Author Topic: Congress votes to defund ACORN  (Read 4580 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Congress votes to defund ACORN
« on: August 05, 2013, 07:45:40 pm »
In 2013.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/gop-acorn-defunding_n_3690753.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

WASHINGTON -- When House GOP leaders abruptly shelved a bill to fund standard federal transportation and housing programs last Wednesday, one of the legislation's few uncontroversial provisions was a section banning funds for the anti-poverty group ACORN. Had Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio) been able to pass the bill, it would have marked the 13th time that Republicans have voted to block federal funding for ACORN since the GOP took over the lower chamber in 2011.

Oddly, however, ACORN, or the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, does not exist. And it did not exist at any time when the House GOP has held a vote on ACORN's access to government monies -- the group disbanded in the spring of 2010.

Just why, exactly, the House GOP keeps voting to ban funding for an organization that was extinguished more than three years ago remains something of a mystery, and the subject of Democratic ridicule.

"Word is the majority will also prohibit foreign aid to the Ottoman Empire this year," a Democratic congressional aide snarked to HuffPost. (Like ACORN, the Ottoman Empire does not exist.)

"Thirteen votes to defund a program that no longer exists. Forty votes to repeal a health care law that is transforming millions of lives," said Drew Hammill, a spokesman for House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), comparing the anti-ACORN legislation to the House GOP's routine votes to repeal Obamacare. "If their agenda is to do nothing on a timeline of never, they're setting record pace."

I'm submitting this without comment because well.....

Ironbite-I'm busy making my brain's escape route through my skull.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
Re: Congress votes to defund ACORN
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 08:01:12 pm »
In 2013.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/gop-acorn-defunding_n_3690753.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

WASHINGTON -- When House GOP leaders abruptly shelved a bill to fund standard federal transportation and housing programs last Wednesday, one of the legislation's few uncontroversial provisions was a section banning funds for the anti-poverty group ACORN. Had Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio) been able to pass the bill, it would have marked the 13th time that Republicans have voted to block federal funding for ACORN since the GOP took over the lower chamber in 2011.

Oddly, however, ACORN, or the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, does not exist. And it did not exist at any time when the House GOP has held a vote on ACORN's access to government monies -- the group disbanded in the spring of 2010.

Just why, exactly, the House GOP keeps voting to ban funding for an organization that was extinguished more than three years ago remains something of a mystery, and the subject of Democratic ridicule.

"Word is the majority will also prohibit foreign aid to the Ottoman Empire this year," a Democratic congressional aide snarked to HuffPost. (Like ACORN, the Ottoman Empire does not exist.)

"Thirteen votes to defund a program that no longer exists. Forty votes to repeal a health care law that is transforming millions of lives," said Drew Hammill, a spokesman for House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), comparing the anti-ACORN legislation to the House GOP's routine votes to repeal Obamacare. "If their agenda is to do nothing on a timeline of never, they're setting record pace."

That is a great quote right there. The Democrats really need to start mocking the GOP more. It is simply all that they deserve.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 08:07:29 pm »
In 2013.

That is a great quote right there. The Democrats really need to start mocking the GOP more. It is simply all that they deserve.
This reads way too much like an Onion article. It's too hard to process Democratic officials being this... sarcastic.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 08:11:48 pm »
(Like ACORN, the Ottoman Empire does not exist.)

Don't explain the joke, HuffPo.
Σא

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 08:15:08 pm »

To be fair, HuffPo is an American site. They may need to. Our education sucks.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 08:58:14 pm »

To be fair, HuffPo is an American site. They may need to. Our education sucks.

Most people would probably think the Ottoman Empire is a furniture store...
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 12:02:53 am »
In 2013.

That sums up the current GOP in a nutshell.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline BrandonL337

• Tyrannical Pervert Judge (MWAHAHAHA)
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 02:24:43 pm »
At this point this is starting to get kinda sad.  It's like watching a severely mentally handicapped man repeatedly bashing his head against the wall, while his co-workers point and laugh. (though, in this case, he got that way via sniffing glue.)

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 06:00:07 pm »
Wild DESK appeared!

RANDOM GUY used HEAD SMASH!

It's super effective!

Wild DESK fainted!

Offline Leafy

• Radical Radish
  • Pope
  • "My bunny will eat your soul!"
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 08:20:41 pm »
I'd think they could find something better to do with their time...

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 08:21:23 pm »
"You are a goddamn idiot" - Leonard Church
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 04:04:16 pm »
I'm so glad that every problem in the country has been solved.  The recession's over, right?  Unemployment is under 5% again, right?  Budgets are passed and signed, right?   Why not spend their time like this--it's not like there's anything else they need to be doing, right?
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 05:18:59 pm »
I'm so glad that every problem in the country has been solved.  The recession's over, right?  Unemployment is under 5% again, right?  Budgets are passed and signed, right?   Why not spend their time like this--it's not like there's anything else they need to be doing, right?

But then they would be actually... *gasp* DOING something!  And cooperating with the Enemy to do it!  They can't POSSIBLY be caught collaborating with the Enemy.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 01:40:11 am »
I think the worst part of this, is that this is their second or third attempt to de-fund ACORN after it had been closed. It truly boggles the mind how useless and ineffective American politics is. At least with my local brand of corrupt nepotism in politics you can see how every action benefits someone, but America, is just special.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 11:26:24 am »
I think the worst part of this, is that this is their second or third attempt to de-fund ACORN after it had been closed. It truly boggles the mind how useless and ineffective American politics is. At least with my local brand of corrupt nepotism in politics you can see how every action benefits someone, but America, is just special.

It's their thirteenth...
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov