Author Topic: Backlash Against Roofie-Detecting Nail Polish  (Read 9548 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Backlash Against Roofie-Detecting Nail Polish
« on: August 28, 2014, 10:44:52 pm »
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-28958365

Four male college students at the North Carolina State University are developing a new kind of nail polish that changes colour in the presence of date-rape drugs, like GHB and Rohypnol.

The goal of their company, Undercover Colors, is "to invent technologies that empower women to protect themselves," specifically against sexual assault, they said on their Facebook Page.

"With our nail polish, any woman will be empowered to discreetly ensure her safety by simply stirring her drink with her finger," they said. "If her nail polish changes colour, she'll know that something is wrong."

Undercover Colors initially garnered praise, with hundreds of thousands of likes and shares across Facebook and Twitter.

"There are already bulky devices that can be used to test drinks for date rape drugs," writes Adam Clark Estes for Gizmodo .

"But it's not necessarily easy to carry these things around on a night out and whip them out at bars."

However, the inevitable internet backlash came from a surprising source - anti-rape advocates.

"I'm appreciative that young men like want to curb sexual assault, but anything that puts the onus on women to 'discreetly' keep from being raped misses the point," writes Jessica Valenti for the Guardian.

"We should be trying to stop rape, not just individually avoid it."

Valenti argues that promoting products like Undercover Colors is not only ineffective, but also can lead to "victim-blaming," if women don't take all the suggested precautions.
This is fucking ridiculous.  I think George Takei said it best:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yytbDZrw1jc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yytbDZrw1jc</a>

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Backlash Against Roofie-Detecting Nail Polish
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 10:54:47 pm »
Honestly, if this nail polish is legit? That's pretty fucking clever.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 11:39:19 pm »
There's nothing wrong with trying to prevent rape on an individual level.

Yes, society places to much pressure on women to protect themselves and not society as a whole to protect people, but that doesn't mean giving people anti-rape stuff is bad.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 11:41:15 pm »
There's nothing wrong with trying to prevent rape on an individual level.

Yes, society places to much pressure on women to protect themselves and not society as a whole to protect people, but that doesn't mean giving people anti-rape stuff is bad.
Unfortunately, there are certain people who don't see the difference.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 12:12:13 am »
Basically, this is Radfems going - "NO MEN R BAD WHY U NO DO OUR FEMINISM?"
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 12:34:40 am »
Uh.  Okay.

It's one thing to say "It's your fault for getting raped, you should have worn more clothes and screamed louder."

It's another to say "Look, there's bad people out there, here's a barbed female condom you can use, and some fingernail polish that reacts to the chemical commonly used to drug women."

The first one?  Bad and putting the onus of rape on women.

The second one? GOOD, and empowering women to fight against their would-be rapists.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 04:00:29 am »
So if we take Miss Valenti at her word, and listen to her, clearly the best course of action is to take away all tools that women currently have to fight rape, refuse to allow them any new ones, and then hope that somehow, no man will ever rape again.

I wish I could live in a fantasy world like she clearly does.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 07:14:15 am »
Teach men not to rape? I'm pretty sure the actual rapists are the ones who know it's bad, but do so anyway.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 10:27:27 am »
Teach men not to rape? I'm pretty sure the actual rapists are the ones who know it's bad, but do so anyway.
Yeah, those who rape strangers probably usually do but not all rapists fall into that category. Those who rape people they know and who trust them don't even necessarily realize they are committing a rape. That's where teaching people about what constitutes a consent to having sex can help the issue.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 11:43:05 am »
Yeah, those who rape strangers probably usually do but not all rapists fall into that category. Those who rape people they know and who trust them don't even necessarily realize they are committing a rape. That's where teaching people about what constitutes a consent to having sex can help the issue.
I suppose this counts as a source:http://jezebel.com/5404064/rapists-admit-repeated-crimes--as-long-as-you-dont-call-it-rape

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 11:43:40 am »

Sure, fair enough.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 05:38:28 pm »
The doublethink is strong with this one.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 05:43:57 pm »

What you talkin' bout, willis?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 05:45:14 pm »

What you talkin' bout, willis?
I'm talking about anti-rape advocates complaining about an anti-rape tool.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 11:48:27 pm »
I suppose this counts as a source:http://jezebel.com/5404064/rapists-admit-repeated-crimes--as-long-as-you-dont-call-it-rape
I was just going to talk about that survey. It just seemed so surreal when I read about it the first time. What kind of guy goes: "Would you rape? no. Would you have sex with someone who does not want to have sex with you? YEA BABEEE! I DO THAT AAALLL THE TIME!" I just can't understand HOW someone can have such a disconnect or whatever in their mind that they do not understand what rape is.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!