophiliac splinter cults.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 12:27:17 am »
Huh...did a little, and by that I checked the first couple paragraphs of their wiki entries, but while JWs did not come from the Church of Latter Day Conmen, they did seem to spring up from the same geographical area.

Ironbite-interesting.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 12:30:44 pm »
Huh...did a little, and by that I checked the first couple paragraphs of their wiki entries, but while JWs did not come from the Church of Latter Day Conmen, they did seem to spring up from the same geographical area.

Ironbite-interesting.

I assume the area had an abnormally high amount of gullible people?

On a rather unrelated note, I've heard that since you have to have a proper church issued ID to buy the special underwear, they are rather valuable if one were to sell them to not church members. Anyone know where I can find a Mormon who's become an athiest but not officially left the church yet?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov