Author Topic: The alt-right is shitting up the Hugo slates again  (Read 24433 times)

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
The alt-right is shitting up the Hugo slates again
« on: April 26, 2016, 05:35:10 pm »
The 2016 Hugo Finalists were announced earlier today. I didn't take a complete look but I'm seeing the usual suspects on the list (Vox, his Castalia House vanity press, etc.)

In short: whiny dark enlightenment losers setting themselves up for failure again this year.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Online ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: The alt-right is shitting up the Hugo slates again
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 05:42:37 pm »
Why oh why do these idiots try and gain acceptance in areas they never will?

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 05:53:11 pm »
It's about ethics in SF&F awards, clearly. You know, that hive of feminism and progressive values that is everyone-but-the-puppies.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 05:56:45 pm »
There are valid reasons to criticize the puppies, but they have legitimate grievances.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 06:02:34 pm »
How did I know?

How did I know yet another alt-right stake would be your stake too, UP?

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 06:03:03 pm »
Can we please save time and trouble now that UP's here? Just copy/paste last years thread, and zero fucks given, k? As of this moment, a potential intelligent discussion is stillborn.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 06:03:55 pm »
How did I know?

How did I know yet another alt-right stake would be your stake too, UP?

Is "alt right" just code for "anything you don't like?"

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 06:04:46 pm »
"Legitimate reasons" in this case refers to their paranoid fantasy the Ess Jay Double Yews have scret cabals that botked the voting. Another one for our F&B dictionary.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 06:10:12 pm »
"Legitimate reasons" in this case refers to their paranoid fantasy the Ess Jay Double Yews have scret cabals that botked the voting. Another one for our F&B dictionary.

It's nothing so grandiose as that.  Here's what Correria had to say:

“Short Version:
 1. I said a chunk of the Hugo voters are biased toward the left, and put the author’s politics far ahead of the quality of the work. Those openly on the right are sabotaged. This was denied.
 2. So I got some right wingers on the ballot.
 3. The biased voters immediately got all outraged and mobilized to do exactly what I said they’d do.
 4. Point made.”

Online ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 06:13:04 pm »
God every fucking time you just come charging in with a "now see here!" and don't understand why you're being baited.

Ironbite-fucking hell dude.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 06:25:19 pm »
Yeah, point one was the aforementioned tinfoil-hat conspiracy theory pulled directly from the puppies hairy buttholes.

The rest is them justifying doing exactly ehat they accused the mythical legions of shadowy lefties in Fandom of doing.

Hmm, invent a conspiracy of the left because a bunch of people are saying something you don't like, gather a mob of manbabies to shit in the pool so nobody can use it. Reminds me of something, what was that again?

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 06:25:31 pm »
I was not kidding.

Oh my, would you Look at the time, gaize?! Have a Happy Sad Puppies Day, 2016!

Let's read the minutes from last year's meeting, started innocently enough by Askold:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/apr/09/george-rr-martin-right-wing-broken-hugo-awards?CMP=share_btn_fb

http://www.catherynnemvalente.com/holding-the-hugos-and-the-english-language-hostage-for-fun-and-profit/

So... Apparently people have drawn politics into SF/F writing awards. Not the first time it has happened but this time Vox Day, Torgersen and their crew have been far more successful.

As Torgersen wrote:

[Twenty years ago] “if you saw a lovely spaceship on a book cover, with a gorgeous planet in the background, you could be pretty sure you were going to get a rousing space adventure featuring starships and distant, amazing worlds”. Nowadays, he claims, the same jacket is likely to be a story “merely about racial prejudice and exploitation, with interplanetary or interstellar trappings”.

OH NO! The damn commies are talking about social issues in their books rather than writing about brainless swashbuckling heroism where conservative heroes save damsels in distress! THIS ATROCITY MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO CONTINUE! And as a result they organized voting to make sure that "proper" books win the award.

G.R.R. Martin complains that from now on Hugo awards will be won by the books that have had the best organized campaigns rather than those that were most liked by the readers.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 06:26:02 pm »
How the fuck do all these guests storm into these kinds of threads?

You know, the ones whose sessions start within seconds of each other like they're being disseminated from a botnet.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 06:33:33 pm »

It's nothing so grandiose as that.  Here's what Correria had to say:

“Short Version:
 1. I said a chunk of the Hugo voters are biased toward the left, and put the author’s politics far ahead of the quality of the work. Those openly on the right are sabotaged. This was denied.
 2. So I got some right wingers on the ballot.
 3. The biased voters immediately got all outraged and mobilized to do exactly what I said they’d do.
 4. Point made.”

Ah. People who read are biased to the left, eh? Next you'll be telling me bears are biased to shitting in the woods.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 07:46:02 pm »
I kind of wonder how these two books are related to Science Fiction - seeing as they are in the 'related works' category:

“Safe Space as Rape Room” by Daniel Eness (castaliahouse.com)
SJWs Always Lie: Taking Down the Thought Police by Vox Day (Castalia House)